What's new

Kombat Tomb Podcast - Ep. 17 with Lord of the Fly

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The police story is fucking golden dude! I'm kinda torn between both sides of it though. I'm near Chicago, and I can say that EVERYONE goes at least 5 miles above the speed limit unless its like a school zone. Police do have a quota, its 80 tickets a month. And I have to agree with slips on that point, policing like that isn't about keeping us safe, its about business. There's no money to be made from capturing a murderer or rapist, but plenty to be made by pulling over "speeders". My friend got a ticket for going one mile an hour above the speed limit. #neveracopwhenyouneedone

As for the VSM guys. They are amazing players that also get to practice against themselves all the time. A very hard combination to beat if you ask me. I hope some of them can make it to FR. As for the callouts; the good thing about being a Sheeva player is that I don't bother anybody and they don't bother me :)

jamessmk

I am your god
You mean Rocky 1-6, right?

Either that, or I'm forgetting about Rocky 16, where Rocky wakes up from a coma in the year 3000 to enter a boxing match against the alien champ, and Apollo Creed is brought back from the dead as a head in a jar on a robot body.

...Whoops. Spoilers.
Yeah.. You must of missed that one 15. Limited release in the states. 15 he fought Wayne Gretzky. Then in 16 he fought Neil Pert :)

Altaire

Noob
Yeah.. You must of missed that one 15. Limited release in the states. 15 he fought Wayne Gretzky. Then in 16 he fought Neil Pert :)
Dude, Rocky doesn't have a fucking chance. If Neil Peart can beat a motherfucker's face like he can beat a drumkit, Rocky would get regulated.

Ebert and Roeper would give that shit two thumbs up, though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Were we created to save the universe from its inevitable killing of itself? I'm thinking yea, and thats the meaning of life.
You're searching for answers for the wrong questions. Saying we have a purpose is assuming we were created, and there's no evidence to suggest that we were created. We (humans) came about through evolution, regardless if you believe in religion or not, the evidence for evolution cannot be ignored. The meaning of life is subjective, ironically. I just don't see how you can come up with an objective theory on the purpose of life in general.

I'll be at FR though, we can discuss random bullshit there if you want, lol.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
You're searching for answers for the wrong questions. Saying we have a purpose is assuming we were created, and there's no evidence to suggest that we were created. We (humans) came about through evolution, regardless if you believe in religion or not, the evidence for evolution cannot be ignored. The meaning of life is subjective, ironically. I just don't see how you can come up with an objective theory on the purpose of life in general.

Exactly.

Whats Slips is proposing is that some higher power created the universe. That higher power then said "this universe is doomed to fail" and set some sort of timer until the end of the universe. Then that higher power came up with the idea of the human race and decided he should give them the ability to save the universe. So then the higher power creates the human race and just lets us do our thing to see what happens? Like some kind of twisted game? If what you're saying is true... then that means that OUR meaning of life is a complete joke.

But, obviously I don't think any of this is true. Just pointing out what I see as flaws in the logic. Damn I love discussions about this shit.

i like how lord of the fly talks about other players like a pro wreastler =D
hey guys Critcism is hard to take sometimes, but thats what makes or breaks you, you gotta forever keep learning. you dig? Either way im a fly fan.

The first time I got blown up online by a kitana I asked the guy to keep having matches with me until I could dominate the match up. It how I picked up Raka as my second. never looked back

Flagg

Noob

Interesting fact, if you could rewind time like a tape, and start again from 500 million years ago, life would evolve completely differently to how it is now, and several species, including humans, would likely not exist. Evolution has tons and tons of factors and variables that include genetic drift, natural selection, available resources, mutations, speciation, location and so on. 16 Bit is correct in that it's just pure chance that humans exist in the first place.

The Meaning of Life is survival, and that's it. Every species, every individual animal spends each day of its life, surviving till the end of the day. That's the meaning of life. Surviving and evolving.

LEGEND

YES!
Interesting fact, if you could rewind time like a tape, and start again from 500 million years ago, life would evolve completely differently to how it is now.
i strongly disagree, everything is on a set trajectory

shit happens because something caused it to happen. "Randomness" is only our lack of understanding about the factors involved

EDIT: just like how choice is an illusion

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
16 Bit is correct in that it's just pure chance that humans exist in the first place.
See my previous post. ANY evolutionary biologist or anybody who has spent any amount of time researching evolution will tell you that our evolution process was NOT chance.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Exactly.

Whats Slips is proposing is that some higher power created the universe. That higher power then said "this universe is doomed to fail" and set some sort of timer until the end of the universe. Then that higher power came up with the idea of the human race and decided he should give them the ability to save the universe. So then the higher power creates the human race and just lets us do our thing to see what happens? Like some kind of twisted game? If what you're saying is true... then that means that OUR meaning of life is a complete joke.

But, obviously I don't think any of this is true. Just pointing out what I see as flaws in the logic. Damn I love discussions about this shit.
I don't think we are 'special' or there was a higher power that created us for any special reason. I just life IS the result of evolution. I know I used the terminology that matter's energy 'created' us, but I'm just trying to say energy's evolution to preserve it's existence is making life.

And I know energy isn't capable of 'thinking', but neither do micro-organisms or plants. A plant will bend toward sunlight to gain nutrients or warp itself around a pole so it can keep growing. It has no intelligence, but it's instincts allow it to survive.

I know the Sun isn't 'alive' but maybe matter's energy has a sense of self-preservation on a much grander scale that we don't comprehend. We all know we are going to die, but why do we fear death if we know our energy won't be dissolved? What is this insane urge with our instincts to live and create offspring if we know life is pointless anyway? There must be a greater purpose, otherwise our number 1 priority wouldn't be self-preservation.

BTW I keep saying 'matter's energy' because I want to hold true that energy never ceases to exit, just transferred. When the universe collapses on itself everything will probably just turn into dark matter.

Flagg

Noob
i strongly disagree, everything is on a set trajectory

shit happens because something caused it to happen. "Randomness" is only our lack of understanding about the factors involved

EDIT: just like how choice is an illusion
No im correct. For instance, I could find a river, build a brick wall dividing the one species of fish in the river, thus creating two groups of the same species. Over several generations, those two groups will evolve to the point if I removed the barrier, they could not breed with each other.

Mutation is another factor. Mutations is natures wild card. They either work or they don't, and they massively rely on what is happening to the species in it's environment at the time.

You might think there is some set plan, that everything was meant to happen, I dont. I've been studying subjects like evolution for the last 4 years, so im fairly well informed.

Not putting you on blast, but i do know what im talking about in this case.

You're right that "shit happens because something caused it to happen", and you're right, but things like forest fires can wipe out an entire species forever. Anything can happen, and like I said, if you rewound time, and let the earth play from the start again, evolution would unravel in a completely different fashion, due to the massive amount of variables that ultimately govern evolution.

Flagg

Noob
See my previous post. ANY evolutionary biologist or anybody who has spent any amount of time researching evolution will tell you that our evolution process was NOT chance.
Sorry if this is a double post, but I would be most interested who these biologists and evolutionists are that think contrary to what i've just said. Sorry, this is starting to sound like "God was a biologist/scientist, and this is how he intended things to be".

If you have some papers or something to prove me wrong, im all for reading them.

LEGEND

YES!
No im correct. For instance, I could find a river, build a brick wall dividing the one species of fish in the river, thus creating two groups of the same species. Over several generations, those two groups will evolve to the point if I removed the barrier, they could not breed with each other.

Mutation is another factor. Mutations is natures wild card. They either work or they don't, and they massively rely on what is happening to the species in it's environment at the time.

You might think there is some set plan, that everything was meant to happen, I dont. I've been studying subjects like evolution for the last 4 years, so im fairly well informed.

Not putting you on blast, but i do know what im talking about in this case.

You're right that "shit happens because something caused it to happen", and you're right, but things like forest fires can wipe out an entire species forever. Anything can happen, and like I said, if you rewound time, and let the earth play from the start again, evolution would unravel in a completely different fashion, due to the massive amount of variables that ultimately govern evolution.
mutations and random environmental events all have an underlying cause, my logic still stands

we may not understand the causes for mutation but to straight up state that they are random and that you are right is complete and utter bullshit, no offense man

Flagg

Noob
mutations and random environmental events all have an underlying cause, my logic still stands

we may not understand the causes for mutation but to straight up state that they are random and that you are right is complete and utter bullshit, no offense man
Until there is better scientific understanding, for now mutations are seen as DNA trying to do different things, so it's fair to call it "random". It's not just mutations. I already highlighted my pond and wall example, that's called Speciation. Do you know why marsupials are predominately in Australia, and found nowhere else except for one species in South America? That's not because of some grand plan, it's due to the breaking up of the continents over time, and changing climates forcing certain species to migrate.

Then there is convergant evolution, that is species that aren't related to each other at all, but fill similiar niches in completely different parts of the world.

There are absolutely tons and tons of factors that I just cant explain in a few posts here, just how complex evolution is and it's not like a some sort of roast dinner that is put on for 3 hours to cook and everyone knows the outcome at the end of that time.