What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Kenshi Wishlist Discussion

learis1

Guardian Cadet
So as it stands Kenshi feels weak. But that's okay. Let's discuss what his weaknesses are and what we would like him to have in order to play how we would like him to play.

I'll start off. I only play possessed, but my opinions also focus on his universal strings and normals as well.

Normals:
He's got some pecularities with the slowness of certain normals.

- standing 1: When looking at the frame data, all his fastest standing normals are the same speed of eleven frames. That's kind of slow, and it makes no sense that his fastest high starts off just as slow as his fastest mid. I'd like for his standing 1 to be made quicker, just to help him out in scramble situations and quick-needed punishes.

Meterless Damage:
So far in possessed his meterless dmg is very low, can't speak for the other two.

- Juggle strings: My proposed solution is to either make his 3223 string or his 114 run cancellable on hit similar to how Erron's 112 string is. Run canceling would allow for a juggle followup since these strings pop up. This would give him more dmg, and it's not like these strings are mixups so I don't see it as being overpowered.

Safety:
Possessed has some very unsafe moves, but I only would like a couple tweaked. I get the feeling his other variations feel the same.

- f4: For the amount of startup it has, his possessed f4 should be safe enough on block to where it can't be punished full range from a sub-zero or reptile slide. It can definitely still be negative, but not extremely negative like it currently is.

- mb demon slam: I'd like for his meter burn demon slam (db4) to be safe. It's his only means of opening people up for good damage in possessed, and for taking the gamble and spending the meter the punishment risk is really bad. I'm not saying to make it plus, just make it safe.

----------

That's it! Those are all the buffs I feel strongly about. Even with them, I feel like he would still have a lot of trouble against much of the cast. But it's just a start and I haven't played him long enough to feel comfortable suggesting other buffs.

So what are you guys' propositions?

Might still be a little too early to start compiling lists of balance changes people want to see in upcoming patches. Sorry if this comment irks anybody the wrong way...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I haven't picked possessed yet, however i picked Kenjutsu.

And there is no reason to play Kenjutsu when his main juggle tools is so hard to connect, doesn't have a way to extend his meterless damage.

Overall your execution has to be on point to play kenjutsu meterless, and any other character in the game has more far easy and damaging combos, while you have to rely on hitting d1 everytime you hit a rk for no fucking damage at all.

Long Story short, Kenjutsu variationn is not pratical for tournaments, character has probably the highest drop factor in the game, and he relies too much on meter to play.

Pretty sure other Kenshi players would agree with me, that the concept is cool, but needs to be tweaked. DB4 should give better juggle opportunity meterless since DB1 is already a crap meterless juggle.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Okay so after experimenting with balanced, I see it plays very similarly to possessed except much better. And by that I mean he actually gets good meterless dmg thanks to using his rising karma in his strings which pops up and allows for run in juggle opportunities. Possessed suffers greatly from not having anything like this. It seems like Kenjutsu has a similar issue.

I think balanced isn't so bad actually, and I'm curious to see what others have to say about that particular variation.

Edit: I made a big mistake in thinking his groundbounce 44 is an overhead. It's not and because of it Kenshi has no way of really mixing someone up for good damage. All his variations suffer because of this.

I don't know if it would be overpowered or not, but maybe 44 should be an overhead.

Last edited:

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Okay so after experimenting with balanced, I see it plays very similarly to possessed except much better. And by that I mean he actually gets good meterless dmg thanks to using his rising karma in his strings which pops up and allows for run in juggle opportunities. Possessed suffers greatly from not having anything like this. It seems like Kenjutsu has a similar issue.

I think balanced isn't so bad actually, and I'm curious to see what others have to say about that particular variation.
he is equally as bad but in different ways, he has no overheads other than at the end of some of his really predictable strings, and his keepaway game, the ONLY THING HE HAS sucks nuts, it is insanely punishable by half the cast full screen and the rest at mid screen.

There are similarities between the two, but I feel like you can be a little more aggressive in the possessed variant due to the teleport and his BF3 with meter brings the opponent close to you. I mostly use Balance, but I like Possessed as well.

But the problem with these two variants that they both share (heck, all three variants really) is that the moves are unsafe. I'd like to see some changes to make them a little less punishable.

and that's just moves that's unsafe... we can go on about no good 50/50s, mix ups, etc.

Lambro

Using that OTHER green guy
My top 3 things I want for a more enjoyable Kenshi playing experience:

1- Overhead Combo Starter String
2- 8 Frame Combo Starter String
3- Slight Frame advantage on landing 22.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'll condense this:

- His normals should be bad...
- So his zoning should be good (e.g. not punishable from across the fucking screen re: effective zoning range)

The end.