What's new

Question - Royal Storm Kitana in these MU's.

Hey guys, i was just hoping to get your opinions/advice on a few match ups i struggle with while playing Kitana.

1) Grandmaster Sub Zero
Im scared to zone, because of ex ice ball, or the clone absorbing the fan. But when up close, i get fucked in neutral because i have no way around the clone.

2) Bone Shaper
I literally feel like i lose at ALL points of the screen. Not much to say there i guess?

3) Shirai Ryu Takeda
Hes safe on everything, so i dont know how to get damage off since he can just block low obviously. And the good ones dont throw out stupid teleports full screen for me to punish.

4) And Dvorah
Even though im pretty this MU is 5 - 5, ( might even be in Kitana's favour ) im still garbage it. Is there a right way to zone that can stop her from trading puddle with my fans?

Is Assassin better in any of these MU's? If so, why?
Oh and please dont tell me to play Mournful... cant stand the variation.

Cheers.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
1) Grandmaster Sub Zero
Im scared to zone, because of ex ice ball, or the clone absorbing the fan. But when up close, i get fucked in neutral because i have no way around the clone.

Master the skills of instant air fan. If done correctly, noone can react to a fan and throw ex ice ball/slide. (8f startup). It's an interesting matchup. Once you get close, use your d1, d3, your 21 frame trap and throw. You can't mix him up but you can try float gimmick. Sometimes you can also wait for him to kill himself too (B2 is easily punishable by reversal throat or standing 2)

2) Bone Shaper
I literally feel like i lose at ALL points of the screen. Not much to say there i guess?
lol his damage (both chip and combo) is terrible. It's still a 5-5 matchups. You can reflect his dark beam (it's very hard however), learn to deal with hell sparks: delayed MB hell sparks has a gap, quick MB hell sparks does very low chip, non MB hell sparks is horrible on Kitana, punishable by standing 2 or throat (you may need to run before using standing 2, hard punish however

3) Shirai Ryu Takeda
Hes safe on everything, so i dont know how to get damage off since he can just block low obviously. And the good ones dont throw out stupid teleports full screen for me to punish.
Again, spam your instant air fan. It's too fast, he can't teleport on reaction, sometimes fan can also hit him out of teleport startup animation. And he's not safe on everything. Your throat can actually punish everything he does. And you must learn when to throw out your armor, when he does some bullshit like cancelling normals into Kunai. The fact that Kitana completely shuts down his air game makes this matchup slightly in her favor

4) And Dvorah
Even though im pretty this MU is 5 - 5, ( might even be in Kitana's favour ) im still garbage it. Is there a right way to zone that can stop her from trading puddle with my fans?
Don't throw too many fans in a row. Throw one or two, jump float to avoid puddle then throw again.

I don't know. Assasin has good damage and a guarantee frame trap (21 ex sharpen is +6, jail into d3), but it lacks reflect and the long lift. You need lift to stop d'vorah and shinnok spam their d1/d4

Royal Kitana

Suicide squad
Royal storm for zoners cause u can reflect stuff but assassin can beat sub zero the matches you lost with Royal strom try assassin maybe u need more damage to win instead of reflecting

Espio

Kokomo
Hey guys, i was just hoping to get your opinions/advice on a few match ups i struggle with while playing Kitana.

1) Grandmaster Sub Zero

2) Bone Shaper

3) Shirai Ryu Takeda

4) And Dvorah

Oh and please dont tell me to play Mournful... cant stand the variation.

Cheers.
1. These two match ups always felt relatively the same to me using either variation. The main thing you need to concede versus Sub-Zero is winning the footsie game because while you can pop off instant air fans to check him and what not, he still controls the pace of the match up with ice clone. You just gotta be careful with ex ice ball. If you can, get a lifelead and keep it. Exploit your really good back walk to help punish his whiffs and what not.

Assassin's big damage and chip can possibly help with that and another strategic perk of Assassin is if you armor out of his pressure with ex dash you get out of the corner and the hit advantage is pretty significant as well. Parry is also good because it means you can get out of the corner if you make the correct read on a mid or overhead. It does over 20% with sharpen active, which means off of correct reads you can get potentially make a comeback if you're down life.

3. The best thing Assassin offers to fight SR Takeda is parry. It's not much, but at least gives you a more feasible fighting chance to get him to respect you. Teleport and his insane range make it tricky to zone and he definitely crushes you in footsies. At least you have some additional frame traps and higher damage/chip in this variation as well to make the most of every good read you make. Inevitably you're gonna have to work harder regardless as his design kind of hits Kitana where it hurts: in her zoning & footsies.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Teleport and his insane range make it tricky to zone and he definitely crushes you in footsies
NO. Takeda's teleport is too slow to counterzone Kitana. From mid range her 8f instand air fan (plus a few frames to jump) beats everything Takeda can throw out

Espio

Kokomo
takeda is annoying I'm not sure how to beat him but I sometimes get lucky with assassin and curious can I perry any of his. Chains or no he himself has to touch me
She can parry most of his standing whip attacks like back 2 and what not, but she cannot parry his air or ground spear whip attacks so it's something to think about and definitely a viable counter to his superior ranged options.

I'd just like to add Full Auto Jacqui to my original list.

I feel like im getting slaughtered full screen. Is the gameplan just to check her with IA fans, and slowly work your way in ? Ive come the conclusion that Assassin is better for this MU. As b3 has garbage range, and you can also parry her safe wake up. But outside of that, how do you guys play this MU ?

HOT_ DNA

UMVC/MKX Player
I get ABUSED by scorpions... I'm a marvel player and I rather fight 3 vergils... I HATE scorpion

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
I get ABUSED by scorpions... I'm a marvel player and I rather fight 3 vergils... I HATE scorpion
I use to be there man I feel you. This is what helped me

Ninjutsu = most of the time try to parry his f2 its pretty reactiable,
when you take away his range he isnt that scary, if he heavily does njp only do IAF if your sure you can (otherwise youre going to eat a teleport combo)

Hellfire= you have to bait. its the only way. go through the down forward motion then just hit block because he WILL export and you have to give him a 111df1 full combo punish, try to be mindful of your IAF and use your backdash/back walk to constantly be full screen awayfrom him.

Infirno= assasian strike shines!!!!!!!!!!! every minion grab he WILL eat an assasian strike EVERYTIME

good scorps= any paitent scorp that knows the mu and is patient is a threat. at that level it can be a rough fight. any good scorp wont get baited so you have to respect them as much as possiable

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
Assassin can parry some of Takeda's whips, I believe.
She can parry his whips and his rolling air ball attack (spear ryu). Its an overhead so it's always nice to make a takeda player think about throwing it out once they realize what just happened lol.

Sonya can also parry his whips in covert ops. I don't have much success with Kitana in the takeda match at times, but I've done much better with Sonya. I guess it all comes down to the player.

If takeda decides to cancel his teleport after using his b12 string, Sonya can do b14 since most of what takeda throws out after has a long startup and will reach him easily.

If the same is done against Kitana, she can do a few things depending on distance; her f112 string; 111; fan lift or a parry to stop his pressure. You MUST react and expect his teleport cancel to be thrown out at all times during his b12 string in order to stop him from continuing.

Be careful though, he can throw out an ex kunai and lock you down, so be prepared to jump out on a read if you expect him to do it or use ex rising fans.