What's new

Keeping a mental note of the Meter in fighting games.

Vagrant

Noob
Hey guys,

So before MKX, to improve myself as a player I want to start developing some better awareness during matches. This ranges from myself/opponent habbits after common scenarios, to where my eyes are focused during various situations, to more specific aspects like how much meter each player has.

My question to you TYMers is: For those of you who feel you keep decent track of the meter game during matches, when are looking at your opponents meter?

During a combo?
After a knockdown?
Are you able to just mentally keep track of where their meter will be based on what moves they've done so far?

I don't have a set plan for meter awareness and I just kind of check randomly. A lot of times I find I planned an attack that didn't take into account how much meter my opponent has, and it can potentially get me blown up.

So I'd like to hear your mental habbits for keeping an eye on meter.

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
In every game I've ever played, I always have more meter than my opponent because either A) my character doesn't use meter (Wonder Woman) or B) My character builds meter the fastest in the game (Rose).

then you have to look at meter relative to your health and know your options in every situation you have. There's always a point in neural that neither player will be the agressor if both players are good enough. Block low and look.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Its second nature to me, I cant explain how but im always very aware of my meter and my opponents meter too.

Im also very good at meter management. My opponents usually have less meter than I do. I dont just use ex moves just to see if it hits, alwsys try hit confirming!

E

Eldriken

During a combo, walking back mid to full screen, during pressure and other various things.

Since I play Doomsday, I've always got to keep an eye on my meter since he's so dependent on it.

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.
if I know I'm going to have to block some zoning, I usually just hold down and look (or back if opponent has OH zoning) . Like a lot of people said 3/4 screen where I'm relatively safe to peek. I always make sure to check meter at the end of a round (in MK9) or of a health bar (IGAU). If I'm being combo'ed sometimes I'll peek. Long block strings (Like trident rush) if I'm zoning heavy (doing instant air fans with Kitana) or being zoned heavy (being gas blasted by Kabal). And at the start of a match I try and keep track of first hit and meter being used.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
This question makes no sense to me.

All I look at when I'm playing someone is their character because I use my peripherials to watch my own character and I know exactly where I am on screen. All I do is look down lol. It MAYBE takes an 1/8 of a second to look at my opponents meter.

Scoring a knockdown, during a combo, when I'm getting combo'd, walking back, or when zoning I check my opponents meter. Against character's like doomsday it's pretty much a must haha

Vagrant

Noob
This question makes no sense to me.

All I look at when I'm playing someone is their character because I use my peripherials to watch my own character and I know exactly where I am on screen. All I do is look down lol. It MAYBE takes an 1/8 of a second to look at my opponents meter.
1/8 of a second is significant in a fighting game. That's beside the point though.

It's not, are you able to look at the meter.
It's about the routine. How do i keep consistent tabs on it while mentally juggling everything else going on and not miss a beat on anything else I'm focusing on.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I never really payed attention to when I'm looking at their meter or mine. I usually just glance at that shit whenever, during combos, full screen zoning wars, ect. I always am aware of meter. Never really put too much thought into it. Like someone else said, it comes second nature now.

1/8 of a second is significant in a fighting game. That's beside the point though.

It's not, are you able to look at the meter.
It's about the routine. How do i keep consistent tabs on it while mentally juggling everything else going on and not miss a beat on anything else I'm focusing on.
I look at it quickly during the match. Or I'll have like checkpoints in the match.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
Im always using my peripheral vision to keep track of both my meter and my opponents meter. Even in footsies & combis im always keeping track of meter with my peripheral vision

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I only look when getting zoned out after blocking a projectile.

Otherwise I don't. Probably why I always get hit with random supers.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I'm a quan main so I pay attention to mine AND my opponents meter. If they are doing a combo and I know I wanna break it I'll wait for them to use a bar first then break(health permitting). But as far as when I look? Not as often as you'd think. Only while I'm breathing