What's new

King Of Fighters XV

Popegina

Hymen Holocaust
Spent the extra money to get early access but the night before I got way too fucked up and fell down a set of heavy stairs, knocking myself unconscious and getting a broken rib and sprained thumb. I was able to play a couple matches before my hand refused to cooperate, but so far I'm happy with it. I would prefer more single player content, but at least the game feels good to play. I'd say I like it more than Strive, so far

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
It didn't click with me at all. I found the game impossible to control using a standard controller. The directional inputs are impossible on dpad, and movement impossible on analog stick. Really made me appreciate NRS single df, bf, dbf, inputs over half circle~quarter circle~heavy kick+light kick just do a move lol means I can concentrate on the actual game rather than having to concentrate so much just to get a move out.

Just didn't do it for me
How the pad players can handle to play this game i have no idea but i admire your efforts on it. i am not saying that it is impossible to play on pad but near impossible for me tbh. i can't do short jumps, super short jumps on DS4 but on my stick Qanba Obsidian it is just about a simple push.
This is also my issue. I am a dpad thumbs player and can have lots of fun in MK11 and Tekken7 but KOF is just not made for this way of playing. These gameplay mechanics are still core to the arcade times with sticks in mind. I for example appreciate the way NRS has handled the inputs in MK11. It's made for console players with dpad in mind. (I use a ps4 pad)

Test to reproduce what I mean.
Any playstation dpad with your thumb. Do 10 short hops to your opponent and 10 back, now the same for big hops.
I got lots of just up hops or real jumps. If you are slower than 5 frames, it becomes a real jump not a hop. (Now a stick in mind (hitbox and keyboard should also work, i think.) where you easy push a diagonal, in compare.) The issue is also, that hops are kinda part of the meta in KOF. So basically, playing this game on pad is a huge handicap, sadly.

I really wanted to love this game, it looks fun for stick players tho. Cool gameplay mechanics, can't wait to see a 100% combo in future tournaments. Looking at you ComboBreaker. (I hope some tournament players play geese and yamazaki :D)
---
KOF will sadly again not sell well because of this, pad players for sure have the biggest player base these days. Yes, KOF15 might be the "easiest" out of the franchise, but still far away from "easy" or even enjoyable on pad. I know it's always painful as an oldschool arcade player (I am not) to admit that this scene is "dead", so is the population of an arcade stick. At least this is my view.
---
For all the other inputs on pad, this video here is really helpful. Basically this game also use a buffer system but a little different. Meaning, you buffer the motion and hold the button/s. So the move come out at the very first frame while holding the button. Important for combos and cancels.
Watch this helpful channel:
---
just my little impression for nrs pad players.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
This is also my issue. I am a dpad thumbs player and can have lots of fun in MK11 and Tekken7 but KOF is just not made for this way of playing. These gameplay mechanics are still core to the arcade times with sticks in mind. I for example appreciate the way NRS has handled the inputs in MK11. It's made for console players with dpad in mind. (I use a ps4 pad)

Test to reproduce what I mean.
Any playstation dpad with your thumb. Do 10 short hops to your opponent and 10 back, now the same for big hops.
I got lots of just up hops or real jumps. If you are slower than 5 frames, it becomes a real jump not a hop. (Now a stick in mind (hitbox and keyboard should also work, i think.) where you easy push a diagonal, in compare.) The issue is also, that hops are kinda part of the meta in KOF. So basically, playing this game on pad is a huge handicap, sadly.

I really wanted to love this game, it looks fun for stick players tho. Cool gameplay mechanics, can't wait to see a 100% combo in future tournaments. Looking at you ComboBreaker. (I hope some tournament players play geese and yamazaki :D)
---
KOF will sadly again not sell well because of this, pad players for sure have the biggest player base these days. Yes, KOF15 might be the "easiest" out of the franchise, but still far away from "easy" or even enjoyable on pad. I know it's always painful as an oldschool arcade player (I am not) to admit that this scene is "dead", so is the population of an arcade stick. At least this is my view.
---
For all the other inputs on pad, this video here is really helpful. Basically this game also use a buffer system but a little different. Meaning, you buffer the motion and hold the button/s. So the move come out at the very first frame while holding the button. Important for combos and cancels.
Watch this helpful channel:
---
just my little impression for nrs pad players.
i am playing all fighting games on my stick, even that cheap MK11. There is nothing that a pad can do but stick can not on fighting games. i don't think stick players will die that soon. There are tons of them still.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
i am playing all fighting games on my stick, even that cheap MK11. There is nothing that a pad can do but stick can not on fighting games. i don't think stick players will die that soon. There are tons of them still.
Dont get me wrong, I personally just prefer a pad in my hands compared to a huge stick in front of me. It's just a way of comfort, to a point where I just don't want to play with a stick ever.
Short: taste and the default device for a gaming system these days is a pad.

It'd take some getting used to, but they could solve the issue by just letting us map jump (or short hop specifically) to a button.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
This is probably of limited value as a personal POV take, but I don't know that the inputs are as unreasonable as lot of people just jumping in are feeling like. Not aiming any particular person (or even this site), but a lot of it falls under needing a little time to adapt and not really knowing how to work with the system.

A lot of people have had barley more than a week to try and do something they've never really be asked to do before. I'm old, I have the benefit of having tried stuff before. There have also been a few games along the way that I never really played, I just sat around in training mode doing combos just for the fun of trying. KOF14 was one of those. A lot of what I was goofing around with a few years back helps now and I'm finding I'm magically able to learn a lot of stuff easier and be more situationally aware about what routes I should take (having to be meter screen location aware to know what you can do is its own complexity problem).

I'm not saying I'm not screwing up a lot of stuff while trying to figure out what I want to do with what characters. There is some getting lost in the options, and characters along the way. Sometimes warming up seems to go a long way while getting used to stuff, but when I screw up I generally feel like it was something attainable and on me. The inputs don't feel unforgiving in ways some games once did, and I don't think the important stuff to be able to do is out of reach of as many people as people are feeling. I certainly don't think it feels anywhere near as challenging to hit basic competency as say "Undernight" and the KOF stuff should get easier for someone over a little time if it's something they are wanting to do.

If it's not worth the investment, that's super fair. One week in and I'm not sure I could find someone to play if I tried, and the CPU is basically input read into instant DP all day. I typically don't need other players to get something out of a FG, but I don't think that is going to cut it for motivation for most people. It very realistically isn't worth the investment, but then KOF could probably use some new players than aren't trying to go out and beat down Romance.

When it comes to pad vs stick or whatever, I typically play on a Hitbox like controller now, but used pad for 14. I plugged in a DS4 this morning just to see what I thought. I didn't do it long, but I really didn't feel like one was harder than the other, and short hops were actually more consistent on pad for the moment. (The flick down up jump variants are a bit of a different story). I would want a couple of combo button mappings I don't need on HB set up for consistency, but otherwise it felt very similar in difficulty for the range of things I was trying.

One of the big things with the inputs is generally to try and avoid fighting the motions. There is a reason characters have typically have QCF and QCB special moves (I can't speak for all characters as I'm not that deep into things). Those motions also count towards the supers' inputs. So if you want to do a HCB ending super, cancel into it from a QCF. It cuts a lot of the input out of the equation when you have a time constraint to hit your cancel window. Similar applies to DP motions counting. (Really this is just the latter discussion point of Rooflemonger's video above"

MuMuGuy

Noob
The game needs a patch for the matchmaking, it’s broken. The game is new and the queue times for Casual and Ranked matches are obscene. I routinely have 10+ minute queue times before getting a match.

The lobby system in XV sucks balls because they reused the Samurai Showdown (2019) lobbies, which allowed only one fight at a time. I don’t know why they didn’t just reuse the XIV lobbies, they were the only good thing in that game.

XV is going to become a Discord fighter real fast if they don’t fix the matchmaking and balance the meta characters. Dolores, Elisabeth, King, Ralf, Terry, and Vanessa are complete bullshit and make the rest of the roster irrelevant.