What's new

Kombat Tomb Podcast - Ep. 15 with JamessMK

YRemY

Noob
To K7, JamesMK and Slips: the only commandments Christians follow are love your God and your neighbor as yourself. Only Jews and, to a lesser extent, Muslims follow the 10 commandments. The only real 'unforgivable' sin, in my eyes, is an outright denial of God to the grave.

To 16 Bit: you can cherry pick from the Bible because it's not one book but rather a series of books, poems (arguably the first several chapters of Genesis), letters (the entire New Testament), and allegories (possibly Job), compiled together at a later date.

Just wanted to clear some misconceptions. I totally respect all your beliefs and you personally knowing what you believe or don't believe is what's important in the end. By the way, does Tom Brady's return mean there's now a precedence for returning guests? ;) Would love a sequel to all the guests featured so far.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Gotta say, James comes off as a total bad ass.
I reckon he's put someone in concrete boots and made them 'swim with the fishes', in my head at least. Good podcast, totally cool guy and great to hear some gaming history from his perspective.

Pound IC

Noob
Cannot get enough of these podcasts. I look like an idiot every Monday laughing at work with my headphones in.

Also, Jamessmk is awesome. I wish there was an arcade scene in Iowa City growing up...

after 2 days of stop/starting while at work... fiiiinally finished listening lol.

edit: being a member of the video game industry, for me... this was the best episode yet. a lot of it really hit home. dig it =)

Via_Negativa

Darkforge
Yes I listened to the whole thing and yes I loved it.... keep it up.

Why cant you guys get Aris on the show? That would be Amazing... I'm off to send him an email!

James is a very interesting dude with some good point's. I blasted him a bit for the whole paper legend thing cause I thought it was a bit lame, but this podcast gave me a new level of respect for the guy.

Hitbox should be banned... (unless developers start programming with it in mind)

I like how America seems to be the world for the MK community. Yes people play this game at a competitive level outside the US. it's unfortunate that many of us can not realistically complete with you guys due to obvious reasons and online the shit netcode doesn't help. Soul calibur proved to me recently that there is still some hope the industry will get it right and at least playable. It made me realize how bad Mk9's netcode really is..

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Maaaaaaaaaan why isn't the thumbnail showing up for this vid on YT? Anyone know how to fix this? It's pissing me off.

Via_Negativa

Darkforge
Great Podcast guys. I just want to comment on the Sony going under speculation. I realize that the US the xbox has outsold the PS3 3:2. But, worldwide the PS3 has outsold the xbox and the Wii has outsold ps3 and xbox combined. Also the portable gaming market is absolutely huge in other markets. I wouldn't be so hasty to say Sony is done for. Not to mention hardware-wise it blows the doors off of the xbox.

Actually no it doesn't. Only on paper (and that's actually arguable since the 360 has a better graphics card and more efficient memory management.) and ultimately that on paper theory, doesn't mean shit, because no one seems to be able to programme the damn thing right and just about every multiplatform title run's with a better framerate and looks better on the 360, and almost always loads faster. (yes, I own both consoles) I also hire on each before buying to see which is the better version. In almost all cases it end's up being XBox360. So guess what my Ps3 does..... Yes, it collects dust.

This isn't an opinion, it's fact.

This includes Mortal Kombat. On the ps3 it suffers from horrible slowdown particularly in Xray's but also in general gameplay which the 360 version does not exhibit. As for online yep better experience as well and MK is a perfect example. I can have a reasonably good time on 360 online with mk. Not so much on the ps3. the difference is acutely noticeable. (and I don't have to put up with gheytos...)

I have to disagree that Ps3 is better for fighters in general. Street-fighter for example even has input delay/frame timing issues on it. The controller is the only advantage and as a stick player like myself, who cares. Just about every fighting game has been proven to be a better quality port on 360 by guys like digital foundry. The one exception to this rule is Tekken 6 because the arcade is a Ps3, and the namco port was lazy.

Mr Wizard even said on wake-up SRK that they pretty much would not have gone with the ps3 if they knew what they knew now and in the next generation of consoles they will be making a better decision about which platform to support.

I think that a lot of the love for ps3 stems from the PS2 era, where they got it right. As the guys suggested it seems sony have actually forgotten the design principles that made them great. The forefront being, accessible and easy to program hardware for the developers.

/soapbox off

jamessmk

I am your god
Actually no it doesn't. Only on paper (and that's actually arguable since the 360 has a better graphics card and more efficient memory management.) and ultimately that on paper theory, doesn't mean shit, because no one seems to be able to programme the damn thing right and just about every multiplatform title run's with a better framerate and looks better on the 360, and almost always loads faster. (yes, I own both consoles) I also hire on each before buying to see which is the better version. In almost all cases it end's up being XBox360. So guess what my Ps3 does..... Yes, it collects dust.

This isn't an opinion, it's fact.

This includes Mortal Kombat. On the ps3 it suffers from horrible slowdown particularly in Xray's but also in general gameplay which the 360 version does not exhibit. As for online yep better experience as well and MK is a perfect example. I can have a reasonably good time on 360 online with mk. Not so much on the ps3. the difference is acutely noticeable. (and I don't have to put up with gheytos...)

I have to disagree that Ps3 is better for fighters in general. Street-fighter for example even has input delay/frame timing issues on it. The controller is the only advantage and as a stick player like myself, who cares. Just about every fighting game has been proven to be a better quality port on 360 by guys like digital foundry. The one exception to this rule is Tekken 6 because the arcade is a Ps3, and the namco port was lazy.

Mr Wizard even said on wake-up SRK that they pretty much would not have gone with the ps3 if they knew what they knew now and in the next generation of consoles they will be making a better decision about which platform to support.

I think that a lot of the love for ps3 stems from the PS2 era, where they got it right. As the guys suggested it seems sony have actually forgotten the design principles that made them great. The forefront being, accessible and easy to program hardware for the developers.

/soapbox off
And you are a perfect example of why I came back to this game after a 10yr hiatus. We don't have to agree on everything but we are united by a game. It does not matter where in the world people are from. Yes, maybe USA scene seems like they shit on the world, but in reality it is because it is hard to get world scene up and running. And that is my goal in the end. Kudos to you!!!

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
JamesMK was the best guest thus far. I loved his "i dont give a fuck" type of attitude but was very open minded and nice. He seems like a strong opinionated guy who has the intelligence and maturity to agree to disagree...sadly most people don't have this little gem. I am a huge fan of this podcast...the unholy trinity of 16 bit, Slips, and K7 is a wonderful and entertaining combination. Keep it up guys! A few points I wanted to comment on:

*I love how JamesMk expressed how it was cool that gays were a part of the mk scene. I'm gay and even I was shocked at how many of them play and dominate this game...love it. In fact, when I went to Devastation with my friend Samantha (the blonde that sat on Tom's lap on stream) we were both pleasantly surprised at how "cool" the vibe and energy was. I'll be honest, I thought it was just gonna be a fucking nerd fest but I met guys like Reo, Tom, Detroit, and CrazyKamikaze88 and it was pretty chill!
*Talking about games of the past has become one of my favorite little tid bits of these podcasts. I love hearing Slips and 16 talk about the old games...Mk, TMNT, crap like that...takes me back to my childhood.
*I love that you guys are HILARIOUS and RANDOM...but I hate having to listen to 16 bit and his constant disdain for anything Christian or Republican. I am a Christian but not a Republican and I don't really care what other people believe in or subscribe to politically as long as it doesn't negatively affect me directly. I find it so laughable that an agnostic/athiest SUPER Liberal like 16 bit has the gull to ask mere mortal human beings what God, GOD ALMIGHTY, was thinking or meant by this action....lol wigga please...some people have faith...some don't. If you don't believe in God...cool. If other people believe in God...cool. Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than when people throw stones at a deity that they don't believe exists. (I'm not throwing any shade or disrespect towards 16 bit, I believe he is entitled to his opinion and quite frankly I ENJOY hearing what he has to say because he is obviously smart and articulate....HOWEVER, I didn't care too much how he jumped all over Slips for his explanation of what he thought the "sacrifice of Jesus" meant and basically said that it was 'bullshit'.....hmmm no bueno).

With all that said, you 3 are seriously a joy to listen to and you give me something to look forward to when I'm at work. Just like Jamesmk stated, "You've got something great here"...he is spot on! Keep it up!

Shoryuken

Funny story... I started playing Smoke 4 months ago and was getting pissed that I was getting hit by crossup jump punches LOL

I feel your pain man, but what can you do?
What I want to know is when are we going to see the long awaited return of Konqrr, even if it is with another character. Haven't seen you in the tournament scene for awhile now. Hopefully you'll make it to one of these tourneys soon, or atleast do a podcast with those crazy guys from the Kombat Tomb.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
What I want to know is when are we going to see the long awaited return of Konqrr, even if it is with another character. Haven't seen you in the tournament scene for awhile now. Hopefully you'll make it to one of these tourneys soon, or atleast do a podcast with those crazy guys from the Kombat Tomb.
I'm coming back with a bang to Final Round. Causing a stir on my opinions about Noob lol

As for a podcast, I don't like to talk on the phone/internet/skype/whatever for long periods of time, I'd probably be on for an hour then hang up... I don't even answer the phone when my mom calls and I like her lol ... if it's important, they will leave a message.