What's new

Kombat Kast 4-22-19 Recap *last before MK11 edition*

8 more hours until Mortal Kombat 11. And to go over some last remaining details that haven't officially been looked at (or have been unofficially misunderstood) we have another Kombat Kast! The chief topic of discussion this week is Shao Kahn and what you get for pre-ordering sometime in the next 8 hours.

In our first Derek-less Kast in a LONG time, 16 Bit and Tyler did the usual routine of small talk before the big stuff. The goal was to keep this short with some of the other stuff they have going on, like Derek and Snoop Dawg doing some stuff and an IGN press event with Xavier Woods. Something Tyler addressed right off the bat that they plan on doing a hotfix "ASAP" to deal with progression concerns around the Krypt and Tower rewards. So that's cool as heck. What's also cool is the Frost trailer that they unveiled. So if you've been living under a rock, Frost has been announced! For everyone else, we got a look at her with somebody knowledgeable behind the wheel.

Frost is described as "complex", able to use a lot of setups to keep opponents at bay. She has a bomb she can shoot at different ranges that can catch people in the air or on the ground and she can shoot her head upwards as a long range anti-air (she's a robot, if that's not clear). Her base kit gives her some moves that control space well too, she has something that works like Blue Beetle's flying charge.

One really cool move she gets is this slide where she summons an ice scythe and hits you with it. There was another variation they showed that had some more setup tools, like using her head as a mobile bomb.

From there, they discussed some of the training mode additions. One big thing is an in-game calculator, that shows you the frame data on a move/string as you do it. Something to note as well, if you complete character tutorials, you get a new costume for that respective character. So that's a good incentive to actually do those, on top of actually learning what a character is about.

Kicking off the Shao Kahn showcase, they showed off the new Sideshow Collectible Shao Kahn statue. Owning a few Sideshow statues myself, I can personally attest for the quality and the payment plans are reasonable. But for those of you without $500 to spend, we have the next best thing.

Shao Kahn is about what you'd expect: he's big and hits you hard. On top of that, he does have grappling moves and a projectile spear, that you can throw 3 times for a krushing blow. He basically does a lot of what he's done in the past, like the unblockable (now blockable) hammer from MK9 and his shoulder charge.

On top of everything he can do with his hammer (which is a lot), you can load him out with even more throws and you can give him a move that summons a Shadow Priest who buffs Kahn's damage. They didn't show it, but he can buff himself/debuff you with taunts as well, so those have also made their way in.

With no Derek, we had no Belt Battle. Instead, we closed thing out with some emotional talk from the crew, everyone discussing what they want to see and how things have been for them being the effective face of NRS the past few months. For future Kombat Kasts, they are aiming to do some eSports talk, gaming with the community, and the usual patch talk. They closed things out with a friendly match between 16 Bit and Tyler. As expected, 16 Bit took the game with his Kitana (but Tyler put up a good fight with Jax). No info on what's planned next, but who cares, the game is out tomorrow. We'll all be playing by tonight.

Comments

I think this KK accidentally confirmed a day 1 patch. Look at the amplified version of Shao's shoulder:

This is one from K&M's today stream:

And this is the one we saw in the Kast:

I think this KK accidentally confirmed a day 1 patch. Look at the amplified version of Shao's shoulder:

Hmmmmm....thinks....looks like they increased the pop-up in the final version. Hey, im all for this. I knew there was gonna be day 1 change :)

Im impressed, releived and hyped that they actually addressed the towers , hopefully its a substantial change and not just a small bump.

Maximilian tweeted out that they addressed the single player grind that a lot of people have been complaining about. Does anyone have any specifics on what they discussed?

Maximilian tweeted out that they addressed the single player grind that a lot of people have been complaining about. Does anyone have any specifics on what they discussed?
No specifics are known at this time. If these changes are implemented on launch, then most new players won't really know anything was changed. It's up to all the early adopters to provide insight.

The big stuff needs a patch but anything with a numerical value can be changed easily without them. Damage, frames, gold received, etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I haven't gotten my hands on the game so I can't really speak for how the grind is. But the fact that a lot of people have been addressing it as a concern kinda makes me worried about my enjoyment. I guess I'll be able to see for myself tonight!

Good catch. Clear animation differences. I wouldn't think that just because the first video started with a normal it would change the pop up like that. Looks like too actual different versions of the move.

E
Thank God they're addressing it. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to come out.