What's new

Kombat League PSA: Be kind.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
What I heard is that Kombat league is going to have a tier-based system like League of Legends and Overwatch do. If this be the case, please don't let us go the way those games have gone in regards to toxicity. Those games got to the point where if you weren't at a certain level you basically had a gag order in the form of "You are only in 'x' rank, you can't even play, so don't talk about the game ever."

Please do not let that become us. The FGC has been amazing to me over the years, and I want us to remain welcoming and open to helping newcomers and even just people who are bad at it. You might feel like this is not a necessary request but go and look at the message boards and forums for Overwatch and League of Legends. Don't ever let us become that.

Additionally, MOBAS have a certain pick up and play and mass appeal quality, which is how they are able to thrive despite abhorrent social communities. The FGC does not have this luxury. In the modern market fighting games are already niche do to barrier of entry. If we ad the stigma of a toxic social community it could very realistically kill the game and genre.

TL;DR: If Kombat League has a tiered ranking system, don't be an asshole to people on the lower tiers. Please just don't do it. We (The FGC) are better than that, and the our genre's success just might depend on it.

Thank you and stay classy out there.

-ZS7188

Last edited:
if you weren't at a certain level you basically had a gag order in the form of "You are only in 'x' rank, you can't even play, so don't talk about the game ever."
Hopefully the matchmaking is better than the default ranked mode where one minute i'm playing a newbie and then next i'm playing the equivalent of a SonicFox, and then we won't have to worry about this.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
TL;DR: If Kombat League has a tiered ranking system, don't be an asshole to people on the lower tiers. Please just don't do it. We (The FGC) are better than that, and the our genre's success just might depend on it.

Thank you and stay classy out there.

-ZS7188
lol

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
Hopefully the matchmaking is better than the default ranked mode where one minute i'm playing a newbie and then next i'm playing the equivalent of a SonicFox, and then we won't have to worry about this.
For me it's been pretty decent. Usually high 40 to low 50% chance and I feel like it's generally correct. Are you sure the guys your playing just either do or don't understand your specific gameplan?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
There's no bad matchmaking if you actually make it to a rank where people are decent.

I'm in the 1900s and played a guy who knew nothing of frame data for the first time in a month 2 days ago.

Ayx

Omnipresent
For me it's been pretty decent. Usually high 40 to low 50% chance and I feel like it's generally correct. Are you sure the guys your playing just either do or don't understand your specific gameplan?
Ranked definitely got something mixed up lately the way its matchmaking has been. Maybe it's due to lower population of ranked players since a lot of top 100 players are sort of gatekeeping the leaderboards and not playing as often (They have much more to lose than to gain once you're up there if you care about that sort of thing.) or matchmaking is completely busted. I fluctuate in-and-out of top 100 on xbox (since I just play ranked for practice pretty much.) but there's times where I face the #1 guy, lose (and barely lose points) yet my next match is against some 2W/10L guy who just moans on the mic and immediately forfeits the set after one loss. Not that I blame them, but they're definitely getting whacked w/ some sort of MM bug.

I play during both peak hours (6pm-11pm on and off) and off peak hours (3am-6am) and the experience is the same.

regarding Kombat League:

It's always going to be some sort of toxic environment. People get DM'd hatemail even in casual sets labeled a "one kombo spammer" or "playing cheap characters" etc. I'm not even going to stress about it. As long as you don't give it much thought and just reply w/ a lazy GG or just don't reply at all. You have to remember MOBA and OW developed this toxic label because it's much easier to blame your teammates than blame yourself, but FGCs you don't get room to hide. Your loss is your own and your fault. The only counter-argument is just crying about how they lost, but that only gets them so far.

Are you sure the guys your playing just either do or don't understand your specific gameplan?
Well, yeah, because they're just that good.

So far in the KL it seems that the players are more on my level, W/L is probably a little more in my favour, but at least most matches seem to be a fair game, not one sided.

And even better is that it seems there's more local players (<150ms). Whether that is because more people are playing because of the KL, or the matchmaking is just better i'm not sure.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You can't force people to not speak if you already won't talk to them because they're lowly Apprentices.

Too late. 4 matches in the KL and I fought an Erron Black player that said that he was better than me because I was only a Kombatant and he was a Warrior. ‍

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Yes and let us change the name of the loser's bracket to the lower bracket while we're at it. We wouldn't want to hurt anyone's sensitive little feelings :DOGE