What's new

Ketchup v Mustard...ARMAGEDDON!

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
Let me tell you all a story. In 2006, a young Irish boy woke up on Christmas morning extra excited. He could barely contain himself because he knew that under the tree was waiting the ultimate denouement to his beloved Mortal Kombat, a game containing all the previous characters that promised to conclusively wrap up the expanding story and deepening mythology, setting up a whole new generation of Mortal Kombat. He had religiously avoided spoilers, knowing only the basic premise of the game and the roster and his expectations were sky high. He sat in front of the tree for two hours reading, waiting for the rest of the family to wake up so he could finally open it. The game's opening video and select screen were (and remain) absolutely hype. The rest of the game sucked and that boy learned something valuable that day, shaping him into a jaded, soulless cynic who believes hope, optimism and love is for suckers.

Myself and this game have issues, is what I'm saying.

The problems with Armageddon are manifest and manifold. From recycled gameplay, the awful execution of create-a-fatalities, create-a-fighter sucking, doing nothing to resolve the storyline besides throwing a bevy of shit at the wall, the half-assed Motor Kombat, the quarter-assed Air Kombat, the utterly appalling endings and a backstory so convoluted and dispersed among various tidbits and bios that it requires diligent study to piece together, it bears all the hallmarks of a game churned out by a team under incredible pressure, temporally and fiscally, at a dying studio.

It does, however, have a banging soundtrack....

....some awesome stages....

....and features really good versions,not only of Reiko, Fujin and Sareena, but also of goddamn Jarek

That axe? It's called the Kick-Axe. Yeah.

It's gained some fame (or perhaps infamy would be more apt) in the wider internet FG community for it's sheer jank and corniness, as well as being the exemplification of the problems with the 3d era gameplay wise, but also for the sheer balls of having 64 characters playable. It doesn't really approach MKvDC for corniness, jank or lack of quality but the few bright spots in MKvDC shine all the brighter (the template for NRS now signature story modes and a halfway house between 3d and the classic 2d MK would soon return to).

Recently, the absolute lads over in Leicester, Ketchup and Mustard, have been training some Armageddon (cos what else are you gonna do with MK right now) and embarked on the highest skill grudge matches in fighting game history. Actually, this might actually be the highest skill level ever seen in Armageddon for real. In any event, check it out for some nostalgia, to see how far we've come and to enjoy the most consistently enjoyable streamers in the community.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/305876174

Also, shout out to Mustard for recently covering one of my absolute childhood favourites, Def Jam Fight for NY in long form:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/303753457

As always, check back to TYM daily for all the latest news on Mortal Kombat, Injustice, the wider NRS scene and the role MK games have played in my latent personality defects.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Watching K&M play this game was fantastic. I never played it but it was so fun to watch! The salt produced from meat... wonderful.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Love seeing these guys give the game some attention. It's busted and jank as balls, but damn can it also he fun. There's actually quite a bit of stuff to know about the engine, too.

also shout outs to the news editor staff!
you guys 're doing a pretty good job since you started as a news editor! especially now its not easy, we have an difficult time on tym and as long as mk11 does not come out it will not change.

good shit guys! <3

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
As much fun as this game was, I think I enjoyed Deception and Deadly Alliance more though I did love rocking everyone with Fujin and Ermac in MK A. Like MVC2, broken MKA was but could be a ton of fun.

i never cared nor played mk armageddon.
at that time i was playing fgc maingames like 3s and cvs2.
of course umk3 and mk2 too in addition.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
good shit!
nice to see them playing it!

one side note:
we have here on tym several og,s lifetime dedicated classic mk players like @ded among others. would not it be cool to also promote the real classic mk players sometimes too? is just a thought ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/dedkmk/videos?disable_polymer=1

@Charybdis @HellblazerHawkman
Absolutely, if you (or literally anyone) sees something cool that other NRS peeps should see, just tag/message me or Charybdis. I get a few messages on Twitter or FB now and then, but we are literally always looking for more stuff

If I don’t get a deadly alliance remaster for PlayStation 4 I’m going to be a sad clown

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Love seeing these guys give the game some attention. It's busted and jank as balls, but damn can it also he fun. There's actually quite a bit of stuff to know about the engine, too.
Jank it was, but with friends i always enjoyed it. Broke as fuck is another word lol