What's new

Konquer Menu Guy Is Erron Black (Lore Theory)

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
Before I begin this post I must clarify that finding what is canon and what isn't, has become troublesome for this theory. I do remember an episode of Kombat Kast where it was stated that intro dialogues are canon/related to the story. Since then I can't find the source so please don't take this post to heart. At the end of the day the Konquer Menu guy could simply be an NPC..... But I'm in high hopes this is a character with a lore

Let's begin with a few comparisons with Konquer Menu Guy and Erron Black:

First there is somewhat of a similarity with the face model of Erron Black (MK11) and Konquer Menu Guy. The similarity here are the mask, hair color, and eyebrow.

Do take note that TIME and AGE are a major role in MK11. From the trailer younger characters of X appear to help or fight. Example: Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Liu Kang (I think), and Kano.

Holster and Arm Gear:

This next image might be an extreme reach but...........

From here on I'm going to dissect the lore in MKX. I'm going to color code dialogue to help understand Erron Black's character. Blue = Mystery, Red = Questioning, Green = Clear/Specific.

Erron's Mortal Kombat X Bio: "Erron Black's exact origins are unknown. Born on Earth, he somehow found himself in Outworld. There he spent years wandering its vast territories, selling his amazing weaponry skills to local warlords. Now in the employ of the emperor, Kotal Kahn, Black shows no inclination to return to Earthrealm--or aid them in their present struggles."

Mystery: His origin is unknown yet the following line it states he was born on Earth. I don't think this was a flaw in the writing department, I genuinely believe they've kept Erron Black is secretive because he must have a massive role to play in the story of Mortal Kombat.

Questioning: How did a mere mortal gain access to another realm? Now this one may seem simple as shown throughout the series of other Earth members but do take note that Erron Black is from an Era long before, quite possibly before the entire Mortal Kombat series took place.

MORTAL KOMBAT X INTERACTION 1:

Kenshi: The friendless wanderer.
Erron Black: Least I don't take orders from a woman.
Kenshi: Which century are you from?

Clear: Before meeting Kotal Khan, Erron Black was well established in Outworld, taking on solo missions and hire from powerful warlords. This line is a clear indication that there is a story in process, Erron going to Outworld, becoming a cowboy in Outworld, etc.

The last text I originally highlighted it red as a question because both in the comic and the video game we don't know how exactly and when exactly Erron Black became the Right Hand man (or Left Hand man) of Kotal Khan. We know nothing of their past, only thing we know is that Kotal Khan has high respect as he spared his life and imprisoning Black for his betrayal.

The question I want to purpose: Before meeting Kotal Khan did Erron Black take on a job to Shang Tsung's Island? Did Erron Black visit Shang Tsung's Island before going to Outworld? When did Erron Black become immortal?

ERRON BLACK MKX ENDING:

Nearly 150 years ago, Erron Black had been hired by Shang Tsung to assassinate an Earthrealm warrior. In return, Shang had slowed Black's aging process. He could therefore afford to be patient. If an employer wanted someone dead, they would be in time. A team of young Earthrealm warriors had caused Erron Black's current employer, Kotal Kahn, much inconvenience. With the patience of a viper, Black eliminated them all.

There is a constant debate between MK fans about what is canon and what isn't when it comes to Tower Endings. Now clearly Erron's ending is canon, all for expect killing Jax, Takeda, and Cage, that is obviously bull. But for those who want to dismiss this ending here's specific dialogue to Erron's ending.

MORTAL KOMBAT INTERACTION 2:

Erron Black: You went to Earth long ago...
Kotal Kahn: How do you know this?
Erron Black: I'm older than I look.

MORTAL KOMBAT INTERACTION 3:

Ermac: Our magic will consume you.
Erron Black: I have some of my own...
Ermac: A pittance compared to ours.​

So before I move on to the conclusion I want to establish what we've covered so far
  • Erron Black can possibly be the second/third/fourth/fifth oldest character in the Mortal Kombat series. (If Black is truly an old character I think he's younger than Kitana who is
    10,000 years old)
  • Erron Black was taking on jobs as a mercenary.
  • Black has somehow managed to enter into other worlds being a mere mortal.
  • Erron Black's Philosophy is money. He believes in money and only.
There is much more to cover but these are the important ones. The final dialogues I want to share are ones that are questionable to Erron's lore.

Erron Black: The fallen princess...
Kitana: The wandering fool...
Erron Black: Introductions complete. Let's go.

Erron Black: Got no chance, Liu Kang.
Liu Kang: You have a high opinion of yourself...
Erron Black: I've earned it...

Erron Black: Just walk away, Torr.
Ferra/Torr: Torr walk on your head.
Erron Black: Further proof of a godless universe...
CONCLUSION: Long before the Mortal Kombat series took place Erron Black found a path to Outworld, there he began his life as a mercenary. Eventually through rumors, hearing, OR possibly taking an unknown job involving Shang Tsung. There he takes on the rituals and trials of the island, completing then proving his worth as a fighter having a high opinion of himself. Black being referred to as a wondering fool implies his dealing with Shang Tsung or his idiocy of just wondering of all the realms. Kotal Khan hears of Erron Black and hires him......

You can clown the fuck out of me if this turns out to be an NPC. Hell you can clown on me for writing this long ass post 2AM in the morning (now 5) but I truly believe the images from the trailer and the presented hints from the previous story is indeed Erron Black.​

Last edited:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Although I don't believe this for a second, I really like it.

It would be cool if in the krypt, you play as Erron Black who just completed his assassination mission for Shang, and this is his reward. In the end, he finds a chest that has the power to slow his aging.

That aside, I think the guy is either a new NPC or Scorpion.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I love this Erron theory and would love if you nailed it tbh.

I actually think it might still be the Kollector, but before he was turned into a freak.

What if after plundering through the Krypt, at the end he gets cursed by Shang Tsung because of his greed and has to live the rest of his life as a monster?

Either way, I would love for this to be a filled in story for Erron.
You really got me excited for it.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
It's not that tbh.

It's more about the fact that some previously released characters don't really have a fleshed out story without holes all over it (like Erron).
Yet he's missing Erron's signature characteristic, a gun. Why not just say he's probably Scorpion before he decided to start wearing yellow if we're filling plot holes?

trufenix

bye felicia
We have so many good 3D era characters that already have fans and deserve a second shot in the spotlight.
Nobody deserves a spot except NRS favorites and obviously the 3d characters aren't them.

People will be saying this samething about Kung Jin and Takeda and Ferra/torr in a few games.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Nobody deserves a spot except NRS favorites and obviously the 3d characters aren't them.

People will be saying this samething about Kung Jin and Takeda and Ferra/torr in a few games.
And they'll be welcome to do so. 3D era characters didn't get a chance to shine because of the limitations of that time, in a few games there will be new technology, writing techniques and so on.

When the time comes it makes sense for someone to speak up if they belive that some terrible MKX character deserves a second chance.

ps: I actually like Takeda.

Reactions: Zev

trufenix

bye felicia
And they'll be welcome to do so. 3D era characters didn't get a chance to shine because of the limitations of that time, in a few games there will be new technology, writing techniques and so on.

When the time comes it makes sense for someone to speak up if they belive that some terrible MKX character deserves a second chance.

ps: I actually like Takeda.
3d era characters didn't get a chance to shine because they mostly sucked. mk9 didn't just "accidentally" reboot the franchise.