What's new

Kollector General Discussion

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Not sure if there's a new combo thread for Kollector, but I found a couple decent Back in the Pack midscreen combos:

(Anti-air) B3xxBF4(MB), JI2, 443, dash, D2, D1xxDBF3 - 345.85 damage

F12xxBF4(MB), JI2, 443, dash D2, D1xxDBF3 - 352.58

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Has anyone experimented with ending kombos with bf4(amp)-b12? You lose a little damage but get a +10 restand. For example, 443-12~bf4(amp)-b12 does 230ish into the restand. Midscreen you can end with f3, losing 20ish damage but remaining +12 and adjacent.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
Has anyone experimented with ending kombos with bf4(amp)-b12? You lose a little damage but get a +10 restand. For example, 443-12~bf4(amp)-b12 does 230ish into the restand. Midscreen you can end with f3, losing 20ish damage but remaining +12 and adjacent.
With Back in the Pack, B1~tele leaves you +5 and literally next to them. DBF3 and his B2 jail since they’re both mids. No poking or fatal blows allowed if timed right, which isn’t hard.

It’s essentially a “cleaned up” version of the F3 plus frames since they both have the same options after.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
no 7f button
He is a mid range character, that's his best strengh, specialy with the 443 string. It's indeed difficult to play him close range and that's perfectly understable. That's why he has no 7f

f12 wiffing issues
Can you explain please ?

2 bads KB.
Well not really agree, even if the overhead (32) is indeed really easy to read.

Good Midtier for me, maybe top now.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
F4 after bola leaves him +18. Midscreen you can dash up command grab or F22 but unless you time it perfectly they can jump and drop out of F22. In the corner you get a guaranteed F1/command grab mixup.

This is best done after a raw 443 where you already used alot of the gravity and won't get much more from finishing your combo.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I must admit (happily) that I underestimated his F3 into string buff. It's great for checking them on wakeup when they're far away (from his forward throw for instance). And once they learn to respect the full string F3 into grab/F1 is a stagger that is... Not great but it works

L
So after about a hundred games with kollector on each variation here is what I have. I know it's not many but I wanted to give each variation a fair shake. First though, his base kit is strong. Mostly going into variation moves on this one though.

Backpack

This variation is very well rounded, strike throw game is possibly best in game. It resets into itself on any option you take and leaves them in front of you +19. So the timing bus identical to set up. I figured it was just on paper, but after getting a grasp of mk11 this was a really strong point for me. Being able to remove options is great and backpack does that removing neutral duck from the equation.

I tried using up mace some but ultimately it felt way more effective to just use the regular one at range and react with cancel. The faster start up is nice, but I typically have to hold it anyways so it doesn't feels as much a loss without using it.

The teleport is quite amazing for him in general. It allows hesitation on some zoning and the far teleport can be used to catch people reacting with throw or pokes. Also a free out of corner is always nice. Especially since he can also side swap at will on hit as well with amp db3. Raw teleports are really good and he has some other set ups to teleport to give variance so that the opponent has to digest more information.

Spare change

Bombs are pretty good. Definitely an upgrade to up mace in my opinion. It allows you to contest some zoning options so it fills in for the lack of teleport. The hit boxes are very specific but in the air they are pretty wide and can deter jumps pretty well. They do average damage so you can't outright trade all the time. It is better to do in response to zoning rather than raw zoning as the landing frames are a problem. Combined with straight mace it gives him good screen control against a few of the cast. Also let's you keep players standing with advantage of you want to end with it.

Vial

This is honestly the reason I even considered using this. Essentially I use it as a double block damage projectile. So when mixed in with his buttons and zoning you get some nice ticks since they are increment 20. Block stringing to this is a pretty massive buff for ending rounds. As soon as you see them at 50 it's over on block.

The combo
The explosion combo is a really neat mechanic. Unfortunately it is extremely fickle when it comes to the conditions needed to apply the set ups. Similar to erron black it takes advantage of panic. However where it differs is they have to panic with a specific option of moving forward into you b1. It's nice but again very specific.

Overall success rate was definitely higher with backpack so far, but spare change is definitely not bad. I think with the offensive nature of backpack and the extra kb it let me pull out some crazy wins. The problem I had with spare change was after achieving them coming to get you, your throw would send them out away. Which sounds great, but it didn't allow for any crazy comebacks that backpack offered. Also being able to store a bad throw tech was really clutch too in addition so it felt like a lot of spike damage was removed from Spare change. Speaking of kb, spare change also inadvertently deters jumping too, so I got less s2 kbs from anti air and had to use it more aggressively on whiff punishes or frame traps. Reversal command grab was a boon up close as well.

Character is good, not sure how good yet. Main roadblocks I had were dealing with frame trap and stagger characters as they can be more powerful against him.
How has your opinion if Spare change differed after the patch? I’m finding that there are some improvements but without some solid vial setups or some sort of specific game plan that it can feel like you are playing an uphill battle. I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m not keen to the overall gameplay. And advantages of the variation. I have a general game plan of keeping to the midrange whenever possible fishing with 4 and watching for anti airs all while tossing out bombs. I really need to figure out optimal use of the vial.

I'm definitely more leaning towards spare change now when I play him.

You can do pretty much all the same damage as backpack. The only difference is if you mix up throw you go full screen and pressure is done. For characters that you typically want to keep away anyways this isn't a problem. He has a lot more viable set ups now if you do a regular starter then end with 443 now as the pop up let's you set vials down.

Vials lasting longer even though slightly less threatening per tick let's you fish easier for bombs. You no longer have to vial then go directly for a dash b1 bomb etc. And now you can relax more and use the dot pressure with more angles.

The command grab is great, but I try to tally how many successful command grabs I get per game. In comparison to vial I am usually losing out on raw damage, but the oki is still godlike if not better since he does so much damage now.

Also now that you can legit combo his kb throws ffor more damage because of combo routed he is just so nice on the damage scale now.

I've told my practice partners though, if you thought kollector sucked before you will still think he sucks post patch. His actual game play is still similar but 44 string has moved up quite a bit in neutral.

Wait combo off of KB throws? In spare change? What are the requirements? Also I’ve never considered endeing the combos with 443 vial to be good. I’m assuming there’s some set play afterwards? When you do a jump in into 443 do you try to space it so that your at max distance? I get blown up for 443 vial at closer ranges. Also how do you approach the neutral with Kollector in general. I do well until they are within D1 range or I have to block anything due to the 8 frame jab we have. Most attempts to disengage end with me getting blown up and most attempts to counter poke end in the same manner. I’m forced to block until they attempt a risky move BUT at my local no one goes outside of their safe staggers

I'll try and address all of the questions.

1. Throw kb if you get a missed tech you can just store it. Then if you hit with 443 d2 13 bola you can use the throw kb when they are captured for a nice damage spike. It's obviously more damage not to combo, but it's there when you need it if you don't want to gamble the kb. Typically I use this on my second throw kb as the first one is still a 50 50. The second one is near very hard to use against better players.

2. Combo to vial
If you start a combo with f22 or f12 etc and amp bola you can j2 443 then j3,s3,B3 vial etc to set up a vial on ground opponent. From there you can do different options. The damage loss is minimal and it makes players want to move out which you can capitalize on. Or you can set up bombs too from counter hit strings. I prefer not doing bomb combo but it's demoralizing when it works.

3. Close quarters
D1 is ok but if you go for 8f you may as well just 13 string to push the tide back. It's a very good stagger and hit confirmable, basically gives you a much higher reward if they do respect and block or if they try to press buttons too much.
D3 even though slower it's hurtbox is very good and will beat things D1 won't.
B2 very underrated 10f mid that is super easy to hit confirm catches jump outs and builds the space you need to get out.
B3 when out of the corner will build lots of room too.
Reversal throw or db3 for when you can't time a reversal normal and you know they are pressing. These will reversal from your blocks right away forcing the opponent to respond properly and makes their negative frames a problem. In backpack reversal command grab is pretty godlike.

Hope that helps

Why does it feel so much harder to combo 443 after j2. There is this weird delay. Is anyone else experiencing this or I did I suddenly get bad at this combo?

Nah it’s weird 443 after ji2 was always weird. Make sure the ji2 is deep and I usually press 2443 like it’s one 4 button string and you gotta be on the quick side there isn’t much space there it feels like

1. Throw kb if you get a missed tech you can just store it. Then if you hit with 443 d2 13 bola you can use the throw kb when they are captured for a nice damage spike. It's obviously more damage not to combo, but it's there when you need it if you don't want to gamble the kb. Typically I use this on my second throw kb as the first one is still a 50 50. The second one is near very hard to use against better players.

2. Combo to vial
If you start a combo with f22 or f12 etc and amp bola you can j2 443 then j3,s3,B3 vial etc to set up a vial on ground opponent. From there you can do different options. The damage loss is minimal and it makes players want to move out which you can capitalize on. Or you can set up bombs too from counter hit strings. I prefer not doing bomb combo but it's demoralizing when it works.

3. Close quarters
D1 is ok but if you go for 8f you may as well just 13 string to push the tide back. It's a very good stagger and hit confirmable, basically gives you a much higher reward if they do respect and block or if they try to press buttons too much.
B2 very underrated 10f mid that is super easy to hit confirm catches jump outs and builds the space you need to get out.
Reversal throw or db3 for when you can't time a reversal normal and you know they are pressing. These will reversal from your blocks right away forcing the opponent to respond properly and makes their negative frames a problem. In backpack reversal command grab is pretty godlike.

Hope that helps

Ending combos with 3~vial is SO NICE! 50% this must be what erron feels like thanks you man

Parasurama

Dragon

2. Combo to vial

3. Close quarters

Hope that helps
Which variation is better since patch?

The combo is moderately difficult to get the timing of. (The hard part) You gotta micro dash into d2 and have it hit them almost at the apex of the launch height. Then I put 13 when they have fallen about head height like to hit them at the head height if that makes sense. I’ve found the most success dining it like that and I still haven’t got it down enough to use outside of practice. Just keep at it

2. Combo to vial
After this combo you are punishable with subs wakeup slide, and Im sure many more options.
I like to fore go the standing 3 and just cancel out of jump kick.
This sets up for a almost Meaty explosion

After this combo you are punishable with subs wakeup slide, and Im sure many more options.
I like to fore go the standing 3 and just cancel out of jump kick.
This sets up for a almost Meaty explosion
Gonna add that tip to the playbook. The s3 into vial only works once the opponent has been conditioned to not press buttons on wakeup. Dosent present itself all the tome
But when it does man that 50% for 1 bar is super sweet. Got any other setups that you like to employ or just some general neutral tactics?

Gonna add that tip to the playbook. The s3 into vial only works once the opponent has been conditioned to not press buttons on wakeup. Dosent present itself all the tome
But when it does man that 50% for 1 bar is super sweet. Got any other setups that you like to employ or just some general neutral tactics?
I try to play midscreen alot At max 443 range and stager the string, its hitconfirmable into finishing the string. Alot of b3 to try to maintain this spacing.

If they start neutral ducking the first hit (not many do) Ill fish for some max range f4.

IF i got My opponent cornered and land 443 j2 f22 bola, i like to End it with ji2 44 which gets a wonky Quick get up in range for f4. But this is a gimmick At best