What's new

General/Other - Kenjutsu Kenshi Kenjutsu Variation Discussion

Welcome to the Kenjutsu Discussion Thread

Somebody posted this combo:

~40% for 1 bar in the corner is decent, but the best part is that you can cancel b3, f2, or 421 into the exdf1 for a low, overhead and safe confirm respectively (you have to take a tiny step forward for the b3 - I input it as fb3 as if it were a special and that does the trick).
You can also use a raw ex db4 and jump in, f3 for max combo damage.

If you are trapped in the corner, you can exdb4, ji2, 22xxexdf1 or raw 22xxexdf1, putting your opponent in the corner and still doing the full damage.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
He's just so meter dependant and so punishable. Good rush down chars give him trouble (e.g. Cassie).

learis1

Guardian Cadet
so this variation is kind of interesting, but still feels very rough.
You've got a 50/50 mixup with his f2 or b3 cancelled into rising sword. Then you have the smallest gap possible to connect either a crouch 1 into special or just a crouch 2 (uppercut). The issue is that if you do his f2 xx rising sword from max range, you have no choice but to use the crouch 1 b/c the crouch 2 will whiff. I didn't think frames would matter that much but this float gap is so minuscule that it literally feels like a SF4 1 or 2 frame link.

So the damage with this meterless 50/50 so far is in the low to mid 20's%. It's not that bad for a meterless 50/50, but rising sword is -11 and leaves you at point blank range on block which is a really bad position to be in. Tack on to this that he loses all his semi decent zoning abilities, and I'd say this variation definitely has it rough. Tough break.

In the future I'd like his rising sword to pop up a little bit higher and to have a little more pushback or be a little safer on block.

Also, what the hell is up with meter burn spinning blade. It's like all you can do afterward midscreen is run up and do what rising sword does for free. For spending the meter he should be given better opportunity off this to get more damage.

Last edited:
well off mb spinning blade you can b1xxspecial for a bit more damage and an easier connection than rising sword. I tend to avoid using meter for combos though because it's not worth it. I just stick with the 20-25% from mixups or confirmed 421 string. Otherwise there's the corner combo above, honestly Kenjutsu's damage output is pretty shit.

I was hoping his sword strings (311, 322, 111) would offer some good space coverage but they are too slow to whiff even one hit of the string without getting blown up. Best they offer is a 50/50 knockdown for 311/31df1.

they should of made it so you can combo after the spinning blade easier. hopefully they fix it to where it has a higher pop up and not as far as a knock back as it had .

Grashi

Noob
From my findings. I don't know if this is a glitch or not but his 111 is -11 on hit.

I would really like to see some of his variation specific combos or specials allow for more combo damage or even hits in general. I'm working on a few combos that I will take out of the brainstorming phase when I get home a little later tonight (might even post my findings)

But I'm with you guys! I'm in this variation till the end! Or at least till Tanya comes out.

111 is absolutely - frames on hit, possibly the worst string in the game, always do 11 instead unless you can definitely special cancel it

I play this variation on occasion only because i thing his moves are cool. Thats one of the reasons i play fighting games, to do cool things.

That being said this variation is pretty terrible. I will go in the training room and almost immediately become avgrevated because of rising karma ans ex spinning blade. Hopefully NRS will address this in future patches.

I'm finding the same things as other people, but I also think I found combo I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else.

b1 xx EXdf1, run, throw.

The timing is really tight and can only land it in may be one in ten attempts, but its an 11 hit 30% combo that can be done mid screen.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
-What do you think about Ji1(the jump-blade)? Do you use it as a jump in or you prefer the Ji2? Is Ji1 better air to ir than JiK?
-Also what do you use as wake up armor? The ENDB1 or the ENDB4?
Thanks

I always use ji1 air to air, it has great range, a disjointed hitbox and you can combo it into b1xxspecial from a forward jump or straight into a special from a backwards jump, allowing you to move them to the nearest corner with bf3 or bf2 along with decent damage. I also use it to cover space a lot by jumping back as the opponent approaches (but don't get too predictable, even jumping forwards occasionally is enough to mix it up). ji2 I would use specifically for jump ins as it comes out faster and has more hitstun and blockstun.
For wake up armor I would usually use exdb4, it lets you follow with ji2, b1xxdb1, d2 for good damage or f32xxbf3/bf2 to put your opponent in the corner. DB4 is horribly unsafe on block and can be jumped over so db1, df1 and bf2 are slightly better if you don't know what to expect, but in those situations I would opt to block instead. Meter conservation is absolutely essential as Kenjutsu in order to get damage, so I wouldn't waste it on exdb1 or bf2 generally.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Shitty ass variation with hair pulling execution for minimal reward should have stayed in the graveyard of threads.

Kenjutsu in the MKXL beta is really fucking good right now, especially in regards to footsies and his damage scaling being seemingly fixed combo wise. Also f2bf2 at max range is completely safe and unpunishable on block I think except only by 6f forward moving reversals.