What's new

Kenshi Saturation/Bandwagon Post-EVO?

CamRac

Noob
I've had some pretty interesting discussions with players about this lately, and while I feel like there's a possibility of one, I still feel like Kenshi is too bizarre/relient on patient play and reads to get a proper jump. What do you guys think?

GhosT

Noob
I don't know. I don't see why he takes more fundamental skill. My fundamentals aren't great and I had a fairly easy time with it. Im not sure how much he will blow up though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk

CamRac

Noob
I don't know. I don't see why he takes more fundamental skill. My fundamentals aren't great and I had a fairly easy time with it. Im not sure how much he will blow up though

Reworded for clarity. I meant fundamentals as far as zoning goes.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

A lot of people think Kenshi is easy to play because they can pick him up and zone someone who doesn't know how to fight him. But just like any character, once people have a good way to fight against you, you have to have the skill to continue with him.

Eventually people exploit things like:
weakness on crossup with no meter
all specials keep him standing in one place
hit box so big he can't duck under most attacks

There's only been a kenshi in top 8 twice in nearly a year since his release. It's because you can't just play him with low skill on the highest level.

A lot of people think Kenshi is easy to play because they can pick him up and zone someone who doesn't know how to fight him. But just like any character, once people have a good way to fight against you, you have to have the skill to continue with him.

There's only been a kenshi in top 8 twice in nearly a year since his release. It's because you can't just play him with low skill on the highest level.
I feel the same way with Cage. People say Kenshi and Cage are easy to play, or even braindead. This is not the case on a high level. You have to have solid footsies and reading ability to play Cage well at that level.

This is effectively what I said, but with less details. Pocket Kenshi is not a thing in high level play.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Agreed. It's the same with pretty much any character, though.

I play Cyrax who gets a lot of flack for those big resets, but you rarely even land them at high level. Kitana's zoning isn't as menacing as it once was and players have pretty much completely dissected Mileena at this point.

I think the same will be true of Kenshi before long. Good, solid character. No doubt about that. But once people start to figure him out, I see a LOT of dropped Kenshi's in the future lol.

Edit: Grolarbears: Every time I see your avvy, I do an internal "D'aaaawwwwwwwwww"

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Kenshi is not an automatic win button. He has problems like any character, Pig's Kenshi is flat out scary though.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Agreed. It's the same with pretty much any character, though.

I play Cyrax who gets a lot of flack for those big resets, but you rarely even land them at high level. Kitana's zoning isn't as menacing as it once was and players have pretty much completely dissected Mileena at this point.

I think the same will be true of Kenshi before long. Good, solid character. No doubt about that. But once people start to figure him out, I see a LOT of dropped Kenshi's in the future lol.

Edit: Grolarbears: Every time I see your avvy, I do an internal "D'aaaawwwwwwwwww"
Even when people figure that character out he will still be very dangerous. I don't see him ever leaving the top 3 of any tier list. Best zoning in the game, good meter building, and an 8 frame GTFO move. Armor all over the place. Solid damage, good wall carry on his combos and a sick corner game. There is no getting around how good that character actually is. Fight a good Kenshi offline regularly and you see that while he isn't broken or anything he is a cut above the majority of the cast. If I'm wrong and someone can dissect Kenshi and give a reliable way to blow up that character consistantly I will change my mind but not until then.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Even when people figure that character out he will still be very dangerous. I don't see him ever leaving the top 3 of any tier list. Best zoning in the game, good meter building, and an 8 frame GTFO move. Armor all over the place. Solid damage, good wall carry on his combos and a sick corner game. There is no getting around how good that character actually is. Fight a good Kenshi offline regularly and you see that while he isn't broken or anything he is a cut above the majority of the cast. If I'm wrong and someone can dissect Kenshi and give a reliable way to blow up that character consistantly I will change my mind but not until then.
Yeah, there's no doubt he's one of the best in the game.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Don't misunderstand.
I think Kenshi is VERY good. And I DO agree that he's one of the best characters ... but a quick search of the boards will show VERY similar topics and posts about Mileena a little while ago. Actually, keep looking. There was a wave of Shang Tsung, Smoke, and Jax, too.

I'm not saying I think he's overrated. I'm just curious to see how it all plays out.

I agree. Imo he's easy to pick up and play around with but it takes some work to get him tourney viable.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

Ur not making it easy on me as of late. Thanks for thinking my kenshis good tho.
Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

GhosT

Noob

Yeah, i still think there are plenty of characters that fit that mold. and kenshi is just one of them.

And yes of course you need skill to play top players and win with any character. IM not arguing that, but i do think kenshi has it easier than some of the cast as far as what kind of skill and devotion you need to be able to succeed with them.