What's new

Kombat Kast 9-25-19 Recap

New Kombat Kast, this one detailing 3rd variations for the cast and a mysterious new game mode. If you couldn't watch for yourself on Netherrealm's Twitch, then read on for a brief breakdown of what they discussed.

So as it goes in life, it was at the exact start of the Kast that I received a work call. Notes are going to be a bit sparse here, but the new mode announced is kind of a Boss Rush mode. 3 players fight a boss at the same time to work down his health bar. Challenges can be completed to give everyone buffs and you get rewards based on how well you did, on top of whatever tower rewards were available. This is going to be added to the Towers of Time.

Right from there, they got into the new variations:

-Shang Tsung is going to get a variation with his ninja moves
-Frost gets a variation with more zoning tools
-Johnny gets a variation with his old force balls
-Jax gets a variation with new strings that open up combo routes
-Sub-Zero gets a move that acts like the ice clone
-Liu Kang gets a teleport and command grab
-Scorpion gets an old school jump punch and Misery Blade
-Sonya gets her drone
-Nightwolf gets some new specials, including his Spirit Tracks
-Jade gets a reflect and teleport
-Kitana (universally) can amp her air fans for new combo routes, new krushing blow, the Fan-a-do and a low fan projectile
-Kotal gets access to new totems and the amplified sun disk
-Jacqui gets new aerial moves
-Kung Lao gets Great Kung Lao moves, which have been buffed from customs
-Erron Black gets a bear trap and the acid pour special
-Shao Kahn gets new spear based moves
-Noob gets new combo routes
-Cetrion can access her elemental buffs
-Kano gets Snakebite and the laser eye
-Cassie gets new bullet based specials
-Kabal gets the gas blast and AA grab
-Geras can rewind time now
-Kollector gets the chakram

Patch notes are coming out later today with details on everything else they didn't want to cover. Derek announced new holiday themed towers that will come with holiday themed consumables. So that was it for today, I'll update the thread with the notes when live. There will be a Kast next week as well, aiming for same time next Wednesday.

Comments

I hope Kitana Players are happy, like the goal seems to be making their character broken.
Now on top of we having do deal with sais that auto track on their own, their ex air fan combos whenever they use a bar.
scorpion-> liu kang -> kitana -> station n -> station n+1 -> .... the train keeps rollin baby.

I hope Kitana Players are happy, like the goal seems to be making their character broken.
Now on top of we having do deal with sais that auto track on their own, their ex air fan combos whenever they use a bar.
I agree that all these buffs shouldn't be applied to highborn, however Air Toss Amplified isn't something she can easily combo to unless she lands a KB (now 3 potential aerial ones) or a JI3 or 4. Her U2's range, unless addressed in the patch, will most likely not be able to catch you.

These buffs really really REALLY help Fan-Fare, which was what I think most Kitana Players wanted.

I agree that all these buffs shouldn't be applied to highborn, however Air Toss Amplified isn't something she can easily combo to unless she lands a KB (now 3 potential aerial ones) or a JI3 or 4. Her U2's range, unless addressed in the patch, will most likely not be able to catch you.

These buffs really really REALLY help Fan-Fare, which was what I think most Kitana Players wanted.
yeah but the change is universal and then you copple that with high born who has 3 sais for no particular reason, the ones that are supposed to track don't actually work properly but the one who should hit you if you remain still will just automatically follow whenever you move in or out. Are over+20 on block, making her b2 a guaranteed hit which you can't even flawless block and the whole b2 string is safe and has no gap.
Then here it comes her good jump moves, all that together with that new KB, the new fan that combos, its going to make high born even better than it already was.

Skarlet got:
Boiling point to buff her damage output
2 buff modifiers
I'm guessing it will be in between red mist, blood mist and krimson shield, one of them will not going to be in final version.

Besides they are rebalancing those moves, Skarlet is already slow as hell, if her boiling point remains as slow as it was, which we have to aim whenever it will be different from a certain character variation who just does db4 2 and the special moves does whatever regardless of what the opponent is doing. I have a strong feeling if red mist is in T3 its just going to be nerfed, we might not even get +17 restand, i think i will just keep rocking heart pierce because seems to be much more optimal.

yeah but the change is universal and then you copple that with high born who has 3 sais for no particular reason, the ones that are supposed to track don't actually work properly but the one who should hit you if you remain still will just automatically follow whenever you move in or out. Are over+20 on block, making her b2 a guaranteed hit which you can't even flawless block and the whole b2 string is safe and has no gap.
Then here it comes her good jump moves, all that together with that new KB, the new fan that combos, its going to make high born even better than it already was.
You’ll be ok.

On one hand...that new game mode = nah.

BUT

EVERYTHING ELSE

YO

I can tell you right now the first thing I'm doing is ALL of Sub's ToT grinding.
I get Clone 2.0, the Low Ice, AND I get to keep the Slide?
Yeah, I'm back in there for Kuai Liang.

Scorpion with Misery Blade and OG NJP is going to be super fun.

Both of my mains got their Hook Snag specials.

KITANA CAN FINALLY BE KITANA

I am very happy.
Now we're back at MKX level of options.
Bit finally said out loud with his face that there was stuff never meant to be in the competitive rotation, which is all I wanted to hear.
And T-800 is coming.

This is a great day.

I like where this is headed but it's a shame they're not giving all the characters new base moves instead.

All the variations seem very stripped down as it is, so now we get the option to choose another stripped down variation I guess...

Here's hoping to NRS giving all the fighters more depth, preferably before MK12...
My biggest gripe with this game is the shallow game plan and lack of techniques that come into play at the highest level for most characters. (yeah sure there are probably some galaxy brained but undiscovered short hop option selects and evasion techniques, but whatever)