What's new

Match Footage - Cyber Sub-Zero Kenny from Yo Videogames

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
You played decently, though your Cyber Sub is a lot like mine: Lots of unnecessary unsafe slides.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Kenny is just barely above casual simply because he doesn't have the time to dedicate to the game to get really good. So you're gonna get away with a lot against him compared to people who know so take some of this with a grain of salt.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Some of these comments seem a little harsh. Try to see them for what they're worth, it's all constructive in some way. It's also difficult to say Kenny is barely above casual considering his rank online... I'm not saying he's good, but I'm not saying he's awful either.

It's hard to criticize whiffing slide when it works. You used it well when Kenny went airborne, reading the air sai. Other places, such as in combos or even in neutral, I'd urge you to explore f2 instead. Considering the MU, it sounds risky since Mileena can low profile with roll. Still, it might be better to end combos with f43 xx CDK, f2 rather than with f43 xx CDK, slide.

Other obvious stuff I'm sure you can point out for yourself, conversions and combo execution. Meter management was great btw. I noticed you'd often break at the point where Kenny used meter as well, kind of cutting your own meter losses.

Keep in mind, CSZ is supposed to be an explosive, risk heavy character. He almost thrives on being random.

Some of these comments seem a little harsh. Try to see them for what they're worth, it's all constructive in some way. It's also difficult to say Kenny is barely above casual considering his rank online... I'm not saying he's good, but I'm not saying he's awful either.

It's hard to criticize whiffing slide when it works. You used it well when Kenny went airborne, reading the air sai. Other places, such as in combos or even in neutral, I'd urge you to explore f2 instead. Considering the MU, it sounds risky since Mileena can low profile with roll. Still, it might be better to end combos with f43 xx CDK, f2 rather than with f43 xx CDK, slide.

Other obvious stuff I'm sure you can point out for yourself, conversions and combo execution. Meter management was great btw. I noticed you'd often break at the point where Kenny used meter as well, kind of cutting your own meter losses.

Keep in mind, CSZ is supposed to be an explosive, risk heavy character. He almost thrives on being random.
Thank you
Mainly I use the slide to close back in, pretty much saying "I'm not afraid to get up in your face, Mileena". Also, I don't end with F2 after the f43 xx CDK because I prefer being mid range. Doesn't the slide knock them down for a longer time too? I'm not entirely sure

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Thank you
Mainly I use the slide to close back in, pretty much saying "I'm not afraid to get up in your face, Mileena". Also, I don't end with F2 after the f43 xx CDK because I prefer being mid range. Doesn't the slide knock them down for a longer time too? I'm not entirely sure
You should absolutely whiff slide to get in. Mobility is one of CSZ's best attributes. If opponents aren't going to/ can't punish a blocked slide (or refuse to block it), by all means abuse it.

Whether or not mid range is a good place to be vs. Mileena is a different discussion, but I will say she's susceptible to our corner bomb set-ups, and those tend to end in f2.

Slide cause a hard knock down (no tech roll), f2 causes a splat (where tech roll actually CSZ's advantage). An airborne f2 does have more hit advantage than slide and can set the stage for CSZ's zoning if that's what the MU calls for. What slide does do is allow for a safe jump in punch vs. 10f wake-ups or slower. I find that pretty useful for continuing pressure midscreen.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Nothing against Kenny. I've just played him quite a few times at this point and he's a good player. His fundamentals are good and he plays the game well. It's just fundamentals can only get you so far in MKX when people start pulling out dirt like HTBs and frame traps. Maybe calling him barely above casual is the wrong term but I couldn't think of another term for it at the moment.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Nothing against Kenny. I've just played him quite a few times at this point and he's a good player. His fundamentals are good and he plays the game well. It's just fundamentals can only get you so far in MKX when people start pulling out dirt like HTBs and frame traps. Maybe calling him barely above casual is the wrong term but I couldn't think of another term for it at the moment.
I mean he's just gonna have to prove it in a ft13 grudge match with you.

I mean unless he's scared:DOGE

You should absolutely whiff slide to get in. Mobility is one of CSZ's best attributes. If opponents aren't going to/ can't punish a blocked slide (or refuse to block it), by all means abuse it.

Whether or not mid range is a good place to be vs. Mileena is a different discussion, but I will say she's susceptible to our corner bomb set-ups, and those tend to end in f2.

Slide cause a hard knock down (no tech roll), f2 causes a splat (where tech roll actually CSZ's advantage). An airborne f2 does have more hit advantage than slide and can set the stage for CSZ's zoning if that's what the MU calls for. What slide does do is allow for a safe jump in punch vs. 10f wake-ups or slower. I find that pretty useful for continuing pressure midscreen.
Pardon my ignorance, but why is the splat more of his advantage?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Pardon my ignorance, but why is the splat more of his advantage?
Normally, tech rolling sort of "cancels" or speeds up the recovery and standing animation from soft knock downs. In that tech roll animation, the game will take wake-up inputs earlier than if you were to stand up normally/ neutrally without tech rolling.

The "splat" knock down's recovery cannot be cancelled or shortened by tech roll, but the option is still there. The tech roll here, if it's input at all, occurs after the full splat animation has run its course. In these cases, the time it takes to tech roll deepens the hit advantage of the splat.

Also, f2 being a normal can hit "meaty," later on in its active frames and have varying degrees of recovery relative to the opponent. Slide, although causing an HKD, is a special move and has a constant, built in recovery upon making contact with an opponent.

TL; DR - It's an additional animation instead of a substitute animation.