What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Just got the patch on PC yesterday and got to toy around a bit. Are there any videos yet showing what Highborn can now do?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just got the patch on PC yesterday and got to toy around a bit. Are there any videos yet showing what Highborn can now do?
No videos I know of, but here’s a basic breakdown:

She can now hold forward during her spinning fan move to take a slight step forward. It’s very minor, but allows her to more consistently cancel into fans on hit or block, even midscreen.

This allows her to get a pretty insane amount of safe, staggerable, unbreakable pressure off of b231 from any point on screen. You can hold the button to allow 1, 2, or 3 fans to hit, and they have almost zero blockstun. They deal substantial chip and can leave you anywhere from -9 to +1 depending on when you release, distance, and other factors. On hit, they can leave you up to +20, meaning you can jail into another b2. It’s seriously an insane amount of pressure potential, with its inconsistency being its only real weakness.

I never played Highborne so I’m not sure how much better her db4 moves are than they used to be, but I’ve been getting a lot of mileage out of them. The teleport now low-profiles during its startup, making it easier to punish high projectiles. And her KB allows her to launch into her df2 KB for an insane amount of damage.

My initial impressions are that she’s an absolute beast from just about any point on screen right now.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Yeah I was in the inconsistence wagon but then I realized that just making sure that you're safe off it is more than enough, the +1 is the least important thing tbh since she is safe and doing a lot of chip. Her unbreakable damage into more potential chip pretty much does the same as she does in FanFare.

She can now hold forward during her spinning fan move to take a slight step forward. It’s very minor, but allows her to more consistently cancel into fans on hit or block, even midscreen.

This allows her to get a pretty insane amount of safe, staggerable, unbreakable pressure off of b231 from any point on screen. You can hold the button to allow 1, 2, or 3 fans to hit, and they have almost zero blockstun. They deal substantial chip and can leave you anywhere from -9 to +1 depending on when you release, distance, and other factors. On hit, they can leave you up to +20, meaning you can jail into another b2. It’s seriously an insane amount of pressure potential, with its inconsistency being its only real weakness.

I never played Highborne so I’m not sure how much better her db4 moves are than they used to be, but I’ve been getting a lot of mileage out of them. The teleport now low-profiles during its startup, making it easier to punish high projectiles. And her KB allows her to launch into her df2 KB for an insane amount of damage.

My initial impressions are that she’s an absolute beast from just about any point on screen right now.
Good stuff, thanks for the concise summary. So when you do Edenian Razors, I take it you immediately press Forward and hold? If you start Razors and then press Forward after it gets going, that will not change anything mid-move, correct?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Good stuff, thanks for the concise summary. So when you do Edenian Razors, I take it you immediately press Forward and hold? If you start Razors and then press Forward after it gets going, that will not change anything mid-move, correct?
Correct. Right now I don’t know of a reason not to always hold forward.

Correct. Right now I don’t know of a reason not to always hold forward.
so you can use neutral version to mix up the timing of the blocks to throw off your opponent and still be safe. You will get less chip and do a 2 hit version. Even though there seems to be a gap to attack back a fatal blow will get stuffed. So it is a real mind game.

E

Eldriken

Did something happen? Haven't been on the forums in a while.
What could have been settled with decent conversation or just being dropped altogether instead of becoming petty and name calling is what happened.

M2Dave

Zoning Master

Good analysis of post patch Highborn.

The following information is not exclusive to Highborn, but I would like to add that Kitana's d+3 still low-profiles certain key strings such as the second hit of Erron Black's f+3,2, Geras's f+2,1,2, and Scorpion's f+3,4. You can also low-profile the last hit of Jade's b+3,4,3,4. I wonder if there are any more strings.

I have no idea how effective this character is post patch. I doubt nobody does, but to claim that she has become worse as a small minority of Kitana players implied over the last seven days is absurd and pessimistic. I believe she has potential because she can be threatening anywhere on the screen like you mentioned.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Good analysis of post patch Highborn.

The following information is not exclusive to Highborn, but I would like to add that Kitana's d+3 still low-profiles certain key strings such as the second hit of Erron Black's f+3,2, Geras's f+2,1,2, and Scorpion's f+3,4. You can also low-profile the last hit of Jade's b+3,4,3,4. I wonder if there are any more strings.

I have no idea how effective this character is post patch. I doubt nobody does, but to claim that she has become worse as a small minority of Kitana players implied over the last seven days is absurd and pessimistic. I believe she has potential because she can be threatening anywhere on the screen like you mentioned.
She can also d3 between Skarlet's 1(2)4. Found out by accident last night lol.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Our shimmy game is so good now. Once you connect with the razors you can dash up and throw but the mind game is if you're gonna dash up and B14 so the mix loops into itself.

gitblame

Noob
21 seems really work well as auto shimmy after edenian razors on hit, as good sir @Peter818 showed in his video

uploaded that vid with some talks about the buff and the 21 string as well as pressure concepts. I put a thread about but if you just wanna see the vid here it is
Options after edenian razors on hit are massive. Jumps, shimmy game, chip damage, throws, pressure with stance cancels. Sometimes you will be able just to melt your oponnent healthbar in one sequence if he made one bad read.

It should be super easy to condition people after edenian razors to take the throw. Imagine Kitana had throw loops or throw krushing blow XD

No it's just guaranteed chip for 70 that they can flawless on read as you can change what strings to use. Also threat of throw as have been noted.

No it's just guaranteed chip for 70 that they can flawless on read as you can change what strings to use. Also threat of throw as have been noted.
Cool. Was toying around last night and there were a few times I though I might have been able to but dropped it, but figured I was psyching myself out.

I pretty much treat it as a combo when I'm playing and calculating damage. It is quite effective and still leaves you in a good spot.

Side note, not sure why but I have been able to get the gutted kb more now. Specifically I toss it out for trade scenarios in projectile wars as you get a lot of frames typically on trade. Then the possible damage spike comes in handle to close games. It's not every game but maybe every 5ish.

Probably because I actually learned a couple things outside of razor pressure finally lol.

Also do you all prefer to amp the dive kick or not on hit? I notice it is plus 9 without and combined with the razor damage and positioning it seems stronger to just go in without amp? So now I feel like I'm just using u3 flawless now for meter or random fan amps. How is everyone else using offense meter in highborn.

gitblame

Noob
Every gutted KB I have had so far (there wasn't many for sure) was immidately broken away. I think the happened to each of my D2 KB XD. She just does not leave oponnents many occasions to use their defensive meter. Next time I would probably go for edenian razors + advantage if my oponnent has full defensive bar.

dark55

Noob
Highborne was able to do probably the most meter-less corner damage in the game( 41 percent with jump in kick) and now that is gone with the razors being a mid now. Is it possible to ask paulo to revert the razors back to there original properties? lol paulo always fucking up stuff. L2Buff properly.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Is there a list of optimal Highborn combos anywhere? Not just corner razor combos but KB stuff too?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Is there a list of optimal Highborn combos anywhere? Not just corner razor combos but KB stuff too?
Sadly your only "combo" midscreen is off a Sai Stab KB that is very difficult to meet the requirements for.

But if you do have it, it's any string, db41KB, J2, 32, df2KB 47%

In the corner you replace the J2 with J3, then B14, fan toss, 12, DF2KB 51%

Outside of KBs, you're basically only doing a string into db2f and dashing up for a throw or strike mix or jail into 7% chip damage using B321.