What's new

Kotal is so bad, it's unbearable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjaboy

Grandmaster Blueberry Ice
Kotal is complete garbage. When I first saw him on the Kombat Kast I thought he was gonna be pretty okay, but NO he ended up being trash.

How do you Kotal mains do it?

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Seriously though, just watch Mr Aquaman, Furious Pillow, JeffreyWolf, etc, great Kotals

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I have over 1000 matches clocked in as Kotal and it was rough, I been playing Noob since then lol

I chuckle everytime Sub-Zero says to Noob..." Time has revealed your true character " lol yes sir it has.

Last edited:

Ninjaboy

Grandmaster Blueberry Ice
I have over 1000 matches clocked in as Kotal and it was rough, I been playing Noob since then lol

I chuckle everytime Sub-Zero says to Noob..." Time have revealed your true character " lol yes sir it has.
I love playing Noob, I just don't like one of his costumes.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I mained Kotal for the first few weeks before switching to Kung Lao, who was considered to be about as bad as him at the time. I was convinced that Kung Lao was better than people said, and I was right. Same with Kotal, but I was wrong.

His whole archetype is based around controlling space and match pace. Parrying projectiles, hitting them with unblockables, putting the sun beam on them, all to make your opponent approach you. Then you can start hit them with long normals, pushing them back with F34 and F4, confirming into damage with F24 and F12. He's a different breed of zoning character. It just doesn't work very well. But I think Totemic has a much better kit for doing all that. I'd play it but I really don't like the cat shit.

I'm still 100% committed to making either him, Shao Kahn, or Raiden work

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
He's not trash and all the best kotals would tell you so, but why bother, let's downplay him on tym like everyone else.
I remember watching a bunch of your tech videos talking about how to properly apply his F34 and Sunbeam and what not and you were talking about them as though they were these great tools, while also listing off the endless caveats related to them.

After F34 you can meaty with sunbeam. That's nice, it does a guaranteed one percent(?), but even that's punishable by Sub Zero Slide, Shadow Kick, Kano Ball, Sand Trap, etc. But why not just get the extra 1% in a combo and not have to risk being punished for it? There's a lot of situations like that. I think he has a lot of underrated tools (His command throw is secretly very strong and helps make up for his lack of fast mids) but there's too much stuff you have to work around to make him work. He's fun tho, and I think he has a lot of potential with the right player.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
He needs help. You have to work more than twice as hard with Kotal as you do with almost any other character.

Yes, you can practice with him and win, but that doesn't change the fact that he has real flaws that leave him trailing behind the rest of the cast.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I wouldn't say he is trash, he is pretty risky at high level but he is effective now. Jailing is very important to host close up game. In Totemic you don't have to worry about eating a projectile just to get sunlight out for 2% and the beam goes where it belongs. He gains one of the best counter zoning tools that is now safe on block and also goes through projectiles.
He has legit unblockable setups that take a good chunk of life put that with the ability to regen health and already having 10% to 15% extra health is huge. His heal works off percentage so how much health he has base was a very important change to his healing from sunlight.
He has really good range and amazing movement with wavedash which can turn him into a full screen monster.
Sure he has issues but I feel he is viable now. You do have to put in more work but there are good reasons to pick Kotal in his current form.

I do have a much easier time using other characters but its like Sonic said "all characters are solid, but you have to work harder with some than others"

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I remember watching a bunch of your tech videos talking about how to properly apply his F34 and Sunbeam and what not and you were talking about them as though they were these great tools, while also listing off the endless caveats related to them.

After F34 you can meaty with sunbeam. That's nice, it does a guaranteed one percent(?), but even that's punishable by Sub Zero Slide, Shadow Kick, Kano Ball, Sand Trap, etc. But why not just get the extra 1% in a combo and not have to risk being punished for it? There's a lot of situations like that. I think he has a lot of underrated tools (His command throw is secretly very strong and helps make up for his lack of fast mids) but there's too much stuff you have to work around to make him work. He's fun tho, and I think he has a lot of potential with the right player.
Except I specifically mentioned that sunlight is something you can do vs some chars. F34 into unblockable is unpunishable and has to either be dwu or whiff an U3 on a read, not even reaction. Sunlight is your literal last choice compared to the setups you get instead.

There's people who complain about the char here after matches on Kl, and people who play on a high lvl vs good players and know when to use his tools.

He's bottom 3, without a single 7-3 losing matchup so far. If people can't deal with that, they should switch chars and leave the people who actually put in work cringe-free when browsing tym.

Last edited:

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
He needs help. You have to work more than twice as hard with Kotal as you do with almost any other character.

Yes, you can practice with him and win, but that doesn't change the fact that he has real flaws that leave him trailing behind the rest of the cast.
I think that is the problem with most NRS games and characters you can just flowchart simple shit that sonic shows you. In any scenario you should have to practice your character to win and the same should be with every character.

He's low tier but "unbearable"? Absolutely not.

Post patch Totemic absolutely works as a character now. There's no reason people shouldn't be able to make the character work now.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
He's low tier but "unbearable"? Absolutely not.

Post patch Totemic absolutely works as a character now. There's no reason people shouldn't be able to make the character work now.
Lots of people don't actually want to get better they just want to win with the least effort possible.

Totemic is still by far the most fun character I have played in mk11. The sunlight and totem trolling is just so fun. I'd honestly do a lot better with him if I didn't troll so hard.

Also everyone don't overhype his new panther dash. It is punishable by 7f attacks. The air one is very safe, but it also has very bad priority and will be anti aired often.

I won't go into details since that seems very ineffective on tym, but he can hang with the roster. There are very few match up that I feel are automatic losses. When you compare tools on paper sure he isn't good at all. But when you play against actual players and lab match up, he is consistently able to combat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.