What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana vs Triborg (Smoke) - Gaps in strings, punishable strings, Fade-Port anomalies.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
After recently just getting back into the game, I spent a considerable amount of time in the lab because this matchup is relatively new. I was looking for gaps in Smoke's strings as well as strings that could be punished on block. What I found was a lot of inconsistencies when trying to armor through gaps when Smoke cancels into his overhead teleport (Fade-Port)

Below are the notes from my findings. Hopefully the community will find it useful. I may do the same thing for Triborg's other variations or other characters and create a guide if there is interest.

Also of note, I completely forgot to test EX Throat Slice. I may update this post later with that info.

=====
Gaps
=====

A () notes where a gap is. I didn't bother listing shorter versions of the same string (example: 113 is listed, but 11 isn't). I did however make notations on shorter string if it was relevant. Also noted for quick reference is the hit type next to the string; H = high, L = low, M = mid, O = overhead.

111()2 - HMMM

If Fade-Port is used at the gap, it will crush EX Rising Blades while EX Assassin Strike will pass through, doing no damage. EX Square Wave will land.

11()3 - HHM

If Fade-Port is used at the gap, it will crush EX Rising Blades while EX Assassin Strike will pass through, doing no damage. EX Square Wave will land. This is the only string Smoke has where Kitana can successfully parry at the gap. Even so, using parry here is not recommended due to 111~ beating parry and being the more commonly used string. I also believe that Fade-Port crushing EX Rising Blade after 11() and 111() to be a bug because only the Fade-Port hits and none of his jabs.

B12+4 - OM

No Gap. If Fade-Port is used after B1, EX Rising Blade, EX Assassin Strike, and EX Square Wave will land.

F131 - HLM

No Gap. If Fade-Port is used after F13, EX Rising Blades catches it as does EX Assassin Strike and EX Square Wave. If used at end of string, it passes through EX Rising Blade and EX Square Wave, but EX Assassin Strike still lands.

21()3 - HMO

All armor works at the gap, even if Fade-Port is used.

B2()13 - MML

EX Rising Blade and EX Square Wave will land at the gap but you must use reversed inputs since b21 switches sides. If EX Assassin Strike is used at the gap, it will travel the wrong way and whiff.

B2()14 - MMH

EX Rising Blade and EX Square Wave will land at the gap but you must use reversed inputs since b21 switches sides. If EX Assassin Strike is used at the gap, it will travel the wrong way and whiff.

F21()3 - MML

EX Rising Blade, EX Square Wave, and EX Assassin Strike will land at the gap. If Fade-Port is used at the gap, EX Rising Blade will catch it, making EX Rising Blade an answer for both the F213 and F21~Fade-Port mixup.

F21()4 - MMH

EX Rising Blade will pass through, but EX Assassin Strike and EX Square Wave will still land. Smoke can use this string to bait an EX Rising Blade instead of going for a mixup.

B3d4u3 - LLOH

No gap. If Fade-Port is used after b3, EX Rising Blade and EX Assassin Strike will land.

B3u4 - LMH

No gap. If Fade-Port is used after b3, EX Rising Blade and EX Assassin Strike will land. EX Square Wave will miss.

F34 - LM

No gap. Cannot be special canceled.

F4d12 - MMM

No gap. If Fade-Port is used after f4 or F4d1, EX Rising Blade, EX Square Wave, and EX Assassin Strike will land. If Smoke Cloud is used after F4 or F4d1, EX Square Wave will trade, leaving both characters at full screen. If EX Smoke Cloud is used, EX Square Wave crush it.

F4()2 - MM

EX Rising Blade and EX Assassin Strike will land at the gap.

F4()3 - MH

EX Rising Blade and EX Square Wave will land, but EX Assassin Strike will pass through at the gap.

*notes*

EX Rising Blade, and EX Assassin Strike will beat all special cancels into Smoke Cloud. However, in some instances, EX Square Wave will trade. Oddly enough, EX Square Wave will beat all EX Smoke Cloud cancels except for after 11 and 111.

EX Shadow Kick will pass under all Fade-Port cancels.

=========
-- Punishes
=========

Below is everything that can be punished on block, and what it can be punished with. I know you *could* simply do frame date math, but with how wonky hit boxes are and Kitana's fastest comboable string having piss poor range, I thought I'd simply list them. A ~ after a string notes that you can combo after however you wish.

Fade-Port:

Anything really. However, the first two hits of 111 will whiff.

Smoke Cloud and Trident:

Anything as long as you are at close range.

- B12+4 - OM

Punishable with: 111~, 21~, b14~

- F131 - HLM

Punishable with: D3

- B231 - MML

Punishable with: 111~, 21~, b14~,f22u4~, lift, D1, D2, throat slice

- B3d4 - LLO

Punishable with: 111~, 21~, b14~ (Royal Storm only), D1

- B3u4 - LMH

Punishable with: 111~, 21~, f43~, b14~, f22u4~, D2, lift. U2~, njp~, throat slice

- F34 - LM

Punishable with: 111~, d1, d3

- F4d12 - MMM

Punishable with: 111~, 21~, b14~, d1, d3

If there is anything else that anyone would like to add, feel free to do so.