What's new

Strategy Knockdown Throw Traps

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Here is a list of moves that are untechable, and are at enough advantage that you get a free Chain Grab.
  • D13
  • D3
  • F122
  • F3 Splat
  • To The Grave
  • Dead Air (must be the second one in the combo)
  • Dead Air (throwing them into the corner)
  • Swamp Hands (corner only)
  • EX Walking Corpse
  • Super
After most of these knockdowns, all you have to do is dash and go for the throw (for Walking Corpse you can get a free Grave Rot and then wait a little longer before you dash in and throw), and the only way to escape is by or a wake-up attack. If you timing is a little off they can escape by back-dashing.

If you read a back-dash you have a couple options. One you can dash in and do F13 and this will catch them out of their dash and you get a combo. Or you can go for Walking Corpse.

If you read a wake-up attack you can block and punish if the move is unsafe. Or try to armor through with EX Trait Grab, B3, or F3. Or you can armor with Walking Corpse. Also you can cancel a normal move (like 1, 2, and if the knockdown permits, F1 or B1) into Walking Corpse or EX Trait Grab. This works very well and is probably the thing I use the most on a knockdown.

Now you can still get a free grab off of knockdowns where the opponent techs ONLY if Grundy is right next to them when they tech or if the opponent is in the corner. If either of these are the case, you can get the same type setups mentioned above. The timing might be a little different to where maybe you don't do a dash. I suggest you go into practice and learn the knockdown timings.

In the corner, after you have landed any of the level two chain throws in the corner, these moves can't be interrupted or jumped.
  • D13
  • 1 and its strings
  • D2
  • 1+3 Grab
Now the only thing that can be escaped by back dashing (if you time it wrong) is the Grab, 2, and D2. But for D13 and 112 or 1 into whatever, if the opponent back dashes the later parts of the string will blow them up. Therefore the only viable way is to wake up attack. Read the above stuff about wakeups.

And my final piece I'll leave with you is the corner Super move 50/50.
After any level 2 chain grab has landed in the corner. (Preferably Damage so your Super does max damage) Activate your super, now there are only two thing the opponent can do. They will try to jump away, if so then you jump and land the super. If they stay grounded hoping you jump over them and they can dash under you and run away, then you immediately do the super from the ground. This can probably work off of other knockdowns but yeah.

NEW Thing I decided to add even though no one will see:

Lvl 1 Chip Chain Grab Knockdown Midscreen:
If you have gotten someone in a grab and you want to leave them close, I highly suggest using this.

If you time it perfectly, 1 and it's string's and 2 cannot be interrupted. And 1 will catch people on the ground trying to jump and I believe if timed perfectly cannot be back-dashed.

But let us talk about what will happen if you don't time it perfectly. If you try to do 1 or 2 and they are jumping these moves will catch them while they start to jump (112 and 113 will juggle them as well). So I suggest going for 1~Trait Grab since if the jump the Grab will juggle and you can loop this setup again.

And you pretty much beat wake-ups and back-dashes like I have mentioned above, so I won't go through that again.

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Good stuff Nooby. I'm sure you meant "Super" and not "X-Ray" ^_^

All I have to say about Grundy is d2 is stupid good and his super is only good in the corner.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die

All I have to say about Grundy is d2 is stupid good and his super is only good in the corner.
Yeah at 3 in the morning I couldn't think of what they're actually called so I just said X-ray lol. I think I have some more corner knockdown setups that we need to test out.

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
What about block string throw traps?
f+1,3, trait is viable until the opponent knows that its interruptable on block

F3 is about 4 frames slower. But for some reason they don't have the block advantage for MB cleaver spin. Is it the same as regular Cleaver?

Edit, nevermind, MB Cleaver is much safer than regular.

loogie

Noob

one of the best AAs, you can link up with standing 2 into MB Swamp Hands for max damage combo...

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
grundy aa grab man i love it even with my shitty reactions im hittin them
i need more grundys to play against played c88 dab last night man his grundy is tight
other than dat i havent seen any really

nhex

Noob
Noticed today that MB trait throw (as attacker) beats wakeup back dash, at least for some characters. Pretty nice, i rarely do a wakeup trait throw without MB anyway

What about block string throw traps?
f+1,3, trait is viable until the opponent knows that its interruptable on block

You can also do 11WC, and 112 trait if I'm not mistaken. The former is very easily escapable on reaction, however since the WC can be cancelled it becomes a mix-up, I'm not sure what the options are to avoid the latter other than jumping and maybe backdashing.

In regards to the thread, thanks, been using f13 to great effect after MB WC's. It's pretty effective. Didn't know d13 combod, gonna try to implement that in my game since the hard knockdown is always welcome.

nhex I wouldn't even waste the meter, just WC/f13 trait. I'm pretty sure both beat wake-up back dash and neither loses you a bar.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Noticed today that MB trait throw (as attacker) beats wakeup back dash, at least for some characters. Pretty nice, i rarely do a wakeup trait throw without MB anyway
If timed perfectly, nothing can be backdashed on wake up. I wrote this up before I figured that out. Its good that you figured that out so early.

fr stack

what do u guys think of this , it beats wake ups cant be clashed jumped or tech rolled
i would only use this with at least 2 bars , all u have to do is land a MB walking corpse , then theres 2 ways of doing it either :MB WC, dash dash, ji ,WC or :MB WC, WCC, ji ,WC
each MB WC does the same as a double f3 or b3
thoughts???
edit / 4 reps of this builds a bar and u get one meterless one at the end or whatever set up u want

Gruff757

The Gruff
what do u guys think of this , it beats wake ups cant be clashed jumped or tech rolled
i would only use this with at least 2 bars , all u have to do is land a MB walking corpse , then theres 2 ways of doing it either :MB WC, dash dash, ji ,WC or :MB WC, WCC, ji ,WC
thoughts???
edit / 4 reps of this builds a bar and u get one meterless one at the end or whatever set up u want
sounds interesting. test time i guess :D

thoughts???

Are you talking about looping the walking corpses?

yup its very frame specific apparently , but its doable

This is really old. Tom did a video about it awhile ago. Its not guarnateed though. If you time it perfect they can still do a wakeup attack on the first frame and escape it because they'll be unthrowable. If you delay it slightly so that the wakeup attack won't avoid it then they can jump away. Besides that there's better ways to time it. off the initial mb walking corpse do grave rot and then do a walking corpse it adds a significant amount of damage over the loops if they fail to wakeup attack. After the initial one you can neutral jump take a step forward and do it. 4th or 5th one you can grave rot again. I do it all the time on people and force them to do a perfect wakeup. Also should note certain characters seem to have an easier time getting their wakeup attacks off. The teleporters, flash, hawkgirl, and batgirl seem to do better at escaping it for some reason.

fr stack

This is really old. Tom did a video about it awhile ago. Its not guarnateed though. If you time it perfect they can still do a wakeup attack on the first frame and escape it because they'll be unthrowable. If you delay it slightly so that the wakeup attack won't avoid it then they can jump away. Besides that there's better ways to time it. off the initial mb walking corpse do grave rot and then do a walking corpse it adds a significant amount of damage over the loops if they fail to wakeup attack. After the initial one you can neutral jump take a step forward and do it. 4th or 5th one you can grave rot again. I do it all the time on people and force them to do a perfect wakeup. Also should note certain characters seem to have an easier time getting their wakeup attacks off. The teleporters, flash, hawkgirl, and batgirl seem to do better at escaping it for some reason.
yeah i wouldn make it a staple of my play or anythin , just grundys f3 seems very blockable for unclashable damage , i took it online with mixxed results it does seem char specific :( oh well !!