God. DAMN. What a day it was.
So I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the game super early and boy oh boy, it's hella different from what I expected. Not in a bad way, mind you, but holy shit, I was super lost on how to play. I've been playing lots of MKX these past few weeks so when I got my hands on that early build I was immediately overwhelmed by the lack of mobility options in the game.
It feels like everyone has MKX Johnny Cage air time when jumping and not being able to run or dash-block felt really weird (but this one was expected tbh). But the dashes. Oh boy the dashes. But it's all cool, it's a different game and we have to adapt, right? I'm sure we'll get used to it, just like we did back in 2015.
Anyways, yesterday I asked for a few suggestions on what I should test in that build, so here's a (very short) list of my findings! Keep in mind that the version we played is the same one used for the LA and London events, so there wasn't anything new per se. Some of these might be old news for some (many?) but eh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just trying to help.
- Dashing IS the fastest way around, at least for Skarlet (didn't test this with other characters, but I'm pretty sure it'd be the same). I saw some people wondering whether simply walking would be a faster option to get from full screen to touching-distance from the opponent or not so here it is.I know this isn't a lot, but I hope these answer some questions.
- Breakaways have superarmor. I wanted to know if you could break its armor by hitting the opponent twice on the way down before they hit the ground but nope, fully armored.
- Delayed wakeup is still a thing. I'm just no sure if you can do Getup actions afterwards, so this makes this test basically irrelevant. lol sorry
- Flawless blocks are NOT as lenient as I was expecting. Many people mentioned that it has a 3-frame window so that sounds kinda forgiving, right? Noperino, they didn't come as easy as I anticipated. Or maybe I just suck, I dunno. Think of DMC Royal Guard but against human opponents instead of AI, that's the kind of shit we'll have to get good at.
- Standing normals as anti-airs are still viable. God it felt good to AA fools with Sonya's 1, even though I had no idea what combo to do afterwards. lol Other players were using Scorpion's 4 just like his MKX standing 3 to anti-air and that felt super satisfying to watch!
- Hitting someone out of a backdash counts as a Kounter. I thought they were going to remove this from this iteration because now they're not invincible on startup, but it's still there. The more I think about backdashes, the more useless they seem. I hope I'm wrong.
- There is a 'Fatal Blow Damage Boost: ON/OFF' setting in the Tournament tab (Options Menu). I never heard of this before and I obviously couldn't test it since Tournament mode wasn't available in that build. Does that mean Fatal Blows should do less damage in a competitive environment? Super weird option.
I wanted to get more time with the game but I was kinda busy with commentating! Holy shit, I was the very first person to commentate MK11 matches here in Brazil and I'm super proud of it!! It was super fun! Shoutouts to my boys at Kombat Klub and WB Games Brasil for this amazing opportunity, and an even more special shoutout to @Buiu for letting me commentate alongside him! Fucking honor, dude.
It was kinda weird having to commentate directly from the main stage and all (like WTF even), but hey, I still had a blast. lol
Speaking of commentated matches, the ones of you who watched some of those sets might be wondering why the matches were so freaking bad or even if those players have ever played a Mortal Kombat game once in their lives before.
So here's your answer.
The main stage setup was SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER laggy. I'm talking about ONE AND A HALF SECOND of delay. I'm not even exaggerating, it was freaking terrible. Ask @Killer Xinok. Shit was bad. lol
I swear our players are better than that! lmao And to prove that, check Kombat Klub's youtube channel for some sets in an actual playable setup. (I'm pretty sure Xinok is going to post some matches in his youtube channel too, so you can keep an eye out for that)
And since we're already here, here's a small set featuring yours truly against GuiEXEptional, one of SouthAmerica's finest Scorpions in MKX.
Yes, I know, I kept insisting on doing the same combo over and over even though Sonya's b123 is clearly punishable on block, but c'mon I only had a few hours with the game, pls don't hate me lol
All in all, amazing event through and through. The staff was amazing, the venue was amazing, the game was amazing and Sonya was amazing (as hard as it is to admit it haha). I miss it already, goddammit.
"Konvocação" - My hands-on impressions, in-game tests results and more