What's new

Kitana Kustom moves Tier List and Explanations (1/28/21)

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Kitana Custom Moves Tier List

S (Always have, too good not to use):

- Low Fan Toss (fast, powerful zoning tool, frame traps with HBS, Flawless block mindgame, unbreakable damage option, combo ender.)

- Half Blood Stance (HBS)
(Tracking + on block zoning, oki tool, Stance cancels, massive damage potential from KB, Anti Zoning options, benefits from ground war and low fan toss greatly)

- Ground War
(11 frame reversal, armor breaks with a KB, allows an option select to cancel from air fan toss on hit including from teleport, best combo ender, runaway/approach tool, allows Edenian Twist KB to be practical)

S- (Can be used to a successful degree)

- Fannado
(Less combo damage midscreen, powerful zoning tool, covers all wakeup options when used on oki, + on block the further it travels)

- Flutter
(More damage from jump ins, baits anti airs, turns a failed flawless block attempt into offensive via whiff cancels, mobility tool, decent on oki)

A (Versatile, somewhat useful)

- Air Piercing Dagger
(replaces Air fan toss, hits mid, still benefits from ground war, projectile arch gains more options with advancing and retreating flutter, extremely + on hit)

- Advancing and Retreating Flutter
(2 slots, powerful runaway and rushdown option, allows a sideswitch from a jump in, massive corner carry when performed in combos.)

- Edenian Twist (this move goes up to S- with ground war)
(Launching KB, slower than ground war and covers less distance, pseudo mix potential when used with low fan)

A- (Match-up specific, or dependent on specific customs to be effective)

- Edenian Razors
(Massive advantage on hit, poke mindgame, unbreakable damage option, benefits from royal protection, safe chip-out option, poor damage and meter dependent.)

- Upward Fan Toss
(Very large active frames with fast recovery, combo extender, solid zoning tool, very situational)

- Royal Protection
(Large Damage boost that stacks, poor recovery and almost always punishable after use, benefits Low Fan, Razors, and throws heavily.)

B (Better options available, and lacking in value compared to other customs)

- Edenian Fade
(2 slots, more damage on block than hit, guaranteed somewhat safe 7% chip damage on oki, fast recovering runaway, decent zoning tool)

C (Replaces a move that is crucial to have, borderline unusable)

- Dancing Fans
(Replaces fan toss, can not be combo'd into, useless meterburn, easily avoided, massive recovery, goes away on hit)

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I feel like Royal Protection needs to be down there with fade or dancing fans. It’s slightly better since it can actually be used against some characters, but it’s still terrible trash I would never pick. Year long recovery and only destroying one fireball makes it a garbage anti-fb tool. Damage buff seems exciting on paper but is not needed on a character with a meterless launcher and 2 KBs she will get every match (df2 and b142).

The only other big thing I disagree with here is Twist being S- with ground war. You’re effectively burning two custom slots for a mediocre mixup tool since it’s worse than ground square wave in every other way. It sucks because I really want to like Twist but I really don’t think it’ll ever be more than a gimmick in its current state.

Otherwise I’d say this is a good list. If I was actually trying to build a winning variation I wouldn’t pick anything below A tier on this list so I find it informative.

DarksydeDash

I feel like Royal Protection needs to be down there with fade or dancing fans. It’s slightly better since it can actually be used against some characters, but it’s still terrible trash I would never pick. Year long recovery and only destroying one fireball makes it a garbage anti-fb tool. Damage buff seems exciting on paper but is not needed on a character with a meterless launcher and 2 KBs she will get every match (df2 and b142).

The only other big thing I disagree with here is Twist being S- with ground war. You’re effectively burning two custom slots for a mediocre mixup tool since it’s worse than ground square wave in every other way. It sucks because I really want to like Twist but I really don’t think it’ll ever be more than a gimmick in its current state.

Otherwise I’d say this is a good list. If I was actually trying to build a winning variation I wouldn’t pick anything below A tier on this list so I find it informative.
Royal Protection gets it's placement when you consider it now buffs her throws and KBs, increases the damage of her projectiles, including low fan (very powerful) as well as Razors. There are several MUs where this move becomes very strong, such as Cassie, Rain, Kung Lao, Kotal, and even in the Kitana Mirror. This move is primarily to use when your opponent only has one or no offensive bar since there will not be more than one projectile.

Ground War and Edenian Twist gives Kitana access to a very practical Krushing Blow either by catching counter pokes from her d4 or d1, as well as essentially giving her another Fatal Blow attempt should her first attempt whiff. You can of course combine this with several other KBs such as d2, cash out with df2 for nearly 50%, all while preserving your fatal blow. Does this sound familiar? It's nearly a fatal blow cancel from Joker and Johnny. Ground war also lets Kitana special cancel air fan toss into edenian twist should the fan catch an opponent. This special cancel only comes out on hit so it's no risk to her at all. Easiest way to set it up is end a combo with a fan/low fan toss and whiff your fatal blow, then they guess after blocking a b2, 12, etc. This only becomes even more scary when low fan is included as well.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
stance and low fan is best i think , but also low fan ground war and twist is good since she have very good mix on the ground with low fan and oh twist . I use vs characters who can zone me back stance and low fan and vs characters who must get in on me mix variation . Still good zoning with low and straight fan and when they get in keep guessing my mix :D

DarksydeDash

Almost 2 years and i still don't see any point to use Dancing Fans lol
Koisy actually showed that you can use it for setups and if they do anything other than block on wakeup/ roll, it will allow a full combo.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Funny enough, I think Kitana is in one of the better spots for customization options amongst the cast. Aside from Royal Protection being super niche and Edenian Fade / Dancing Fans being drastically outclassed, she's sitting on a set of great moves.

I will say that Air Piercing Dagger is A- in my mind. With the competition of Low Fan, HBS, Ground War, Flutter, and Edenian Twist, I find that it's difficult to justify Air Piercing Dagger aside from very specific combinations (namely, directional Flutter). Even then, I'd much rather have Low Fan or Ground War with directional Flutter.

wizgui

Noob
Koisy actually showed that you can use it for setups and if they do anything other than block on wakeup/ roll, it will allow a full combo.
Yeah, i saw that video, he made it look very very cool
But in my opinion Fan-nado is better in that case ‍:/