What's new

Kinda Lost On What To Do Next, Can Use Some Guidance

So I'm a like a very new player just started less than a week back and kinda lost on what to do this point on.

I made some krypt progress and finished all tutorials except the character ones which I plan to do next.

I also did the tower tutorial and stuff but kinda get lost about which character to go with like i dunno "to main" in a way.

I'm not planning to go pvp yet but go do towers both time and classic as well as scale the difficulty of the games higher and feel more capable with a character before going in the pvp stuff.

The only problem is I can't decide on a character to go with, always trying them out on practice and see variations but never able to feel like it's the right one.

Maybe after the character tutorials I got a better picture or something...

What you guys say?

Edit 1: I also finished both stories too.

Last edited:
My recommendation is to play Story Mode, as it let's you sample about half the roster. Through that, you'll be able to get an idea of who you like the feel for.

If there's a certain archetype kind of character you like in fighting games, we can recommend off that too.

My recommendation is to play Story Mode, as it let's you sample about half the roster. Through that, you'll be able to get an idea of who you like the feel for.

If there's a certain archetype kind of character you like in fighting games, we can recommend off that too.
Sorry I forgot to add that I finished both stories too...

I want to dig a more hands on character like cqc stuff and less of zoning and projectile abilities i guess.

I also kinda lack in the kombo stuff like juggling and using juggles to extend kombos.

Also I tend to get tense and forget the stuff i practices during play, which is kinda embarrassing lmao or like miss the buttons.

Okay, and there was no one in Story Mode you liked the play of?
I liked Cassie and Sonya but I like to use their body more instead of their gadgets like the drones they have. Also Sonya have some nice close quarters but you can't practice much the parries without setting up the ai and stuff which i didn't try much off. Also Cassie have some nice abilities like I loved the shoulder charge but the rest is not that appealing to me...

Mileena also has some nice abilities like playtime and isn't Sheeva too a like wrestler sort?

Yeah, I guess I want more of that like close quarters stuff...
I'm not sure about Sheeva as I don't play her. Mileena has some "close quarters" stuff, she has a command grab and a few grabs at the end of strings with Play Time. However she also throws her Sais a lot, which you said you're not too keen on.

I'm not sure about Sheeva as I don't play her. Mileena has some "close quarters" stuff, she has a command grab and a few grabs at the end of strings with Play Time. However she also throws her Sais a lot, which you said you're not too keen on.
Yeah, I guess I really like amplified specials you can say, also just finished some character tutorials, not all though.

Well actually I can ironically turn into zoner, natural punish player so yeah lmao.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So I'm a like a very new player just started less than a week back and kinda lost on what to do this point on.

I made some krypt progress and finished all tutorials except the character ones which I plan to do next.

I also did the tower tutorial and stuff but kinda get lost about which character to go with like i dunno "to main" in a way.

I'm not planning to go pvp yet but go do towers both time and classic as well as scale the difficulty of the games higher and feel more capable with a character before going in the pvp stuff.

The only problem is I can't decide on a character to go with, always trying them out on practice and see variations but never able to feel like it's the right one.

Maybe after the character tutorials I got a better picture or something...

What you guys say?

Edit 1: I also finished both stories too.
How much gameplay do you watch from other people?

Watching people who are good with different characters is a pretty good way to get ideas about how they work, and about what is most interesting to you.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Depends on what your end goals are. If you want to become a better player, the best way to do that is by playing other human opponents. Of course, really getting your character down in training mode as far as all the basics, BnB’s, execution, fundamentals, etc is super important. But in order to improve beyond that, it requires testing yourself and your character vs other players and characters.

One big thing a lot of players seem to be afraid of is losing. This is true for just about every casual, at the very least most of them. This also applies to hardcore competitive players as well. What takes a long time to understand is that losing is what helps you get better. If getting better at the game is at all an interest of yours, take a look at this article I made awhile ago. I’ve made a few edits here and there to make it more modern, but the vast majority of what I wrote was written a long time ago. Yet, it still hold true. https://testyourmight.com/threads/tips-on-becoming-a-better-player-part-1-how-losing-helps-you-get-better.3674/

Personally, I believe that even if this isn’t a goal of yours right now, or even if you don’t think it’ll ever be something you’re interested in, I still recommend reading it. Back when I was a casual player, I read something similar but way more in depth and longer, and it’s what made me realize that I wanted to get into gaming competitively. If you’re curious what that article is, I still have it bookmarked to this day, it’s the famous playing to win article/online book written by Sirlin. Again, if you don’t think it’d be something worth reading, I highly recommend reading it in your freetime when you get a chance: https://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

Hope any of this helps. I know you specifically said you weren’t looking to PvP yet, but like I said, even if you never want to play ANY video game competitively, I still think reading these articles will at least give you a perspective you might have never considered before.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
My own personal experience: the sooner you start playing PvP, the faster you'll learn and the more you'll have fun long term. Spending time in practice mode and working on things like BnBs, fundamentals like hit confirms, anti-airs, spacing, reversal timing, that's all important. But if you really want to improve and get the most enjoyment out of the game you simply need to play real matches.

I'm someone who's natural inclination is to not be competitive. I didn't get into fighting games until late in life, and I've always done the "I need to learn a character, play through story mode/arcade modes, spend time in training mode" thing. I felt like I needed to wait until I got to a certain level before playing ranked or casual. And what ended up happening is I just never felt comfortable enough playing against other people, and next thing you know I'd have gone 2-3 years barely playing PvP, and by then a new game was coming out.

I'm an intelligent person, and when it comes to technical knowledge about Raiden I feel pretty confident. I can tell you his his B&B's, discuss his frame data, strings, what I think his optimal strategy should be, what special moves are or are not good, what abilities might work well together. I can watch a video of gameplay and tell whether it's high level or not, give tips or pointers or other feedback, and discuss game mechanics. But when it comes to actual in game experience and credibility, I have very little.

I don't mean to soap box. I really enjoy fighting games, and learning a new game is all kinds of fun. But literally every fighting game I've every played my biggest regret is always that I spent too much time thinking about the game and not enough time playing it.

Last edited:
All playing against the AI does is reinforce bad behaviour.

Playing 10 years against the AI, then playing a human is the same as playing 1 hour against the AI and then against a human.

You'll get your shit kicked in, the only difference is the guy that has played CPU for 1 hour has no preconceived notion about what's going to happen, and hasn't taught himself to exploit weaknesses that do not exist in a human.

It's like painting on a clean canvas rather than having to paint a car over a tree.

The other way around is super easy though. People who play against humans grind out optimal combos, find solutions to moves in the form of punishes and understand better how the AI cheats you and how to exploit that.

Personally I play against the AI from time to time and am surprised about how much I stomp it into the ground just from learning how to play fighting games against other people.
Thing is the AI never pushes you to get better beyond the challenge that the AI offers you. I probably stomp 99% of the player population in the fighting games I play and still the 1% that are better than me motivate me to get better myself and among those 1% it's wild how big the skill difference among those people is.

Like I'm so far away from what a SonicFox, Punk, Daigo or whoever is doing, it's not even funny.

Last edited: