What's new

KombatNetwork deserves an apology

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Man the FGC just can't get no love lately. Struggling. Red headed step child status.

Props to people like @Shock and others who do try to provide a friendly, fun FG environment. Because we now know that some organizations sure as hell don't give a damn.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Ok LBSH:

NEC 2012 as stated was not shocks fault. I was there and the issue was one player and i do like his game style /play with catwomen but i won't bs @GGA 16 Bit holding up the tournament due to bracket issues. The only legit complaint was the addition of a player after the brackets were finalized due to an over sight by one of the to's/bracket creators. The info about this player was discussed long prior to NEC2012 on the on blast show. Yes some people complained about the player being added to a later pool but was that really a reason to hold up the entire tournament for hours.
Then to sit there and watch the on blast show when the GGA twitch video showed 16bit openly talking about "rigging the tournament" i realize 2+2 can = 4.
Maybe the player that held up the tournament for 2 hrs plus was upset that certain things he thought would happen such as who he will play etc. didn't happen?

Then to sit there and rip apart final round 2014 after you delayed NEC2012 causing people like my roommate/friend @DarKNaTaS to not be able to play the first day and wait till Sunday.

I think MLG should learn from this experience. I have no idea who the streamer was on the FGC mlg channel but that person was terrible. I understand having the need to run commercials fine but to run dead air with your stupid music is 100 percent stupid. Not only does this make the stream crap it makes everyone bored. Look at when Injustice was on about an hour ago for the side tournament on nextlevel's stream. Was their as much commericals as there was on the fgc stream. Sorry if this is E-sports please lets just play for fun and keep grass roots as the future.

Honestly MLG if you want to fix this first thing you do is next time have someone from the community/grass roots run the dam stream. @UltraDavid & @Tom Brady should not have to tell people to go on stream when no one is on stream. How can someone see no one is on stream and tell @FOREVER KING & jupiter (i think it was) to play off stream. SMH. An appogloy to the community is also in order MLG because your a big E-sports and you shouldn't leave this rotten taste in your mouth after the cancellation of an MLG arena in NYC with no reason as to why.

I believe kombatnetwork does deserve an apology because their were issues outside of their control imo & the same way their was internet issues at the start of mlg this can happen anywhere and we shouldn't hold people at fault. @Shock @BigE why not force the venue to sign a contract which would state if you can't provide this internet service you advertise for our service and we have to use our 4g cell phones you will reimburse the TO's or streamers due to failure to provide proper internet.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Monitor Lag.

Sorry, too soon?

I mean they willingly want fighting game tournaments there. They give incentive to the players to come out and spend a lot of time and money to participate. But then they get locked in, and are suddenly being told how to play, when to play, where they can/can't stand. Security telling everyone who's doing what and when. Like they should have gotten a sharp kick to the balls. CoD players are the little angels of the venue, and we're looked at as the Underworld scum. Don't invite us if you don't fucking want us there, or are just trying some appalling test run. How'd that work for you MLG? Deliberate or not, there were so many incidents, it's almost impossible to think that everything was just unprepared and unorganized. No, they wanted to be sure the big games we're running 100% first and foremost. And if that meant we had to wait and suffer for 2 days, or however long it took, then basically we could deal with it or get fucked.

And then they just kind stand back as if to tell you without speaking, "Uh, what? What did we do?". Good luck waiting for an apology, to anyone.

If I owned a league like this, I'd never in a million years branch out to a different genre, and then just blatantly ignore and disrespect a very solid and passionate group of pro fighting game players. But if we drew the crowds that CoD or SC2 does, why I bet it'd be just 3 days of Heaven.

And I'm sure they'll try again next year. I know for damn sure they'll never get a dime from me or another wasted second on stream.

A few people believe me, but to the uninformed, this is a business to them. It's not like our majors where it's more about the experience and bring the FGC together. They are about making the cheddar any way they can. If it means a couple little harmless tricks, pissing a group of people off, or some maneuvering, it'll be done. eSports in general are notorious for that.

And I know I'll get some backlash. I've been trying to say it for 2 days without being blunt. But that's how MLG and eSports leagues are. CoD is still a cash cow, granted not like it was in it's prime, but it makes them money. The bill jar will be handled carefully over the piggy bank.

Basically, everyone took something away from this weekend. You either somehow had a blast and didn't care, or you felt disrespected, ignored, and basically invalidated. All while spending hundreds of dollars and probably time off work to please their sorry asses.

I knew eSports were dirty, just didn't ever expect them to be so damn oh well shit happens about it.

/rant. 40 hours no sleep. Hallucinating hah.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I know people will disagree or say I don't know what I'm talking about. That's fine, you have your opinion. And by all means go every year if you want.

It won't get much better. MK9 had 2 good tournaments. And good being a little exaggerated. We don't generate the money they look forward to. If you look at the league as a business with a solid cover, it makes more sense. Gaming is still big business. I didn't believe my older friend I used to play Counter Strike with growing up. But money can take a hold of anyone or anything.

Just very sad the way we're looked at still. I feel bad for everyone, not just the players that attend. I mean these games are our hobby and/or passion. Everyone needs something in life they enjoy and can be proud to be good at. And then to basically get ridiculed because it's a unpopular genre or not enough people attend, and instantly thrown to the wayside, that's unacceptable. They aren't even trying to be good at deceiving, they are parading it around in front of faces saying "Haha, can't do anything about it!".

And I just have to say, running multi-matches at once, that a lot of people have been eagerly waiting for off stream is just down right a kick to the face.

Basically, unless you plan on joining a pro SC2/DOTA/CoD team, we don't belong in eSports. Rather, we don't ever WANT to be fixed in eSports. Hopefully it dies one day. It's been 10+ years too long.

It'd be nice to give them a collective piece of our mind, but it'd be talking to a brick wall.

On that note, CEO will be awesome!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@nuttyAFA - I don't need defenders, I can come in here and post walls of text that will end threads out pure epicness loaded with facts and valuable information with the best of them, but if people want to chime in and say their piece, it's fine. If they say something wrong, I can correct it.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The only legit complaint was the addition of a player after the brackets were finalized due to an over sight by one of the to's/bracket creators. The info about this player was discussed long prior to NEC2012 on the on blast show. Yes some people complained about the player being added to a later pool but was that really a reason to hold up the entire tournament for hours.
Riu48 asked for a later pool because he couldn't make it to the event until after 7PM which was done, iirc, something like 2 weeks before the tournament. We have made this accommodation to MANY players over the years as it is not difficult to seed around that. If it gets excessive you have to decline at some point, but one or two players asking for late brackets due to their personal schedule is OK. Think about it, that person is only coming tot he tournament to play in his time frame and maybe get casuals after, no time to chill or warm up before hand, just dedicated to play. Riu48 was supposed to be in the bracket he was placed in the entire time, it's just that he was overlooked.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@RelentlessOhio
Something the big complainers about the FGC talk about is how TOs will cater to certain games. Well duh. These are the money makers, not to say that MK9 and Injustice haven't put money in the pockets of a handful of TOs, but they don't draw like Marvel and SF4. They just DON'T but we still get a LOT considering. If we don't get EVERYTHING there's a problem? Sorry but you guys don't know what it's like to be told to show up to a venue with my equipment and hope there's an open spot to run UMK3 when I have 16 people putting a lot of time aside, waiting at the hotel to play it. That is some shit the vast majority of you guys know nothing about.

NRS started getting its own ROOM at Big E events, MK9, UMK3, MKII, MKvDC, even KI was adopted, all in one room, run by the people who love that community, given the sign up sheets, making the pools ourselves, correcting every little mistake and micromanaging the shit out it so you are all happy, taking the money for entries, and coordinating with Big E. Eventually shit got too big and other scenes who did the same thing weren't doing the right thing, so it stopped. This also was around the time when prereg was getting more popular. The money has to be accounted for. This is getting more and more difficult to do. Eventually we might have to go MLG and say fuck it, here are the top 8 seeds, the rest is pretty much random.

But getting back to the point, it is clear that MLG has obligations to other games just like the FGC. I'm not sure exactly what happened with the mentality behind the kind treatment we got from MK9 to Injustice, but from what I've been told, this MLG did not have the FGC liaisons that MK9 did. There were players from OUR community running the behind the scenes shit that maybe a lot of you aren't aware of. This time around, it was all MLG staff and they just simply don't know, or maybe don't care how to handle us and just do what they do with everyone else. If this is the case, then MLG didn't really make the entire experience for MK9 what it was, it was the teamwork involved. Helping each other out gets us places, trying to tear shit down doesn't.

I'm not going anywhere.

jamessmk

I am your god
Monitor Lag.

Sorry, too soon?

I mean they willingly want fighting game tournaments there. They give incentive to the players to come out and spend a lot of time and money to participate. But then they get locked in, and are suddenly being told how to play, when to play, where they can/can't stand. Security telling everyone who's doing what and when. Like they should have gotten a sharp kick to the balls. CoD players are the little angels of the venue, and we're looked at as the Underworld scum. Don't invite us if you don't fucking want us there, or are just trying some appalling test run. How'd that work for you MLG? Deliberate or not, there were so many incidents, it's almost impossible to think that everything was just unprepared and unorganized. No, they wanted to be sure the big games we're running 100% first and foremost. And if that meant we had to wait and suffer for 2 days, or however long it took, then basically we could deal with it or get fucked.

And then they just kind stand back as if to tell you without speaking, "Uh, what? What did we do?". Good luck waiting for an apology, to anyone.

If I owned a league like this, I'd never in a million years branch out to a different genre, and then just blatantly ignore and disrespect a very solid and passionate group of pro fighting game players. But if we drew the crowds that CoD or SC2 does, why I bet it'd be just 3 days of Heaven.

And I'm sure they'll try again next year. I know for damn sure they'll never get a dime from me or another wasted second on stream.

A few people believe me, but to the uninformed, this is a business to them. It's not like our majors where it's more about the experience and bring the FGC together. They are about making the cheddar any way they can. If it means a couple little harmless tricks, pissing a group of people off, or some maneuvering, it'll be done. eSports in general are notorious for that.

And I know I'll get some backlash. I've been trying to say it for 2 days without being blunt. But that's how MLG and eSports leagues are. CoD is still a cash cow, granted not like it was in it's prime, but it makes them money. The bill jar will be handled carefully over the piggy bank.

Basically, everyone took something away from this weekend. You either somehow had a blast and didn't care, or you felt disrespected, ignored, and basically invalidated. All while spending hundreds of dollars and probably time off work to please their sorry asses.

I knew eSports were dirty, just didn't ever expect them to be so damn oh well shit happens about it.

/rant. 40 hours no sleep. Hallucinating hah.
Well said brother

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
@RelentlessOhio
Something the big complainers about the FGC talk about is how TOs will cater to certain games. Well duh. These are the money makers, not to say that MK9 and Injustice haven't put money in the pockets of a handful of TOs, but they don't draw like Marvel and SF4. They just DON'T but we still get a LOT considering. If we don't get EVERYTHING there's a problem? Sorry but you guys don't know what it's like to be told to show up to a venue with my equipment and hope there's an open spot to run UMK3 when I have 16 people putting a lot of time aside, waiting at the hotel to play it. That is some shit the vast majority of you guys know nothing about.

NRS started getting its own ROOM at Big E events, MK9, UMK3, MKII, MKvDC, even KI was adopted, all in one room, run by the people who love that community, given the sign up sheets, making the pools ourselves, correcting every little mistake and micromanaging the shit out it so you are all happy, taking the money for entries, and coordinating with Big E. Eventually shit got too big and other scenes who did the same thing weren't doing the right thing, so it stopped. This also was around the time when prereg was getting more popular. The money has to be accounted for. This is getting more and more difficult to do. Eventually we might have to go MLG and say fuck it, here are the top 8 seeds, the rest is pretty much random.

But getting back to the point, it is clear that MLG has obligations to other games just like the FGC. I'm not sure exactly what happened with the mentality behind the kind treatment we got from MK9 to Injustice, but from what I've been told, this MLG did not have the FGC liaisons that MK9 did. There were players from OUR community running the behind the scenes shit that maybe a lot of you aren't aware of. This time around, it was all MLG staff and they just simply don't know, or maybe don't care how to handle us and just do what they do with everyone else. If this is the case, then MLG didn't really make the entire experience for MK9 what it was, it was the teamwork involved. Helping each other out gets us places, trying to tear shit down doesn't.

I'm not going anywhere.
Whats even funnier is hearing complaints about grass root tournaments where the people who help run the event don't even collect a pay check. Yet MLG guys collect one and I don't see the same amount of shitting on like I do the KN people. Get a grip guys you shit all over people who do it for free instead of taking ownership of your shit and running it like smash. Smash now has been brought back in to the fold. Why because they have a stronger community then any of the poster boy "special treatment" communities. If you want to make things better just look at them and figure it out.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Whats even funnier is hearing complaints about grass root tournaments where the people who help run the event don't even collect a pay check. Yet MLG guys collect one and I don't see the same amount of shitting on like I do the KN people. Get a grip guys you shit all over people who do it for free instead of taking ownership of your shit and running it like smash. Smash now has been brought back in to the fold. Why because they have a stronger community then any of the poster boy "special treatment" communities. If you want to make things better just look at them and figure it out.
Only in the last year have I started to get any money for streaming or supplying equipment, and I like to throw the KN staff some cash when I have it, I never charge staff to stay in my room or gas money and I buy them lunch/dinner/snacks/drinks as often as I can, they can all vouch for that. This is entirely up to me taking money out of what I'm given or expecting though. It's still however, not a lot for these guys who do so much work. It's a LOT more work now than it ever was.

Nobody should be discouraged to go to a KN major period. KN has supported MK and injustice for years, MLG was great but it was still just 4 tournaments.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
Only in the last year have I started to get any money for streaming or supplying equipment, and I like to throw the KN staff some cash when I have it, I never charge staff to stay in my room or gas money and I buy them lunch/dinner/snacks/drinks as often as I can, they can all vouch for that. This is entirely up to me taking money out of what I'm given or expecting though. It's still however, not a lot for these guys who do so much work. It's a LOT more work now than it ever was.
Once again shock you are the person who continues to quietly go to work and do the thankless job. I respect that as should alot of other people to bad there are some hollywood people who believe they are shitting gold.