What's new

Kitana General Discussion

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
whats the consensus on Fearless? Been playing it for a couple months now and love the zoning, but seems she has a couple really rough MUs like 52KP Erron
Fearless is her 2nd best variation and Erron is a universal bad MU but you can use D3 to low profile scud shot, interrupt F32, and low fan is a check after blocking F4 because normally he can do d4 and low profile anything Kitana does.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
whats the consensus on Fearless? Been playing it for a couple months now and love the zoning, but seems she has a couple really rough MUs like 52KP Erron
I came in here just to revive this debate. I've seen people in here say things along the line of Fearless being non-viable, due to the fuzzyability of the mix and the FB gap in ex-low fan....but have yall been watching Destroyer's tourney? Kitana Prime is puttin in WORK with fearless.
In KP's stream he himself said he thought Fearless was way better than Fan-Fare. Yet I see so many awesome high lvl Fan-Fares on PS4 streams. Is it bc of character loyalty?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I came in here just to revive this debate. I've seen people in here say things along the line of Fearless being non-viable, due to the fuzzyability of the mix and the FB gap in ex-low fan....but have yall been watching Destroyer's tourney? Kitana Prime is puttin in WORK with fearless.
In KP's stream he himself said he thought Fearless was way better than Fan-Fare. Yet I see so many awesome high lvl Fan-Fares on PS4 streams. Is it bc of character loyalty?
Yes, considering there’s really no reason to pick Kitana outside of character loyalty.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Yes, considering there’s really no reason to pick Kitana outside of character loyalty.
I'd argue Highborn definitely has more than enough power to warrant picking for reasons outside character loyalty. It's simple, boring, and doesn't feel like traditional Kitana for playstyle; but Highborn is, imo, a highly competitive variation that could easily be considered in the lower end of the top 10 right now. Maybe top 12 or so.

Fan-Fare has fundamental design flaws accentuated by Kitana's fundamental design flaws that make it a rather pointless pick.

Fearless has some pressure gimmicks that should not work consistently in high level play, but I'd argue Fearless is one of the top 3 best zoners this game has. Having inconsistent gimmicks in the close range game of a zoning-heavy variation is perfectly fine considering how much life she's able to chip off from a distance. Take Kitana_Prime's play in Destroyer's recent tournament as a perfect example of Fearless being used efficiently in pro play. He was regularly locking down his opponents from acting at mid- to full-screen distances while chipping down their life and measuring out potential punishes by the opponent to avoid.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I'd argue Highborn definitely has more than enough power to warrant picking for reasons outside character loyalty. It's simple, boring, and doesn't feel like traditional Kitana for playstyle; but Highborn is, imo, a highly competitive variation that could easily be considered in the lower end of the top 10 right now. Maybe top 12 or so.

Fan-Fare has fundamental design flaws accentuated by Kitana's fundamental design flaws that make it a rather pointless pick.

Fearless has some pressure gimmicks that should not work consistently in high level play, but I'd argue Fearless is one of the top 3 best zoners this game has. Having inconsistent gimmicks in the close range game of a zoning-heavy variation is perfectly fine considering how much life she's able to chip off from a distance. Take Kitana_Prime's play in Destroyer's recent tournament as a perfect example of Fearless being used efficiently in pro play. He was regularly locking down his opponents from acting at mid- to full-screen distances while chipping down their life and measuring out potential punishes by the opponent to avoid.
Again, that’s cool that she sits right around of top 10, but you said it yourself: right outside of top 10. Meaning, unless you like the character, why would you choose her?

Geras’s pressure is just as stupid with his damn +1000 sand clones, Cetrion is teleporting all over the screen and has great zoning pressure, etc.

It’s just the way the game is designed. NRS threw a million specials at these characters, then had to design different normals for 30+ characters that somehow also have to fit nearly any playstyle you can think of for each character. Naturally some characters got the short end of the stick, unless they wanted to standardize everything outside of visual differences.

In no other NRS game as much as this one have the characters really just felt like visual avatars with a bunch of specials slapped on to me moreso than MK11. I love Kitana and I’m glad KP was finally giving her some competitive representation, but again, the only reason he did so is out of loyalty. Bless his heart <3

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Again, that’s cool that she sits right around of top 10, but you said it yourself: right outside of top 10. Meaning, unless you like the character, why would you choose her?
Considering there's 102 tournament variations currently in the game, I'd argue that Highborn being top 10-12 is kind of a big deal.

As for the character loyalty concern, I think this is just going to be a difference of opinion that won't change. I think there's a difference of opinion between us in how character loyalty affects people. I'd consider myself a 100% Kitana character loyalist through and through. She was my main in UMK3, MK9, and MKX. I proceeded to drop that bitch on DAY TWO after MK11's release due to her lack of any real sense of "being Kitana" and how fuckin clunky she played. I also dropped D'Vorah like a bad habit in the first week after release cause she felt like a rigid sack of rancid garbage after the day 1 patch. Anyway, I feel true character loyalty focuses more on playstyle and game feel and less on "it's Kitana so I gotta." While KP could drop Kitana/Jade for the more widely agreed-upon very top top tiers, there's definitely something to be said for his general sense of comfort in piloting those two characters' movesets instead of Geras, Cetrion, Liu, Johnny, Jacqui, etc.

Edit: This is Fanfare specific

Hey guys. I was practicing some oki, and something I noticed was that Kitana against Jade can fully oki her up 3. If you land a fan to end your combo, dash forward, and jump kick at just the right time, you can get a +7/8 jump kick on block on the other side OR land a combo on the other side if she u3s (Kitana's back foot hits Jade's head lol haha hitboxes) , giving you either pressure and shutting down two of Jades wake up options. I tested it on a few other characters, mainly Noob, Kitana herself, and Lao. On certain characters u3s that cause them to advance, its much more inconsistent (Lulz MK11) but you can still cause them to whiff the same time your jumpkick whiffs and fullcombo punish on the other side. Your jump kick will whiff, their u3 will whiff, and you will recover faster and full combo punish. I dont think you can pressure them on block wiith a deep jump kick, but ill have to test it some more.

With this strat, rolls wont hit you but forward roll will reset the neutral and backroll will put them in your face. Its all safe because with plus what? +52 they arent anti airing you. Jumps are more strict but you can still properly punish a jump by making your deep jump kick more strict with the timing or they will jump out.

Anyone try this yet for oki?

So is there any trick to timing the close edenian razors after the back 2 strings to get 0 or plus one I let go immediately and only get -1 consistantly

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
So is there any trick to timing the close edenian razors after the back 2 strings to get 0 or plus one I let go immediately and only get -1 consistantly
You have to preemptively let it go just BEFORE the final razor hit. It sorta continues for a small moment after you release the button so your goal is to aim for already ending the animation before the last razor makes contact. There's a very small window for it, though, because doing it too early makes the third fan disappear prior to hitting and leaves you completely doomed. It's stupidly impractical to get consistently online because of this.

You have to preemptively let it go just BEFORE the final razor hit. It sorta continues for a small moment after you release the button so your goal is to aim for already ending the animation before the last razor makes contact. There's a very small window for it, though, because doing it too early makes the third fan disappear prior to hitting and leaves you completely doomed. It's stupidly impractical to get consistently online because of this.
0 is pretty often aswell, but plus one is rare and the other strings are super easy to get plus one on

So Ive always thought that Kitana has pretty good on hit and on block IA mb fans... I did a few tests on oki with FF. If you read a jump you can hit confirm after landing IA mb fans on hit it seems? I covered ia fans on everything but delay wakeup and advancing specials/teleports. But as you can see when you end in fans in your combos you get plus 52 so you dont have to jump back and throw a fan. IAF on hit guarrentees a dash forward b2 as they cant jump out of it and it guarantees plus 40 frame movement. I discovered this after I got tired of people breaking away from mb square wave in combos. Feel free to critique as Ive only labbed this and not done it in game.

Oh and on block you're plus 7. Not that you can do much with it? Like I said, I'm just testing things.

Stanlos

Noob
It's a KL skin.
I hope it hasn't already been issued like the metallic strawberry ones as that means I just can't get it no matter how much I play Scorpion League of how much I Krypt. As a casual player this is the area I hate most about MRS games judging by Injustice 2 and MK11.

DarksydeDash

I hope it hasn't already been issued like the metallic strawberry ones as that means I just can't get it no matter how much I play Scorpion League of how much I Krypt. As a casual player this is the area I hate most about MRS games judging by Injustice 2 and MK11.
It was data mined long ago to be in KL alongside the skins in the current season so it's most likely next season.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Ha, I popped into this thread just to check if folks were discussing this skin. I was playing a tower the other night and the Kitana opponent had this skin--took me by surprise. Since the last patch, tower oppos have started to appear in KL skins (cool change, imo) but this was the first time I'd seen an unreleased skin in a tower.

Hot damn, it looked soo good. I friggin hate KL, but I might need to go for this one. Oh lordy, please don't be the god ranks reward...

Hi. Does anyone know how many frames it takes to backdash, forward dash, short hop and jump? I don't know if this frame data is widely known, but ive always been curious because I don't know. Thank you ahead of time.

OPS-soldier

DarksydeDash

Hi. Does anyone know how many frames it takes to backdash, forward dash, short hop and jump? I don't know if this frame data is widely known, but ive always been curious because I don't know. Thank you ahead of time.

OPS-soldier
Varies per character, Kitana has the slowest backdash in the game at like 20 frames and one of the fastest jumps.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Yeah, we'll just say her jump back is her backdash and that's it.
She can literally walk back that distance faster than dashing. I get why, from a design standpoint, a potentially great zoner shouldnt have really good movement; but then I look at Cetrion's obscenely broken backdash (combined with a teleport usable in the air) and think "...really?"

Then again, Kitana also has one of the best jump arcs in the game due to how wonky her hitbox gets so there's that.