What's new

Tech Known But Not Discussed Tech- Standing 4

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hey everbody! This is another thing about sonya that isn not really discussed, and some sonya players take advantage of it, some do not. Basically her s.4 can bring oppoents up off the ground if they try to stay grounded. So after a fwd1 cartwheel hits (the cw whiffs) you can dash past them and s.4 to set up some mind games. This will get beat by wake up attacks but they have to reverse their input and they have to react very quickly, and obviously this can be blown up any number of ways. I think used sparingly this can be used to extend sonyas pressure though both the otg and opening up other options such as a meaty d4. If your opponent tech rolls your dash will still put you right in their face, and the standing 4 will still hit, you just have to confirm and cw the correct way. Any experience using this you guys? Anybody never seen it before? Let me know your thoughts.
Showtime EGP Wonder_Chef Vagrant GamerBlake90 Evil_Riu48 MortySeinfeld Justice HGTV Ermacio MITDJT

G4S Ermacio

Orbs... Orbs everywhere
i have to admit me and the rest of us in team yardley have been hit by this more than enough times to know its an annoying little setup

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
A lot of players know know that after 4 or 4 ms its at negative and they can poke or even full combo punish, ive been using 4 ex kartwheel and it works lovely

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
A lot of players know know that after 4 or 4 ms its at negative and they can poke or even full combo punish, ive been using 4 ex kartwheel and it works lovely

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
Get them with one ex cartwheel and they will respect the hell out of you in that situation anytime you have a bar too.

Justice

Noob
I use it a lot too but like Chef said, my experiences generally are that wehn people see me coming, they tech roll or hold down without block to punish a whiffed D4 (or in this case, the standing 4).

I also use standing 4 as an anti-air against people that like going for deep jump ins. Because of it's speed and it's deceptively high hitbox, a standing 4 anti-air will almost always leave your opponent scratching his head :p

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Looks like REO also made a video about this a year ago, so if you want to hear his explanantion.
Justice in this setup if they tech roll you will still be in 4 range after you dash so the same mixup occurs. The AA is an interesting idea. I will look into it.
EGP Wonder_Chef I don't get a lot of staying down either tbh, I get a lot of either wake ups in the wrong direction and they get hit, or they are just trying to get up safely and get hit. After they fall for it once some players try to stay on the ground. However in particular EGP seems to be a fairly aggressive group of players, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had to bait more wakeup attacks.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The block advantage from using her s4 OTG (standing 4) is practically nonexistent - your follow-up can get interrupted, doesn't matter what it is. I do use this, but have considered taking it out of my game since the cons outweigh the pros.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
The block advantage from using her s4 OTG (standing 4) is practically nonexistent - your follow-up can get interrupted, doesn't matter what it is. I do use this, but have considered taking it out of my game since the cons outweigh the pros.
Well for now, very few players interrupt (Even those with a lot of sonya experience) however that is bound to change. If you use this setup enough however, and catch them early in the match trying to interupt with an ex cw, it opens up other options. We will see after players start interrupting if I continue using it.