What's new

Kombat League can suck a big fat vegan bacon horse manure sandwich

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
DOn't worry guys

I've told you in every thread

your "Ranked" MMR is def. being carried over into KL.

So if player A and player B are of both the same MMR you'll get matched.

However, Player A just started in Master and player B is a Demi God

MMR don't care... you match, you ping < 150, you play.

It was painfully obvious at the start of this season, and why so many players elect to just wait. They can let the pool of available "low rank" shrink while the pool of heavier rank grows. THen they get matched and win 100pts and 150 pts over and over and quickly get to where it took you all month to get.

Just how it works.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
DOn't worry guys

It was painfully obvious at the start of this season, and why so many players elect to just wait. They can let the pool of available "low rank" shrink while the pool of heavier rank grows. THen they get matched and win 100pts and 150 pts over and over and quickly get to where it took you all month to get.

Just how it works.
Shhhhh stop blowing up my spot

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
DOn't worry guys

Just how it works.
I don't think this is true at all. They aren't going to play somebody against another player who is 5 ranks lower just because it's their first time playing Kombat League and they were similarly placed in Ranked.

If you notice it's really never more than 1 rank away. It's just the normal tolerance when they can't find the perfect match.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I don't think this is true at all. They aren't going to play somebody against another player who is 5 ranks lower just because it's their first time playing Kombat League and they were similarly placed in Ranked.

If you notice it's really never more than 1 rank away. It's just the normal tolerance when they can't find the perfect match.
It most def will try to rank you higher based on your MMR and your current rank for sure.

Try it next season. The piggy back on all of the "lower skilled" players grinding up to grand master and the lack of people in the lower ranks.

They have a horrible system because they reward each tier, but also try to tout it as a skill based rating. Yet you can get paired with someone well outside of your actual "elo" because there ins't anyone who can connect or is available.

ELO works on the points just exactly like you said

but it also takes into accout WHERE you are, and would never match someone with 3500 points and someone with 2000 points. That would break the algorithm.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
It most def will try to rank you higher based on your MMR and your current rank for sure.

Try it next season. The piggy back on all of the "lower skilled" players grinding up to grand master and the lack of people in the lower ranks.

They have a horrible system because they reward each tier, but also try to tout it as a skill based rating. Yet you can get paired with someone well outside of your actual "elo" because there ins't anyone who can connect or is available.

ELO works on the points just exactly like you said

but it also takes into accout WHERE you are, and would never match someone with 3500 points and someone with 2000 points. That would break the algorithm.
That doesn't break Elo.. It can handle whatever point differences. It's done for matchmaking, to try to avoid stomps and make things more competitive for everyone.

What do you mean by "try to rank you higher?" You rank higher by winning. Can you show me an example of people being paired with people who are more than 1 tier up/down? I've only seen matches with people who are close to the player's current tier.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Lol, I think that some people aren't understanding how Elo works.

This is standard practice ranked math. It's not a 'wager'. If you're playing someone at skill tier below you, you are expected to win, and so you gain less if you win but lose more in a loss. Because if you're losing to people at Master rank, it's indicating mathematically that maybe you should be at Master instead of Grandmaster.

Likewise, if you were to play someone at Demi God, then you wouldn't lose much if you lost to them, but you'd gain a lot if you won.

There's nothing strange about it. It's just Elo.
Wasn't there some scientific study 6-7 years ago that figured ELO structures are only accurate after like 1500 instances of data? I can't recall if it used LoL or Starcraft as the focus of their study, but you have to get a shitload of matches in before you're accurately placed, and even then, the matchmaking system isn't always going to find someone at your skill level to play.

Just avoid KL. Anything that forces the use of tournament variations is suspect. Just have fun. It's a game.

Agilaz

It has begun
Yeah I decided to wait for season 3. League challenges will prolly involve spilling 10k pints of blood, completing 5 league matches ten times...

As long as there at least 10 days left on the clock, you can unlock pretty much everything.

I know it's gonna suck for lower skilled players to get stomped and lose 100 points when I decide to start climbing, but tough shit. That's what happens when you have to work with such a shitty point system.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Wasn't there some scientific study 6-7 years ago that figured ELO structures are only accurate after like 1500 instances of data? I can't recall if it used LoL or Starcraft as the focus of their study, but you have to get a shitload of matches in before you're accurately placed, and even then, the matchmaking system isn't always going to find someone at your skill level to play.

Just avoid KL. Anything that forces the use of tournament variations is suspect. Just have fun. It's a game.
It's more accurate the more you play, but we're talking down to individual points, like the difference between 3243 and 3244.. Which is a level of fine accuracy that isn't necessary for something like a video game. You don't need 1500 matches to get a decent rank in a shooting or fighting game.

The point is just to match you with people around your same skill level.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I hate ELO systems and honestly i don't even understand why they exist. A win should be a win and award a flat number of points.

You don't see non-playoff teams getting awarded extra wins on their record if they luck out a win against the Warriors.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
LMAO@the title but I don't blame you, KL is more broken than the tops in this game at times. Also, last night I got disconnected on not sure if it was my opponent or the damn game desynced but I actually LOST points back at the main screen..50 points, this mode is BS.:mad:

Honestly though I really, really hope NRS offers us alternatives to unlock the costumes and gear piececs they put in KL because most aren't going to reach GM, Demi God, God or EG or at least a good portion of players. So if you want a certain piece of gear or outfit and can't have it because you pretty much have to be really, really good that's kind of lame on NRS's part. I'm DG, I have a potential chance to reach God today if I push but I don't care for it at this point but I do think this is something else that needs to be addressed for the more casual people or if you don't like KL and just want the outfits and gear pieces.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I dunno man... when I was halfway into Grand Master (just over 3,000 points), it matched me against someone who was just barely into Master by only a couple points (probably had like 2,003 points). I won, and they got ranked down into Champion.

By the numbers, that’s a pretty shitty matchup.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Elo or not, points system is messed up. For the majority of matches, i barely get any points for winning and then get crushed if i drop a set. I can wipe out 5-6 wins with 1 loss. It’s absurd.
Yes, this is absolutely my #1 complaint, and whole reason for this rage post, haha. It’s infuriating.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
yep, agree, this shit is a psychology turn off, that indulge people to fuck off matches online, plugging the cable out, or just refusing matches on purpose, hehe .... seriously, nobody asked for this, and nobody need this on MK games, NRS ! :confused:
MAYBE show their record AFTER you play them. But definitely not before.

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
While I think I can somewhat see what they're going for with Kombat League, I was a little disappointed it wasn't more like a standard ranked league system in a similar vein of Street Fighter and Tekken. For me, I'd prefer to shoot for higher ranks and work to make the climb. As it stands, I'm not as interested in aiming for the higher ranks when the league will be over within a few weeks. I'm biased, but I would've preferred the gratification of finally making it to a high rank for the long term as opposed to the short term. I suppose it's nice to earn some new gear and skins for some characters.

As soon as I hit Demigod, I just started randomly jumping around hitting people with a hammer. Ended up with a W/L of about -50 and had a blast. Met a bunch of nice people, helped a couple Nightwolf guys out with their combos while they practiced on me and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

KL is grindy and frustrating while you're working your way up, but it's really fun while you're working your way back down.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
They should implement an algorithm that finds a happy medium between KL Rank and skill.

Two equally paired fighters are matched up in KL. One is a tier or two higher with a reward of +20; -150. The other player has a reward of +150, -20 all because he decided to jump in later. This was my ploy in Season 2 and I saved a shart ton o' time. Got to God in about 300 matches in Season 1 from playing right out the gate. Got there in 140 games in Season 2 by waiting 2 weeks.

Why grind away, when ye can just hop on half way through and take out people ranks higher than you that ye have favorable win odds against? No incentive to put in extra work, better off playing private matches or labbing with all those hours saved.

If some Joe Shmuck is at Grandmaster and eeks a set out against NinjaKillah who just started KL Season X as an apprentice he should be heavily rewarded.

Maybe some added sub apprentice tiers could be implemented to negate people late to the party? Say ye wait two weeks and decayed from 0 to -1500 and are now ranked "Tartakan Scum?" Another option is having the ranks carry over from season to season to improve the match making since the targeted goal to unlock all the goodies is +5500 any way ye slice it.

Idk just thinking out loud, I dig KL, but can see room for improvement. :eek::coffee: