What's new

KL Hat Trick Being Slept On?

So a lot of ppl in here seem to think the Hat Trick variation is completely unviable this time around and i kind of want to challenge that idea a bit
In my honest opinion I think the Tempest Variation, while vastly better on combos, loses to Hat trick in meter management and pressure

Firstly lets talk about meter management, it costs nothing to use Z-hat by itself whereas to use orbiting hat costs both an offensive meter and defensive meter just to use the base version. The Caveat to this is that Z-hat without any meter burn is-8 on block which is jab punishable by I think most of the cast (so really in effect using it without meter is kind of gimmicky/risky, so I wouldnt do that in higher level play unless u have the spacing just right). So in order to make up for this u have two meter options which make this move very strong, one in which u spend 1 defensive bar to cancel the startup, and another where u spend 1 offensive bar in order to get u out of the locked animation to continue pressure. Now if the point of using orbiting hat in neutral is to make some strings safer (i.e. F21 which is -13 on block, where as orbiting hat is -7) then this variation does this job better and in stride since one option leaves u in advantage on block and the other just costs less for the same effect.

Tl;dr, it costs one less meter (of ur choice) in Z-Hat to do what Orbiting hat does in neutral and does it better in some cases

Secondly talking about pressure. a lot of ppl are upset about the fact that Z-hat has a long startup. well this can be remedied in two ways, first by using it in a standard string where its costly for the opponent to try to interupt it such as F214 where if u use it after F21, ur opponent wont want to try and guess the 50/50 because if they guess wrong then they get hit with a Krushing Blow (in other words make use of the fact that ur opponent is playing cowardly and/or doesnt understand ur strings). Second using it instead of a combo finisher so that it turns their wake-up into a meaty situation where if ur opponent doesnt roll or late WU, they have to eat a free mix-up if u spend offensive meter, and if they do roll and u spend the offensive meter then ur still safe. Also should be noted that most of the time if they dont roll or late WU then u dont have to spend any meter because most combos will put them in a far enough away so that they are too far away to jab punish the un-amplified Z-hat

Finally, and this is where i feel like most ppl are sleeping on this variation, the air teleport. This option is actually kind of nutty since now, not only does ur opponent have to worry about a potential gutsy Shaolin Drop (air.D4) at any part of the screen, now they have to worry about a teleport mixup. this is particularly good if u've conditioned ur opponent to play defensively when u jump, i.e. they see u jump back and start blocking in anticipation of the shaolin drop, well now u jump back and use air teleport, and since u know theyre blocking u can now get a free throw, or if u feel like they might press a button u can press 1 and get a full combo, or 2 if theyre getting cutesy and are ducking the 1 option from teleport. ALSO this move can be canceled into from any air option which makes it even crazier cuz now u can start teleporting at the end of combos instead of using air.D4 and getting some more free mix-ups (if they dont spend defensive meter or late WU)

All in all, the playstyle Hat trick offers less costly pressure at the expense of damage in combos, so if u really like playing a nasty pressure game, then i feel this variation is still ur speed, though i will agree i miss old Hat trick KL from MKX :(

But tell me what u guys think, if u think im an idiot, let me know why, just kind of want ppls thoughts on this

My thoughts:

At first I thought the Hat Tricks variation was trash, i tried it, i didn't think of any good use for the z-hat and i dropped it almost instantly, thinking that the other variation is better, because of the orbiting hat being safe (-7 i think).

Even tho it looked good on paper - when i faced an opponent who knows what they're doing in this game, the orbiting hat became mostly a pain in the ass because once used - there i lost a defensive meter (dumb idea by NRS), and that lost me a lot of matches because i didn't have access to breakaway even tho i "felt" like i should.

Z-hat on the other hand can be tricky to punish in the neutral and cancelled, causing the opponent think twice before countering the slow startup, and if you do it with some range between you and opponent - it becomes an even stronger tool.

I'm coming to the conclusion that both variations are equally good, the choice depends on the matchup and the player you're against.
(but I wouldn't mind fixing the orbiting hat to NOT use the defensive meter and speeding up the z-hat start up time)

I got a little story:
I participated in a local tourney 2 days ago, made it all the way to the winners finals, and i had a really close set vs a Liu Kang player, who mostly just zoned the shit out of me with his low and high fireballs, along with random dragon kicks i couldn't really predict (but thats my fault).

So it's match 3 in a best of 3 set, I switched to the Tempest variation because he was punishing my air teleport and I thought with the orbiting hat being safe - i'll do better in the up-close part of the game. So we're both won one round each, we both have like 7-10% health, he's trying to chip me out with ex-fireballs and I'm too scared to teleport because he's been consistently punishing them with his d1.

And here's where my MKX Tempest instinct kicked in: I did the orbiting hat and teleported behind him, the orbiting hat hit him and combo'ed into the throw, he had no way of escaping that because if he blocked - i would have still thrown him and won the game, and my orbiting hat beat his d1 poke. He didn't expect that at all and I won. It was hype.

Then he came back to the grand finals from the loser bracket and I beat him 3-1 there, but he was a different person after the loss in the winners finals, he was emotionally messed up and started doing mistakes in simple situations. I won the whole tourney.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
My thoughts:

At first I thought the Hat Tricks variation was trash, i tried it, i didn't think of any good use for the z-hat and i dropped it almost instantly, thinking that the other variation is better, because of the orbiting hat being safe (-7 i think).

Even tho it looked good on paper - when i faced an opponent who knows what they're doing in this game, the orbiting hat became mostly a pain in the ass because once used - there i lost a defensive meter (dumb idea by NRS), and that lost me a lot of matches because i didn't have access to breakaway even tho i "felt" like i should.

Z-hat on the other hand can be tricky to punish in the neutral and cancelled, causing the opponent think twice before countering the slow startup, and if you do it with some range between you and opponent - it becomes an even stronger tool.

I'm coming to the conclusion that both variations are equally good, the choice depends on the matchup and the player you're against.
(but I wouldn't mind fixing the orbiting hat to NOT use the defensive meter and speeding up the z-hat start up time)

I got a little story:
I participated in a local tourney 2 days ago, made it all the way to the winners finals, and i had a really close set vs a Liu Kang player, who mostly just zoned the shit out of me with his low and high fireballs, along with random dragon kicks i couldn't really predict (but thats my fault).

So it's match 3 in a best of 3 set, I switched to the Tempest variation because he was punishing my air teleport and I thought with the orbiting hat being safe - i'll do better in the up-close part of the game. So we're both won one round each, we both have like 7-10% health, he's trying to chip me out with ex-fireballs and I'm too scared to teleport because he's been consistently punishing them with his d1.

And here's where my MKX Tempest instinct kicked in: I did the orbiting hat and teleported behind him, the orbiting hat hit him and combo'ed into the throw, he had no way of escaping that because if he blocked - i would have still thrown him and won the game, and my orbiting hat beat his d1 poke. He didn't expect that at all and I won. It was hype.

Then he came back to the grand finals from the loser bracket and I beat him 3-1 there, but he was a different person after the loss in the winners finals, he was emotionally messed up and started doing mistakes in simple situations. I won the whole tourney.
I kinda like playing hattrick more lately, pretty much agree with what you say.
Btw if they keep punishing teleport, maybe mix in mb teleport to get them thinking more

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I did the orbiting hat and teleported behind him, the orbiting hat hit him and combo'ed into the throw, he had no way of escaping that because if he blocked - i would have still thrown him and won the game, and my orbiting hat beat his d1 poke. He didn't expect that at all and I won. It was hype.
Usually throws don't hit if they are in blockstun, so I'm not sure if it would have worked if he blocked the hat.

Good to know that it works on hit though.

I've also managed to throw them, then the hat hits - which makes the opponent restand but KL falls on the ground.

Also, I have managed to land an overhead, then the hat hits, which kept them standing. I wasn't able to to combo after that but I wasn't really ready for it so there's a possibility...

I've also managed to throw them, then the hat hits - which makes the opponent restand but KL falls on the ground
I think that its kinda random. Sometimes the hat hits them before the throw and other times it hits after.

In my case it hit before the throw. I'm gonna lab it more today and let you know.

I'm starting to think that I used the omega hat at the tournament and not just orbiting hat. Cant remember it all happened too quick.

Btw if they keep punishing teleport, maybe mix in mb teleport to get them thinking more
Yeah man that's good option in clutch situations. I'm definitely gonna use it.

I guess I didn't do it because I was still new to the game. The tournament happened 3 days after the release hah

BookBurning

Voidwards
Can we get some hat trick videos? I've been having alot of success with Lotus Fist but I want to see some of you guys playing Hat Trick for some inspiration.