What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Stanlos

Noob
I didn't realize that making b2 an overhead in Fan Fare means it woukd be an overhead in ALL the variations. So I guess that means to buff Fan Fare it would have to be buffs to Fan Fare specific moves. Sooooooooooooooo I huess buffing Royal Protection buff in both magnitude and duration and making fan lift a low are all one can hope for. That and an acriss the board fix to her strings so you can't be punished for HITTING someone who happens to magically fall out while you are wacking away at the air with your fans.

Zviko

Noob
Scaling really is weird with Kitana. Like you can do full combo mid screen and end it with Fatal Blow and it will do less damage than just starter into Fatal Blow. That fan lift adds so much scaling it's ridiculous.

I agree about Royal Protection too. Protection my ass. You should be able to hold it and absorb everything. Or make the buff last a lot longer like Scorpion's or something. Now it's just useless in every way.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I didn't realize that making b2 an overhead in Fan Fare means it woukd be an overhead in ALL the variations. So I guess that means to buff Fan Fare it would have to be buffs to Fan Fare specific moves. Sooooooooooooooo I huess buffing Royal Protection buff in both magnitude and duration and making fan lift a low are all one can hope for. That and an acriss the board fix to her strings so you can't be punished for HITTING someone who happens to magically fall out while you are wacking away at the air with your fans.
Simple, really: lower the combo scaling on both lifts (direct buff to Fan Fare and Fearless). Highborn is the no-combo variation, yet gets the most consistent damage for 0 effort because Kitana's lifts have insane scaling.

As for Royal Protection, I feel it shouldn't be a timed buff. It's a projectile absorb so it's already likely that Kitana is a good distance from her opponent so the buff duration makes it predominantly useless unless the opponent is dumb enough to eat a follow-up fan after watching you clap your fans into each other from across the screen. Then there's the issue of Kitana not being very efficient at opening up opponents to even properly take advantage of the damage boost. I'd say the buff could last indefinitely until Kitana's next fan toss (aerial, ground, low, the double one in customs, the aerial downward one in customs - all of her potential fan tosses would be affected by it). This means that the buff becomes a potent option that discourages opponents from just tossing out projectiles cause either Kitana's next zoning fan is gunna be chunky or Kitana is gunna hold the buff until she can cash out with a fan toss during a combo. They would 100% have to remove the ability for the buff to stack, though. That, or cap the stacking to something like 3 fans (change it so it doesn't increase the damage buff, just the number of next fan tosses that will be affected).

For Fearless, maybe lower the combo scaling of the Edenian Twist KB and/or increase its damage slightly? I'm really unsure what could be done with Edenian Twist as I think its an overall bad move anyway. In addition to Twist changes, slightly decrease the startup time of Fan-Nado but also slightly lower the projectile speed just enough that she doesn't have only one string that combos into it yet using it as a neutral/oki tool is still the same overall speed between startup and travel.

KriegerOfLucent

Embrace Walkback™
The main problem why Fan fare is horrible, is its bad design and horrible scaling. example:
2 bar corner combo doing less damage than a meterless combo.
Fan lift has an unfair scaling and that is exactly what should be changed first.
I would also make B2 an overhead, because if it looks like an overhead, it should be an overhead, but many do not share my philosophy, and I understand that. Many strings in the game are not what they look like.

Another really bad thing about Fan fare is royal protection. That is a dead skill and has very limited use. In my opinion, it should absorb as many projectiles as possible and I don't see rendering the variation broken.
As a general change, B231 sould not be a dial string. It brings no benefit

Stanlos

Noob
I definitely understand the logic of wanting b2 to be an overhead. I wanted that too because as you point out it looks like an overhead. But wouldn't it make High Born like stupid good?

I actually like and use Royal Protection a lot. Well, in Kombat League. It really helps versus zoners especially when you get superlow. I just wish it lasted longer and did more increase. It seems that parries that return fire are frowned upon so I didn't even ask

gitblame

Noob
I don't really see why Kitana having optimal corner KB damage not requiring any meter would be a bad thing.
B2 overhead is just LMAO

Royal protection against:
Kabal: it's a huge NO because the second he sees your royal protection, he will dash for a full combo punish. You can never recover in time block the dash
Subzero: if you absorb an ice ball, he can either slide or ex ice ball to punish you.
Sonya: use royal protection if you want to eat the krushing blow. Additionally, if she simply keeps spamming non-mb ring blast, you can't recover in time to block the next projectile after absorbing one.
Liu Kang: use royal projection if you want to eat the MB part of his projectiles
Cetrion: do you want to eat a geyser? Because that's how you eat a geyser into full combo

The list goes on.
I can never think of any situation where royal projection is useful

I can never think of any situation where royal projection is useful
Given so many situations against it's current version, it's a good reason why it should be changed to be able to hold it. That along with a slightly extended time to use it (and maybe a slight damage buff?), should be enough to make it more viable. I'd say an ex version to extend it, but that would just be a waste of meter, unless the damage buff is 2x the max it is now.

At least in the Sonya/LK matchups it neutralises their projectiles much more effectively. And the SZ also assuming you read the EX iceball.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I gotta admit, being Highborn first and then trying out Fan-Fare this variation is tough AF to use. Respect to everyone in here who gets far with it, esp prior to the buffs.

My brain will require 100's and 100's of more games to get the spacing down required to properly use her strings and normals in the fanfare variation. And like people are saying, the low dmg + breakaway = bad times lol. Reminds me of when I'd use Dark Sabbath Noob often, seemed like every time I opened opponent up they had full defensive meter.
So when I use Fanfare I usually end up spamming projectiles haha

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I gotta admit, being Highborn first and then trying out Fan-Fare this variation is tough AF to use. Respect to everyone in here who gets far with it, esp prior to the buffs.

My brain will require 100's and 100's of more games to get the spacing down required to properly use her strings and normals in the fanfare variation. And like people are saying, the low dmg + breakaway = bad times lol. Reminds me of when I'd use Dark Sabbath Noob often, seemed like every time I opened opponent up they had full defensive meter.
So when I use Fanfare I usually end up spamming projectiles haha
No offense but your spacing won't matter if your opponent decides to hold up.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I may end up walking back my switch over to Fearless from Fan Fare. Most of what made it initially seem like I might gain something in the trade seems to be more about capitalizing on ignorance than stuff you can put to reliable use. Not having a good damage route off of 12 means you lose out on many key punishes, and the ability to convert stray hits into lift makes random damage a little tougher. Losing flutter games is sad faces, and it's at least a little useful to be able to alter air trajectory, and be less predictable in the air.

Tossing out random lifts is kind of fun to catch people off guard or while aggressing, but it's easy to get stuffed and I'm not sure how much mileage you really get off of it. It's certainly not a favorable trade in the same sense as SZ's iceball. Amp low fan is super, super easy to Flawless and allows for a meterless punish. It's nice against Joker since it low profiles one of his projectiles, but that's not common, and the risk reward on low fan just doesn't appear to be favorable in much of any light I can find.

If twist was worth doing, or there was a Fearless only alt route on on 12 that gave you enough hit stun to get lift off of 12, then I would feel more confident in changing over. It's a fun enough variation that I may stick it out for awhile, and see what I think over time, but I'm not convinced one is any better than the other at this point. Not in any meaningful way at my level of play anyway.

No on that b2 as an overhead business. Not unless you take away the low, and even then nobody is going to want to deal with a comparatively quick, far reaching overhead that leads to a character's upper end of damage output.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I may end up walking back my switch over to Fearless from Fan Fare. Most of what made it initially seem like I might gain something in the trade seems to be more about capitalizing on ignorance than stuff you can put to reliable use. Not having a good damage route off of 12 means you lose out on many key punishes, and the ability to convert stray hits into lift makes random damage a little tougher. Losing flutter games is sad faces, and it's at least a little useful to be able to alter air trajectory, and be less predictable in the air.

Tossing out random lifts is kind of fun to catch people off guard or while aggressing, but it's easy to get stuffed and I'm not sure how much mileage you really get off of it. It's certainly not a favorable trade in the same sense as SZ's iceball. Amp low fan is super, super easy to Flawless and allows for a meterless punish. It's nice against Joker since it low profiles one of his projectiles, but that's not common, and the risk reward on low fan just doesn't appear to be favorable in much of any light I can find.

If twist was worth doing, or there was a Fearless only alt route on on 12 that gave you enough hit stun to get lift off of 12, then I would feel more confident in changing over. It's a fun enough variation that I may stick it out for awhile, and see what I think over time, but I'm not convinced one is any better than the other at this point. Not in any meaningful way at my level of play anyway.

No on that b2 as an overhead business. Not unless you take away the low, and even then nobody is going to want to deal with a comparatively quick, far reaching overhead that leads to a character's upper end of damage output.
I feel Fearless would be an infinitely more interesting variation if instead of Fan-Nado it had Forward/Backward Flutter. It'd make it a pseudo-mixup variation with a low projectile and multiple air options.

Zviko

Noob
Fighting a Kung Lao and that question : why did NRS decided Kung Lao could be able to use two tornados in the same combo, and not Kitana ?

That's really weird.
Probably cause Lao's doesn't combo from every string and he is also unsafe on almost every string.