What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
The catwoman skin has intros online and its sssooo good ingame.
I wish we could change masks with it. Apparently we won't be able to, I was looking forward to making her wear that skin with a regular mask so I'd run around as classic Kitana but with poofy hair. Oh well, I'm grateful for the skins nonetheless. It looks like we get new fan blades! They look similar to the ones rrom the movie.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I played fanfare and went 12-15 in KL last night.

For comparison I went Highborne and went 21-3 The next day

The opponent is always mashing against fanfare since we are negative in everything and have no way to keep our turn. You compare this to highborne's stance cancels, strike and throw game, and anti zoning tools, fanfare lacks in every department.

What's more, is that her d4 on block gets you killed because she can't walk back due to the cast having fast long reaching mids and her backwards walk speed is awful. On hit, we get nothing so.. Guess I gotta throw ass and hope they don't block it?

Like this really sucks because fanfare is so fun but highborne just solves all of these problems.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I honestly see no purpose of fan fare tbh.

Highborn is leaps and bounds better, then you got fearless to counterpick if you need to. Don’t get me wrong, fan fare has it uses in some matches, but it’s not enough to keep using imo.

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Silverye and VideogamezYo are begging for highborne to be nerfed on Twitter.

Do you know what inspired all this?
Probably because Razors is a high chip + safe block special with inherent mindgames that also is easily hit-confirmable into for 20%+ damage that leaves her plus to loop into more Razors. As much as I'm loving using it, the move is beyond overloaded. A solid 75%+ of Kitana's power budget is in that one move.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Probably because Razors is a high chip + safe block special with inherent mindgames that also is easily hit-confirmable into for 20%+ damage that leaves her plus to loop into more Razors. As much as I'm loving using it, the move is beyond overloaded. A solid 75%+ of Kitana's power budget is in that one move.
Because kitana outside of Highborn sucks b@lls. She is too slow and doesn't offer anything else other characters already offer.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Because kitana outside of Highborn sucks b@lls. She is too slow and doesn't offer anything else other characters already offer.
All the more reason her power budget is such a problem. If they pulled power from Razors and added to her base kit, it would simultaneously nerf the more egregious parts of Highborne and buff the other variations.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Silverye and VideogamezYo are begging for highborne to be nerfed on Twitter.

Do you know what inspired all this?
Losses and subsequent salt... :REO

In all seriousness, Arqwart already provided a very good explanation.

I never posted the following information, but as I was gathering data on which characters to main in case I ever traveled, I thought (and still think) the following about Highborn Kitana.

Pros:

- fan toss, amplified fan toss, aerial fan toss, sais, and dive kick control the pace of the match against most characters

- razors deal lots of chip damage and lead to slight block advantage when released at the correct time

- combos require no meter, leave the opponent standing, and guarantee mix ups

- small hitbox, which includes d+3, shrinking Kitana’s hitbox even more

- very good jump arc with very good hitboxes on jumping kicks

- serviceable fatal blow with decent speed, range, and hitbox

Cons:

- slow mid strings in contrast to many of the better characters in the game

- no krushing blows and no okizeme on forward and back throw

---

I do not support nerfs to Highborn at this moment, but if NRS gives Kitana even more universal buffs in the future, one type of nerf to razors may be a necessity.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Losses and subsequent salt... :REO

In all seriousness, Arqwart already provided a very good explanation.

I never posted the following information, but as I was gathering data on which characters to main in case I ever traveled, I thought (and still think) the following about Highborn Kitana.

Pros:

- fan toss, amplified fan toss, aerial fan toss, sais, and dive kick control the pace of the match against most characters

- razors deal lots of chip damage and lead to slight block advantage when released at the correct time

- combos require no meter, leave the opponent standing, and guarantee mix ups

- small hitbox, which includes d+3, shrinking Kitana’s hitbox even more

- very good jump arc with very good hitboxes on jumping kicks

- serviceable fatal blow with decent speed, range, and hitbox

Cons:

- slow mid strings in contrast to many of the better characters in the game

- no krushing blows and no okizeme on forward and back throw

---

I do not support nerfs to Highborn at this moment, but if NRS gives Kitana even more universal buffs in the future, one type of nerf to razors may be a necessity.
I'd like to add midscreen frame traps (sai toss) and stance cancel mind games to that list.

Art Lean

Noob
The hair turns me off this one. It looks terrible with her face. May have been better to give this outfit to Skarlet or Jade.
I'm happy to have a different haircut for her, don't get me wrong, kitana's lumbered with the same hair across all her human skins, but this feels so BAM KA-POW 60s Batman, I agree it spoils it for me. Wish she had some chinese buns or something to make the skin feel more adaptable to different takes on the accessories rather than feeling so "duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-nah-nah-BATMAN!"

I don't follow comics, I don't like super heroes at all. I've tried my best to make this unique skin feel ninjutsu and Oriental, but agree, the hair is far too Anette Funicello....

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I'm happy to have a different haircut for her, don't get me wrong, kitana's lumbered with the same hair across all her human skins, but this feels so BAM KA-POW 60s Batman, I agree it spoils it for me. Wish she had some chinese buns or something to make the skin feel more adaptable to different takes on the accessories rather than feeling so "duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah-nah-nah-BATMAN!"
I love the idea of having 60's catwoman... awesome concept, but it does not fit well with Kitana's asian appearance. This would really fit Skarlet in particular... her voice is perfect for it too.

Art Lean

Noob
Totally agree, for me the more Asian characters the better. I don't care if it retcons any previous renditions of the characters, they've always looked different in practically every game, movie and TV show. Kano's gone from Japanese-American to English (MK the movie, and yes Goddard played him as English) to Australian in the games (weirdly in tribute to Goddard, who not only played him English, but was English??), to English again (MK Legacy) and back to Australian. Reptile's real face has changed skull shape so many times who even knows anymore - I literally have no idea what Reptile is actually meant to look like? Sub Zero went from Chinese in MK1 to white in most of the other games to half-Japanese in MK Annihilation to white in Mythologies and Conquest to Chinese in Legacy to white again in the games then back to Chinese. Kitana has been white, Latino (MK movie) and Chinese (MK Legacy). Hell if it counts, Kabal was even black in the live show!

For me MK's always been "a handful of cynical Westerner fighters find out all the old Chinese myths were true". Outworld was full of Asian imagery in the early days, Goro had a Yin Yang belt, the architecture was all Oriental, I don't see any issue with Outworld-characters being readily presented as Asian in style.

And considering Mortal Kombat has literally one of the loosest, most care-free attitudes when it comes to representing some of their characters, I don't have a problem with Kitana being given a mystical ancient Chinese makeover... as already happened in Legacy. Love her like this in fact, please don't change her back!

She was also depicted as Asian in Mortal Kombat Gold. I want to say Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks as well, but might be wrong there.

Anyway, it's not the first time she's been portrayed as such, so it doesn't bother me, even though in the previous two games of this continuity, she was portrayed as causation.

Art Lean

Noob
She was also depicted as Asian in Mortal Kombat Gold. I want to say Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks as well, but might be wrong there.
That's potentially true... though the MK4 engine and portraits were so hideously ugly I won't make too many assumptions about her racial identity in that game haha. She could easily be Latin like Talisa Soto (and let's be honest here, Talisa's looks are so beautifully exotic that she could pass for many different ethnicities, even part-Asian) and until the 3D era I never realised Kai was meant to be black, actually thought he was Indonesian or Indian.

That's potentially true... though the MK4 engine and portraits were so hideously ugly I won't make too many assumptions about her racial identity in that game haha. She could easily be Latin like Talisa Soto (and let's be honest here, Talisa's looks are so beautifully exotic that she could pass for many different ethnicities, even part-Asian) and until the 3D era I never realised Kai was meant to be black, actually thought he was Indonesian or Indian.
She looks Asian in the official comic.

You can see it here.