What's new

Kollector Post Honeymoon Phase. (Kollector Is Bad)

Ok I'm trying really hard not to downplay this character and I'm by no means a pro player nor have I mastered him but I'm a character loyalist through and through. Since there is no kung jin/green arrow archetype in mk11 I needed to find a character that called to me and in theory that was Kollector. At face value he seems like a decent character but the more time I spend with him the more I see how fucking bad he is. I'm creating this thread as a change my mind sort of discussion because I dont want give up on him, I need someone to provide counter points/advice on the things I have issues with and most of this is off the top of my head so itll be sproatic in terms of order but:

His strings are all garbage, he has no plus strings on block so you cant create pressure. Especially when someone is pressuring you, there's just nothing you can do to anti pressure. Hes got no frame traps as a result.
Hes not a zoner at all, he can be out zoned by half the cast, self explanatory. He has a teleport for a reason but you better use it as a punish or spend the bar to keep you safe.
Hes supposed to be a mid range footsie character but his mid range strings feel so slow. 4 is high so it can be ducked so his pressure from mid range isnt threatening. 4 4 has a huge gap in it. 44 at max range can not be combo out of because bola is to slow and the second hit of db3 wont connect. He has the same issue with f12, the low starter. Done at max range bola doesnt combo and db3 wiffs the same way as 44 at max range. How does a character who's main form of play is the mid range game have an issue like that at max range. Like I'm being punished for knowing the proper spacing because shit wiffs.
He has no over head starter and his only mix up doesn't lead to any combos and is extremely punishable on block
His damage is ass. I understand hes one of the few characters with a capture state move and it restands but he does no damage compared to the rest of the cast. His 21x34 kb punish does less the most other punish kbs and doesnt leave them at a good distance to continue mid range pressure.
His f3, one of the only moves that pushes him forward is negative 4 on block. Where sub zero has a move that is the same that's positive.
His fastest button is a trex hands high.(his 1).
His mobility since losing his dash cancels(because nrs seemingly cant figure out another way to remove his infinite) is also bad. His walk speed forward is fine but why is his walk back so fucking slow? Shimmining with him which would be amazing considering his range is more difficult because you walk back so slow.
Like theres a reason this character is played so little, christ knows there isnt even a discord for him cause of how little people play him. For what seems like plenty of reasons. I'm just frustrated that he feels so off.
Don't even get me started on his variations. No one is using the bomb bag one cause hell get out zoned easy. He needs his teleport. He needs his command grab to add to his mix and demonic mace is the only thing that can make him some what safe(even though itll get out jabbed no problem).

Kollector at face value seems like he has a lot of options but none of them seemed fleshed out or better then any one character. The more I think about his design the more it upsets me. You have a character who's supposed to be good at spacing at a decently far mid range but naturally as you keep your opponent at that range, if they can zone they'll start zoning and you get blow up since kollector zoning tools seem lack luster. The opposite is if they have no zoning they'll work their way in and once closer then mid range, you again get blow up. You have to keep your opponent in a sweet spot and it's hard to naturally keep your opponent from seeing through that mid range.

I want a divorce Kollector.

Last edited:

Spo5000

The nerf hammer is thirsty for your main
He got a lot of play at NLBC 163, so I’m guessing he’s not all bad. He really doesn’t resemble Green Arrow at all though, so if that style of play is what you’re looking for, then I’d recommend a different fighter.

He got a lot of play at NLBC 163, so I’m guessing he’s not all bad. He really doesn’t resemble Green Arrow at all though, so if that style of play is what you’re looking for, then I’d recommend a different fighter.
I feel his high placement has a lot to do with character unfamiliarity. People dont know quite yet how to play against him, but give it a couple more weeklies, you'll see him place higher less and less imo. I was very very frustrated yesterday and I'm open to opinions against my own. In fact I want to hear it, I need to lol. Need that moral boost. But I did feel the need to point out some of his major flaws.
As far as hil not playing like my other character archetypes, I know they're not similar. Wasn't looking for a character that played similarly. When looking for a character to play I decide based on how cool I think a character is, not their play style. Bow and arrows are fucking dope so any time I see a character with them I jump to them immediately. Creepy 6 arm guy with a ball and chain screamed super cool to me!

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
His frame data is not good at all. Pair that with his ranged attacks being highs.
If you are up in his face he just crumbles.
Playing him max mid range is also not good because several moves whiff because you are too far away, so you are getting punished for knowing your range.
I love his character design and was super syked to play him but damn does his options feel like shit and I feel they missed so many opportunities with him. Lack of special moves, kustom or not unlike some of the other cast that have up to 9 different moves while he is rocking 5 and 1 of them makes his 2 shit projectiles air versions which shoulda been a thing in the first place.

Honestly this whole game feels like shit. Back to BBTag.

Spo5000

My issue when I played kollector was getting in against zoners felt impossible. Once he’s in I feel he’s crazy strong, but aside from his obvious teleport, it seemed like I just had to creep forward with block then f3~db2. It got pretty monotonous tbh, so I moved on. I still think people will run him because of his amped bf4 and f12 mix ups. Also he is badass looking so yeah there’s that.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I think he is a decently strong character that has good range, good mix and ok zoning with nice footsie tools and good close up tools: B2 a 10f mid that can push them out and you can space them further with up mace/ mid mace or delayed mace.

His 13 is a good punisher nice and fast and he has good pokes.

Zoning is trickier with him but he has options, teleport, projectile absorb can send it back and absorb a second projectile giving him the advantage. Since his bola is a knockdown and or combo extender they are effective at counter zoning when used with his other tools.
Put all that together with his B122, 44 and F22 he has decent strings to space control.

I'm a Kotal Kahn player and I definitely feel he needs help having a 17-22f mid and everything else is highs that are slow af and no real way to even use his counter zoning options (sunlight is unsafe everywhere even on setup) and his 8-9f high starters have raptor syndrome and don't reach after his or others pushback making them a kiss you option or corner only.

but I think it's far too soon to know for sure. I actually asked for buffs in another thread well asked for others opinions to maybe enlighten me on what I may be missing.
I think we are jumping the gun on week one and should go be more time to learn matchups before giving up on them it asking for adjustments. No one really knows the rosters matchups and what tools suck vs X characters tools or how to compare them to the roster this early on. I believe more tech will be discovered that could help us in tournament. I imagine REO's Tier List will change dramatically after everyone becomes familiar with the matchups.

It's still a little to early to tell but he feels pretty solid to me. I dont think hes going to have a ton of favorable match ups but I dont think hes going to have a lot of bad ones either. If you're getting zoned mb lantern & teleport can be really effective at getting to your sweet spots. Also wave dash helps a lot for closing space. It's difficult for sure, but wave dash command grab is godlike. Infact his command grab is the best one that I've seen in terms of functionality because it's a mid and you can tick off of d1. After db3, dash command grab is only beaten by jump or invincible wakeup. If they jump you can d1~throw and it will grab them out of the air and if they block its guaranteed. If they do invincible wake up, you get a free jumpin combo and they just lost a bunch of meter. Not to mention that it kbs on roll. They always have to guess, its unbreakable, mid, and sets itself up. Shit is stupid.

The 4 string is also bonkers. I only really look to combo off of it in the corner because I know I'm at the right distance for shit to connect. Otherwise I'm constantly mixing 4~umace, 44~umace, mmace, etc. 4~umace combos, pushes to the corner if it hits and keeps them out if they dont. There are ways to beat all the options but because there are so many options for kollector with this one string, it can drive opponents crazy trying to figure out their approach to the point where they strat doing dumb shit trying to come in. In the corner it's even worse. Dont forget they're taking serious chip damage the whole time. Also, they cant get anything off of a flawless block because you're too far away and if they're trying to flawless block you can vary your timing/change the string.

With that said, you do have to make some good reads but he has all of the tools nessacary to get as much information from your opponent as possible while remaining relatively safe.

The three pillars of kollector are patience, command grabs, and mace mace mace.

Thank you for the replies guys. I agree with a lot of what is being said and I put more grind into online matches. I'm definitely learning a lot. Kollector requires an insane amount of patience, especially when you do play at that 4/ 44 mace/ 441 mid range. That's honestly when I'm having the most fun with him. It's a weird but fun form of footsies and db2 as an anti air is great at that range. I'm mixing it up like was stated above and it's pretty solid. Another one mentioned me being tied to that green arrow rush down style and I think that was ringing true. I'm so used to rush down/mix up style and kollector is just not like that and I'm adjusting, albit slowly and frustratingly

SinkFla

Noob
I think now that people have had time with him they know how to shut down his shit. I wanted to like him at launch but he just feels way too gimmicky. :(

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
My issue when I played kollector was getting in against zoners felt impossible. Once he’s in I feel he’s crazy strong, but aside from his obvious teleport, it seemed like I just had to creep forward with block then f3~db2. It got pretty monotonous tbh, so I moved on. I still think people will run him because of his amped bf4 and f12 mix ups. Also he is badass looking so yeah there’s that.
This is what you have to do vs. zoners with almost any character, not just Kollector. It really isn't hard to just block and walk forward in this game, you take a negligible amount of chip anyway. I wouldn't drop a character just because they have to walk in, but to each their own.

Spo5000

This is what you have to do vs. zoners with almost any character, not just Kollector. It really isn't hard to just block and walk forward in this game, you take a negligible amount of chip anyway. I wouldn't drop a character just because they have to walk in, but to each their own.
Yeah I shouldn’t have used the word “impossible”, rather I think the word “tedious” would’ve been a better fit. Personally just didn’t really like his kit against them. I’ll likely revisit him in the right matchups, but not really looking to main him.

GhosT

Noob
OP isnt wrong. The complaints are valid. I think hes mid tier at best but potentially one of the worst in the game when people are aware of the matchup. They need to increase the bola speed just enough that it will link with a max range f1. That is literally so dumb that it doesnt, you can literally outplay people and get nothing for it while many other characters have a safe advancing MID with similar mace range but it's faster and safer? And better zoning.

It's still early, but you can go look at his strings and see he wasnt even finished product day 1. Tons of pn hit strings that show on block frame data.... moves that wont even come out unless it's on hit lol. It's pretty sloppy stuff.

He has a good corner game, mid command grabs are always good. He does have stuff going for him but theres literally a plethora of options out there that will do his job but better and easier. I think the cancels being gone are a big part. We may get something back or compensated in another way. I'm sticking it out with him because of that. And because I'm still holding my own vs better characters.

Also we need to talk about his demonic mace krushing blow... LOL someone had to of tested the viability of that kb on Tyler cuz anyone who knows where the block button is wont get hit by that.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Yeah I got the crash course in the kollector and yall people who say he's rotten are crazy.

Great neutral, covering multiple ranges, multiple buttons to poke with. you can poke with f2 which never misses bola from any range, and hits further than f1 anyways, stand 44 strong poke. His DoT variation is downright legit and forces the same frustration and mistakes that Erron can.

He certainly isn't the best but man my eyes are opened now that I played a super long set with a strong kollector player.

LawAbidingCitizen

My final thoughts on Kollector.
I think in his T1 variation he has some problems against most of the cast. 8f D1 and 9f D3/D4 not bad.
His D1 jails into 13 starter and the 13 is hit confirmable.
He has a 10f mid that has pushback and can be used as a keep away tool and to win poke wars. D1 jails into B2 and 13.
F12 has an amazing hitbox and us very hit confirmable and also has a 50/50 on end with D1/D2. F1 is a 13f low that us -1 on block, staggers into throw and B23.
Has good range with 4, mud mace, F22, 21+34 and F4.
Has a great anti zoning teleport and his bola knocks down.
Fatal blow damage 60% in corner.
KB damage is 40%.
Midscreen damage is 27-30%.

The problem isn't that he has bad normals it's that top tiers do what he does in every way but way better.

I think most of Kollector's wiffing issues are fixed by having chakrum disk instead of bola. So Chakrum Disk teleport and Command Grab in his tournament variation. The disk fixes his F12 BF4 at max range, makes F4 and 4 connect at max range and allows full combo from 10f mid B23 into 30% 1Bar mid screen and is hit confirmable.
He is also generally safe with disk on block at S4 range making him very good in matchups he normally wouldn't be.

His current variation I'd place him bottom mid tier and only usable vs certain matchups but with Chakrum disk replacing up mace I feel he is low A Tier.

The other suggestion that would fix him would be to give him better cancels off bola/mace that are -10 or safer but make sure there is no infinites like on pre day 1 patch. But disk really does fix most of his problems without changing the character at all. It also makes his zoning much better, it's very fast on startup and recovery, knocks down and can be Amplified to combo from full screen using teleport.

Last edited:
I would use this character if bola didnt whiff after f12 at max f1 range. I lost too many rounds over that. The other characters i play dont have a whiffing issue with their strings like this. I think i can play around his other weaknesses but this one is too frustrating

LawAbidingCitizen

I would use this character if bola didnt whiff after f12 at max f1 range. I lost too many rounds over that. The other characters i play dont have a whiffing issue with their strings like this. I think i can play around his other weaknesses but this one is too frustrating
He is decent in many ways but yeah he does have bola hitbox issues at max range on F4, F12 and 44. I suggest using F22 at that range which reaches farther than F1 and doesn't have that problem.

If you want to do Custom Variations:
I feel like swapping out Up Mace with his Chakrim Disk projectile fixes most of his problems and allows B23 to combo which is awesome. It's also twice as fast as bola and makes him a great counter zoner. With it F12, 44, 4 have no problem connecting at max range using BF4.

He is decent in many ways but yeah he does have bola hitbox issues at max range on F4, F12 and 44. I suggest using F22 at that range which reaches farther than F1 and doesn't have that problem.

If you want to do Custom Variations:
I feel like swapping out Up Mace with his Chakrim Disk projectile fixes most of his problems and allows B23 to combo which is awesome. It's also twice as fast as bola and makes him a great counter zoner. With it F12, 44, 4 have no problem connecting at max range using BF4.
I don't use custom variants so that doesnt really matter to me. I could work around his whiffing issues and take chances, or just use a character that doesnt have these problems (and does more damage...). Its a shame because i think kollector is badass looking but im shelving him until he hopefully gets patched

LawAbidingCitizen

I don't use custom variants so that doesnt really matter to me. I could work around his whiffing issues and take chances, or just use a character that doesnt have these problems (and does more damage...). Its a shame because i think kollector is badass looking but im shelving him until he hopefully gets patched
I agree I think he has major problems against the majority of the cast but just thought it was cool that the disk replacing bola fixes most if them. Maybe they can adjust up mace and bola or give him disk instead of bola in tournament variations. I did really want mace or bola cancels back though.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
would use this character if bola didnt whiff after f12 at max f1 range. I lost too many rounds over that. The other characters i play dont have a whiffing issue with their strings like this. I think i can play around his other weaknesses but this one is too frustrating
USE F22 INSTEAD
its same startup
has literally longer range than f12, also less negative on block
can never miss bola no matter what regardless of range
When used at max range, you can backdash and then f22 again to whiff punish whatever button comes up

so why are you using f12 at a range instead of f22. F12 is for when you are closer up.

LawAbidingCitizen

USE F22 INSTEAD
its same startup
has literally longer range than f12, also less negative on block
can never miss bola no matter what regardless of range
When used at max range, you can backdash and then f22 again to whiff punish whatever button comes up

so why are you using f12 at a range instead of f22. F12 is for when you are closer up.
I think F2 is actually 12f startup while F1 is 13f startup. So it's faster and has slightly better range.
But I know I use F1 at max range to stagger since it's -2 on block and I think others are using it more because if it's usefulness having a 50/50 on end and staggers into throws but yeah I agree they should use F2 at max range if they are planning on going into combo.
F1 is easier to combo with though being a 13f low with great range and F12 has an amazing hitbox.
I mostly use 4 from further range than F1/F2 and sometimes I use B1/B3/Mace to keep distance and convert