What's new

Kombat Tomb Podcast - Ep. 15 with JamessMK

Hey Shoryuken, they actually did that extra damage thing before once in a game. Shujinko took more damage in Armageddon.
Really? To me it seems like NRS tried picking up the hit box concept from other games but missed the part where smaller hit box means less life or a disadvantage of some sort. Take Seth in SSF4 for example, he has the smallest hit box in the game and a whole bunch of really good tool for offense and defense. Even though a lot of combos whiff on him, when you actually hit him, it really counts. Could you imagine how stupid he would be if they gave him all those tools + regular stamina.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Liu gets %35 off a jik but it has to be deep. When you cross up a small hit box character that is using d1,d3,d4 its not possible to land it deep. Liu's primary combo starter hits low, so offense is not a big problem with him on any character. You don't get it though, your just going to keep looking at threw a bias point of view and not how much it effects the over all cast.
Seeing as how I play a character that doesn't get much off of a jump kick I don't see how I am biased. Lowering a hitbox is not exactly a broken mechanic even in the context of MK, and that's all I am saying. Being able to lower your hitbox doesn't mean offense is dead against the character it's just another option in the matchup.

To me it's like the Rune Trap. It's an interesting mechanic given to a character (In this case characters) to help distinguish them a bit.

Aww whatever man, your just arguing for the sake of arguing without making any real points. If you think its ok for a character to avoid pressure from most of the cast without any real effort, then I guess you don't know what high level game play is all about. Take Mileena for example, if every time you would go for a cross up or dash in for pressure, she would roll you, then that takes good reactions and/or a good read. That takes effort and skill to do that, and some high level players have the ability to do that, and I applaud them for doing so, cuz if they would have guess wrong they would have paid the price. Anyways thanx for your interest in my opinion, you know what they say "bad press is better than no press".

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Aww whatever man, your just arguing for the sake of arguing without making any real points. If you think its ok for a character to avoid pressure from most of the cast without any real effort, then I guess you don't know what high level game play is all about. Take Mileena for example, if every time you would go for a cross up or dash in for pressure, she would roll you, then that takes good reactions and/or a good read. That takes effort and skill to do that, and some high level players have the ability to do that, and I applaud them for doing so, cuz if they would have guess wrong they would have paid the price. Anyways thanx for your interest in my opinion, you know what they say "bad press is better than no press".
I do have a point, and that it's that d4 is not the end all be all pressure stopper that you believe it to be. I play against Morty, best Sonya in the whole world, and d4 is a great poke especially for her and turns the tables in some matchups, but it doesn't immediately make her unfair or any less "skillfull" than the rest of the cast. He's still gotta know when it works and when it doesn't. If I'm jump kicking him all day he'll stop d4ing.

You have been making sound like the very existence of a ducking move is completely unfair and dumb when I'm saying it's not because it has a counter.

Has anyone really complained in SSF4 that Ryu's c.mk can duck under a lot of things including jump-ins? No, it's just a matchup specific thing. Now while it's certainly better to have a ducking hitbox in this game, it's still basically the same: an option, and like Ryu-Guy matchup in SSF4 the nature of the matchup dictates how effective an option it is. Does d4 help these chars against keepaway? Against Kabal?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
i think christianity explains the whole "he died for our sins" by referencing the original sin of adam and eve. jesus's crucifixtion and resurrection would allow christians to enter heaven after death because he would be seen as a sacrifice to make up for the whole garden of eden thing (think of it like shao khan needing a way to step through the portal to earthrealm. lol).

This doesn't explain why any of this was needed though. Why would God, boss of all things, need for anything to be "allowed"? Shao Kahn has to play by the rules because the Elder Gods are in control. God is the Elder Gods.

Truth

Noob
This doesn't explain why any of this was needed though. Why would God, boss of all things, need for anything to be "allowed"? Shao Kahn has to play by the rules because the Elder Gods are in control. God is the Elder Gods.
As someone who studies philosophy, I think the heart of your argument is what is known as the Euthyphro Dilemma. Basically the idea is that is something morally good because it is morally good, or is it morally good because God commands it? In this scenario, are you asking why doesn't God simply make the rules as He pleases?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Shoryuken Low hitboxes in MK have been a thing since MKII.

Characters have strengths and weaknesses, low hitbox characters have a strength that other characters do not. It is just something you have to overcome to beat them.

Funny story... I started playing Smoke 4 months ago and was getting pissed that I was getting hit by crossup jump punches LOL

I feel your pain man, but what can you do?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Shoryuken Low hitboxes in MK have been a thing since MKII.

Characters have strengths and weaknesses, low hitbox characters have a strength that other characters do not. It is just something you have to overcome to beat them.

Funny story... I started playing Smoke 4 months ago and was getting pissed that I was getting hit by crossup jump punches LOL

I feel your pain man, but what can you do?
Dont worry i d4 under cross up punches and still get hit and ive mained smoke since the start, once you pick a character with a tiny hitbox you start trying to anti jip everyone, its depressing really.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Its too easy in these modern times to point out the flaws and hypocrisies of Christianity and God. But that doesn't mean there isn't a higher power.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Take Seth in SSF4 for example, he has the smallest hit box in the game and a whole bunch of really good tool for offense and defense. Even though a lot of combos whiff on him, when you actually hit him, it really counts. Could you imagine how stupid he would be if they gave him all those tools + regular stamina.
You have info horribly wrong, dude.

Seth's hitbox is tall AND wide. He is vulnerable to a number of big-hitbox combos...which means his low health is amplified.

Small hitboxes exist in other games and being able to lower them exists as well. It's not a new concept, nor is it an overpowering concept. If that were the case, Mileena would be almost unanimously top 3. It's something you gotta deal with...nothing you can really do. Be glad small hitboxes don't majorly affect combos.

jamessmk

I am your god
Just wanted to thank everyone for the positive comments and even the negative comments. These three guys and their show are quickly becoming a cornerstone of our scene. It is like getting 3 Howard Sterns for the price of none. I am sure future podcast will show case better talent and funnier episodes, they get better with each one. I can not wait for Tom Brady. Again thank you all and 16, K7, and slips for the opportunity. Keep up the great work

SyXX

Yolo is Power
Great Podcast guys. I just want to comment on the Sony going under speculation. I realize that the US the xbox has outsold the PS3 3:2. But, worldwide the PS3 has outsold the xbox and the Wii has outsold ps3 and xbox combined. Also the portable gaming market is absolutely huge in other markets. I wouldn't be so hasty to say Sony is done for. Not to mention hardware-wise it blows the doors off of the xbox.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
The first time I saw the commercial for the new Final Fantasy game on twitch.tv, I thought it was for Soul Calibur V until it got to the end. Still, the name of the game is on the box, right?
Like Blain said in Predator, "I ain't got time to read."