What's new

General/Other - Possessed Kenshi Possessed Variation Discussion

learis1

Guardian Cadet
So I'm completely new to Kenshi and this variation interests me the most, mainly because the demon stuff looks so cool! Other character sections have threads dedicated to particular variations. I thought I'd make this thread to discuss in general about this variation's strengths, weaknesses, and gameplay strategies.

As a starting question, how exactly are you supposed to play this variation? It seems like it's meant for range. But should you be trying to condition your opponent to do certain things? Are there particular strategies to open your opponent up to cause good damage in this variation?

lol wtf are you doing scrublord? Every kharacter besides quan and kung gin is unviable so why waste your time lmaorofl #goml have fun handicapping yourself

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Dudley who are you even to call someone a scrub? Trolling or not. This guy is asking for legit advice.

@learis1 Kenshi Possessed seems mostly about spacing and mixups with his teleport, low, etc. I don't play the character anymore, but one of his glaring weaknesses is that he is very negative on block, allowing most of the cast to punish basically every special move.
You'll have to be on point with spacing and keeping the right range if you want to win.
I would tag Pig, but i feel like he's had enough grief with the character and explaining things for now.

Dudley who are you even to call someone a scrub? Trolling or not. This guy is asking for legit advice.

@learis1 Kenshi Possessed seems mostly about spacing and mixups with his teleport, low, etc. I don't play the character anymore, but one of his glaring weaknesses is that he is very negative on block, allowing most of the cast to punish basically every special move.
You'll have to be on point with spacing and keeping the right range if you want to win.
I would tag Pig, but i feel like he's had enough grief with the character and explaining things for now.
Dont take it personal man. These crying for nerf threads and all this preaching about unviability 2 weeks in are really getting to me. And im offended that you think i was serious with the scrub comment when ive never beaten anyone on this site in a ft10

APOLOGIZE

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Dont take it personal man. These crying for nerf threads and all this preaching about unviability 2 weeks in are really getting to me. And im offended that you think i was serious with the scrub comment when ive never beaten anyone on this site in a ft10

APOLOGIZE
This was nowhere near a crying for nerf or buffs thread. Nor about him being unviable. :coffee:

This was nowhere near a crying for nerf or buffs thread. Nor about him being unviable. :coffee:
Obviously...which is why said jokingly that all charachters besides quan and kung jin were unviable...honestly im done defending myself against your stupid ass. If you can't Distinguish Sarcasm that's not my fucking problem.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Obviously...which is why said jokingly that all charachters besides quan and kung jin were unviable...honestly im done defending myself against your stupid ass. If you can't Distinguish Sarcasm that's not my fucking problem.
Lol someone got angry quick. And yeah, I did "distinguish" your sarcasm when I said "trolling or not". You were defending yourself? I wasn't even attacking. You must be a weak minded person. Now stop derailing this thread. If you've got a problem PM me.

Lol someone got angry quick. And yeah, I did "distinguish" your sarcasm when I said "trolling or not". You were defending yourself? I wasn't even attacking. You must be a weak minded person. Now stop derailing this thread. If you've got a problem PM me.
Ugh i don't fucking care. If you want legit gameplay discussion you're on the wrong site.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Some people just rather be sarcastic and troll than give advice.
But anyway. You'll have to work pretty hard to win with Kenshi
Yea, that seems to be the concensus in Pig's "Kenshi Stinks" thread. Oh well, balancing will eventually get done and he'll probably get some buffs if he's that bad. I went to training mode with possessed Kenshi and his gameplan seems pretty straight forward with his zoning tools. But you're definitely right about how negative he is on some of his specials. He's got some basic mixup options with his overhead demon slice and his low string, but it's pennies worth of damage. His demon push if spaced enough can safely be done to bother the opponent, but again it's only 5% dmg on hit. So yeah, I'd say possessed Kenshi has it rough.

hi guys,

last time i touched a fighter was a year ago. it was injustice and now when i block i press back lol. need to relearn pressing the block button.

anyway, was wondering how you deal with pressure as possessed kenshi? and what's the best thing to do when you're knocked down on the ground? all his specials are slow for wake ups no?

also, im trying to get used to 2,2 demon beam (the teleport move) to reset the opponent. would you guys say that's a good strategy, or it's too slow of a move and gives the opponent time to react?

hi guys,

last time i touched a fighter was a year ago. it was injustice and now when i block i press back lol. need to relearn pressing the block button.

anyway, was wondering how you deal with pressure as possessed kenshi? and what's the best thing to do when you're knocked down on the ground? all his specials are slow for wake ups no?

also, im trying to get used to 2,2 demon beam (the teleport move) to reset the opponent. would you guys say that's a good strategy, or it's too slow of a move and gives the opponent time to react?
Your best bet is to armor db1 (rising karma) sets them full screen and you can hit confirm with his bf3 special

hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that i have uploaded a guide for the kenshi and his possessed variation....now im no pro but i wanted to give back to the community in some way. so if you feel there is any wrong information in the video please let me know so i can make an annotation or edit the video and re upload it. hope you guys enjoy!!

I think a lot of the possessed gameplay is going to revolve around safe-ish strings and mixups when your opponent comes in and then more mixups with db2, db4 and bf3 when you get the opponent away.

Cancelling strings into df4 on block gives enough pushback to make them relatively safe plus it nets you an overhead. when your opponent starts respecting it you can mix it up with db4 or exdb4 for a low option. You can also confirm into exdb4 for a full combo, fb3 for damage and knockdown or db1/bf2 to knock the opponent away.
The best string for pressure seems to be 421. 4, 42 and 421 are all 0 on block, allowing you to mix up the timing for your pressure, plus it is relatively easy to confirm, has good start up and has decent range. 441 can be very useful too.
Canceling a string into df4 puts them at jump distance so they are a good range to use your d4 or b1 into specials.
You can also cancel teleports or do the b32 starter after the neutral hits to further mix your opponent up.

Teleport is nice utility in general too. Of course you can do tp to njp to start a combo but it's unsafe and anyone can easily aa you out of it - save it for whiff punishes.
The njk, however, has some interesting options for mix ups:
If you hit your opponent as early as possible then you can be punished with a reversal but it is incredibly hard to aa, however delaying the njk (so you hit somewhere around the opponent's knee) will give you a frame advantage and allow you to follow up with a d4xxspecial or b1xxspecial, or alternatively you can read an approach and stuff it with 1, d1, d2 or 4.

General strategy is to keep the opponent at around fullscreen and mix them up with the teleport and teleflurry, and when they do get in, use safe strings and cancel specials for footsies and punishing to get them away or get them back on the ground. Watch out for wake-ups as some of them will tear right through your options. Save your meter for combos and exdb1 for wake-ups.

after some more playing it looks like tele is pretty unsafe because the opponent can uppercut you out of it on reaction if they're not already doing something, this means that it can only really be safely used on knocked down opponents, still very nice for keeping up pressure though.

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot
Can anyone confirm if the EXTELE is useless or not. As it stands right now it seems so

ex tele is useful. The armor on the way up allows you to armor through the opponent's strings or ranged attacks (only if they use their ranged attacks very close or have a lot of recovery frames) for a full combo punish. Only ever use it when your opponent is trying to do something and avoid using it if they like to do strings that walk forward a lot or your attacks will whiff.

ok so there are a few options to 'safely' teleport. I usually like to teleport when the opponent is down, if you sync it up with their wake up then they can't move out of the way but they might use a wake up attack which beats it, so in that case you can mix it up by delaying the teleport to hit slightly after the wake up window. This will cause the opponent to either wait and not get the chance to wake up (still making it difficult to prepare an anti-air or dash back) or use their wake up attack anyway. Many wake up attacks will whiff if you time it right and then you get a free njp for full combo punish.
The other ways to 'safely' teleport are by canceling strings. The most useful moves to cancel are b1 and 421. They will not beat out armored reversals but they can beat out some anti-air specials with a swift njk. (only tested against kitana and kung lao). Once your opponent respects this you must use njp instead (njk will whiff if they aren't attacking, if it does just d1xxdf4) which will give you frame advantage. you can repeat the strings once you land. Here's a flow chart for the block string to teleport, showing how it works.

footsies

in range of b1 reading block/in range of 4 with plus frames--> b1/421xxdb2
read armored special -- b1/421xxdf4 - back to footsies

after teleport

read anti-air--> njk, hard knockdown - back to footsies
read block--> njp

after njp

read poke--> d4xxspecial - back to footsies or combo
read block--> b1xxdb2 - back to teleport
(if your opponent has a tendency to use fast standing normals then use 421 instead of b1, it will beat out most normals but it willgo over crouching opponents)
read armored reversal-->block

best pokes to use: f4, b1, f2, d4, b3, d1 in descending order of range and ascending order of speed. At any time you want to use the fastest one that will hit your opponent, canceling pokes into df4 will make them safe on block, (d1 can be interrupted though), alternatively canceling into db1 will still be safe on the longer pokes and will result in a knockdown on hit (it's not that unsafe on the close pokes either). you can mix up df4 with db4 or exdb4 for a knockdown or a combo if they aren't blocking low, granting you a 50/50 on block with most pokes (some can be amored through). From fullscreen you can pressure with bf3, db4 and teleport.

You can also begin blockstrings with 421 (preferably after a non-canceled d1 on hit) which leaves you 0 on block with each hit, so you can mix up 4, 42 and 421 which all leave you in d4 range, plus 4 and 421 leave you in b3 range too, or you can cancel at any point with specials for another high/low mixup or you can go for the teleport for some shenanigans.

Kenshi has a fantastic range of safe pokes to use which all do decent damage on chip (especially b1), plus you can cancel them all into db4 instead for a great mixup. Suck it balanced.

The problem with Kenshi's teleport is that the neutral jump punch will not come out and connect once you are about 2/3 through the falling part of the teleport. This means that there are a number of frames where your opponent can freely start to press buttons and you've pretty much got to hold that. Kenshi's teleport is whack and should not be used in pressure, only off of random footsie d4's if you really insist on using it that way... but why d4 if you can just barge or RK, everyone's blocking low for free anyways because there's no reason for them to fear the overhead. Maybe run xx instant grab is your only bet here I guess, meh

the only time you should really be using it is to blow up zoning on a pretty hefty read, and if you fuck up enjoy being negative on block directly in the opponent's face with nearly no pushback, you are exactly in kenshi's weakest spot in this variation and you are going to get wrecked

Just pick Kuh-Bawlng-Jin or Kuh-Bawlie-Cage or Kuh-Beerzo

So you're saying you can't do an empty teleport? I never suggested empty teleport because it's so punishable, you have to use njp or njk quickly to make sure you at least hit them. Teleport is also fantastic to use slightly delayed on the opponent's wake up, I suggest you try it.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
So here's the main combos I'm using. Not necessarily optimal dmg, but easy enough to execute.

midscreen
For punishing
43, ex db4, 43 bf3. 34% 1 bar

off low string
b3 2, ex db4, 43 bf3. 34% 1 bar

off njp (either done on its own or through his teleport)
njp, f32, ex db4, 43, bf3. 36% 1 bar

corner

off low string:
b3 2, ex db4, njp, 43, bf3. 36% 1 bar

air to air
Assuming you beat someone in the air with a diagonal jumping punch
When you land, immediately do ex db4 to catch them as they fall, then 43, bf3. 28% from what would normally be 5%.

Last edited:

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
With tele being easy to react to, I really feel armor on db4 would be useful in opening people up (especially on wake up). Also, landing a Demon Slice should have more advantage or a quicker recovery on hit to allow for pressure and mix ups.

the one thing that really bugs me about this variation is the fact that the demon is suppose to be an apparition or ghost or whatever of an ancestor if im not mistaken so why does he have to use his mind to control it....hes suppose to be possessed......so for the demon to disappear when you get hit is shitty in my opinion, especially demon slam, its pretty much a projectile........this is just my opinion and the demons should not disappear when you get hit.....there are many other things i think that can change to make him better but i plan on making a video about it for my youtube channel.