What's new

Kano's Ripper Matchup Chart Post-Patch-1.10 (with new mid)

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
This might just be my opinion, it might just be what I think currently, and it might just be for Ripper (Ratbag might be slightly better or slightly worse), but either way, Kano players REJOICE!!!

NOW:
(ordered)

If anyone is wondering about the Terminator matchup being in Kano's favor, I suspect that this will be the case because Kano out-footsies Terminator pretty heavily thanks to his Air-Ball, F1, B4, and B3. Kano has more opportunities to start his offense/oki-pressure due to this and he generally controls the pace of the battle vs him.

Losing matchups: 6
Even matchups: 13
Winning matchups: 7

BEFORE:
(ordered)

Losing matchups: 17
Even matchups: 7
Winning matchups: 1

KANO WAS OFFICIALLY ADDED TO THE GAME!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think Ratbag is definitely the way to go. We can now confirm like most strings into a full combo and that is just surreal. KANO CAN PLAY MK11.

I fought Tiddy's Jax last night and I was having a hard time, always getting really close but just falling short of winning a match. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but it feels like a hard MU.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
After a few long sets with different Kitana's (new variation), I'm moving Kitana to one of Kano's bad matchups. She really dominates the neutral vs him and has way more opportunities to initiate and do damage vs him.

xKMMx

Banned
How do yall think Kano is that bad. Maybe its that I have never labbed the matchup / that I lose to most Kanos out of pure frustration because of the yoloness of the way he is played but he is one of my worst matchups lol.

kcd117

Noob
Ratbag defnitely plays MK11 better imo. But the simple fact that Kano now has some place in the meta is amazing lol I can finally play him again.

With that said, I think that current Kano goes even with Cetrion and Sonya (in ripper, I think Dirtbag/Ratbag can possibly beat both) but he defnitely loses to Baraka imo.

I’d also add nightwolf as a winning matchup, as personally, from playing both characters, I always feel like this is extremely annoying as nightwolf and Kano has a very good control of the neutral.

Another thing I’m also not sure about is Kano beating Kotal. Buluc is simply insane. It seems to me that just like Cetrion, it doesn’t need the standard fast mid / throw loop combo to be a good in this game bc he simply breaks the rules and plays by his own against a large portion of the cast, so I’m not convinced Kano has what it takes to beat him just yet.

kinger

Noob
Baraka is a hard matchup for me but I am dirtbag main. I do play some ripper tho. F4 and his sweep are a problem with blade swipe string punishing my air amp ball easy. His footsie on par with Kano IMO cept for Kano ball but big punishes hurt too bad. I find this matchup very hard, would love to hear why you have Kano up on this one. Then again I usually face bone picker making his footsie scary.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@kinger @kcd117

1. After some consideration, I've moved Nightwolf to a winning matchup because I completely agree.

2. I moved Baraka down to even matchup because Kano's control of the neutral isn't severe enough to warrant it.

3. I moved Kotal to an even matchup. While Kano does have a few more opportunities to enforce his gameplan, Kotal's survivability evens it out (I agree it's crazy.

4. And I moved Sonya and Cetrion down to an even matchup (he has the tools to really nullify what both want to do now).

All your input really helps btw.

How do yall think Kano is that bad. Maybe its that I have never labbed the matchup / that I lose to most Kanos out of pure frustration because of the yoloness of the way he is played but he is one of my worst matchups lol.
idk what you mean about "yall think Kano is that bad" lol. On the current matchup chart in the OP Kano is looking REALLY solid and good imo.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Lab him, if it's the overhead that's messing you up, you can poke him out of it really easily.

xKMMx

Banned
Let me ask this. Is he fun? So far ive gone through Noob, Jacqui, Nightwolf and have recently picked up Jax and find him to be a lot of fun but kind of want to go through the whole cast just to be able to play every character on a competent enough level to win some games but more so to have a solid understanding have they are all played so I can be better in the match up against them.

Trying to get my bad match ups learned 1st. But kinda wanna go in order who is at least fun to play.

Kano
Kitana
Jade
Shao Kahn ( I know I should probably just quit playing cause of this one)

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I think he's really fun, especially Ratbag. Easy confirms, low/OH, good D1, don't need to rely on gimmicks anymore. I think he's awesome to play and he gets big damage.

kinger

Noob
I think the problem with these kinda list is variations. Making a full variation list would be hard unless the app would make it easier. When looking at these we are only thinking of most use variations. Anyway kotal is pretty annoying to face with Kano if you ask me. The cat variation is quite annoying. Might not seem like it but he can out range you the whole game and as you say that is the most annoying thing about kanos game.

kinger

Noob
The biggest issue with cat is meter burn neg 8 so you only can punish with down 1. That is something but not enough for him to be able to throw it out when ever he feels like it. It's very good neutral tool vs Kano hurts bad and can grant a lot of life steal if totem is out. Gaining life with that hp pool is quite annoying. By the way air one is quite safe as well depending on distance. This makes it imposible to spam knifes when he far away giving him more chances for totem and sun. Then you have to throw more Kano balls that might get punished with his KB

kinger

Noob
Just my thoughts I would move sub and Lao to winning and Sonya geras Jackie Scarlett baraka Jax to losing. Kitana to even.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Just my thoughts I would move sub and Lao to winning and Sonya geras Jackie Scarlett baraka Jax to losing. Kitana to even.
After more consideration, I do agree that with the combination of the cat variation and Bulac that Kotal beats Kano if he plays defensively enough.

For the other suggestions are you considering this is just Ripper?
I actually think Kano does very well against some of the characters you mentioned as Ripper.

kinger

Noob
I think Scarlett is very hard matchup up with her zoning and footsie. Sonya rings SMH then she has better risk reward up close. Geras and Jackie and baraka is the better risk reward up close.but at least the footsie game can be better vs Geras and jackie. Geras out zones you as well. Jax just simply has better pressure. Baraka is not good to trade projectiles with either. That being said, Kano is in a good place now and these matchups are winnable but I just don't think they are 5 5. Feels like you have to make more reads.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I moved Kitana and gasp Erron Black to 5-5.

While it might very slightly lean in their favors, I don't think it's significant enough to put them next to the others in 4-6.

I realize at this point most people won't agree with me, but yeah, I truly believe Kano is this good now. He's very solidly cemented in mid to high-mid tier at at the moment imo.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
Perhaps I'm a bit biased because I play often against some killers here that main Jax and body me on almost every ocassion, but I feel Jax is superior when it comes to up close pressure, due to better frame data and staggers. Regarding footsies, I think it is mostly a tie and, in addition, Kano's ranged tools are not strong enough to outzone him.

kinger

Noob
Didn't know Scarlett gets jailed on f12, makes it better. the fact you can't jail Sonya with it or F1 knife makes her annoying. Maybe the plus one is good enough for her.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
Didn't know Scarlett gets jailed on f12, makes it better. the fact you can't jail Sonya with it or F1 knife makes her annoying. Maybe the plus one is good enough for her.
Cassie is clearly a bad matchup for Kano imo: Better footsies, better zoning, better frames...
In the case of Sonya, if we want to balace things a bit, I feel that, in this matchup, Ratbag could be the way to go, as the risk-reward of Ratbag and Sonya in terms of damage is pretty similar, and optic blast could help to balance things a bit when it comes to zoning.

Edit: bearing in mind that blade toss jails on crouch block against Johnny, I feel that Cassie is a worse matchup than Johnny

Last edited:

Whiplash

Nerve damage
How do we beat Cassie I lose out to her and Liu Kang so consistently it is a joke. Jax is also a problem but not nearly as frustrating as Liu and Cassie.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Need to use ripper in my opnion....use parry in gaps where you could normally neutral duck or jump. Use 22 after knockdown and bait with the full string.

For some reason i just dont like ratbag.

In MKX i used every variation of kano at a high level. But im not feeling ratbag.

It seems people roll out of his combos more often than not; In ratbag since full combos off of everything.
Parry is very overlooked. It can stop pokes and make people wait their turn.

Staggers into lumbar / Staggers into parry / Staggers into kano ball / Staggers into b1 mb knives

Idk just me. Until Bio shows how you can make ratbag the go to.....I'll stick with ripper.

Parry is slept on. Use it once or twice a match and you have a mind game with the F1 string

Not real but after hitting a few 11s on block because you did 112
Imagine on block
11-Lumbar
11-f1-d1-lumbar
F12b2-d1-lumbar
B3-d1 lumbar
B3 wait.. lumbar
Now just switch lumbar with parry when they dont want to respect. Just thinking how much i love rippper.

Last edited:

Whiplash

Nerve damage
Need to use ripper in my opnion....use parry in gaps where you could normally neutral duck or jump. Use 22 after knockdown and bait with the full string.

For some reason i just dont like ratbag.

In MKX i used every variation of kano at a high level. But im not feeling ratbag.

It seems people roll out of his combos more often than not; In ratbag since full combos off of everything.
Parry is very overlooked. It can stop pokes and make people wait their turn.

Staggers into lumbar / Staggers into parry / Staggers into kano ball / Staggers into b1 mb knives

Idk just me. Until Bio shows how you can make ratbag the go to.....I'll stick with ripper.

Parry is slept on. Use it once or twice a match and you have a mind game with the F1 string

Not real but after hitting a few 11s on block because you did 112
Imagine on block
11-Lumbar
11-f1-d1-lumbar
F12b2-d1-lumbar
B3-d1 lumbar
B3 wait.. lumbar
Now just switch lumbar with parry when they dont want to respect. Just thinking how much i love rippper.
I agree with everything you just said. now I just have to work on not wiffing lumbar. Because when I screw that up and get the F2 or accidental Perry its a one way street to eating dirt.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
I agree with everything you just said. now I just have to work on not wiffing lumbar. Because when I screw that up and get the F2 or accidental Perry its a one way street to eating dirt.
Commando Kano was one of my mains in MKX (he had 2 diffrent command grabs) so I fell it helps me not whiff it.

With all that muscle memory.
People literally play the one variation of scarlet because she has parry even though there is a 3rd variation.

Just my opnion. Parries are comevack tools if use correctly and command grabs stips them from just blocking everything.
All around match damage is better with figjam and manhandled ur geting a barebones kano with ratbag

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I still think that Jax is a losing MU for Kano, been playing a lot of Tiddy's Jax, and it feels like a really rough MU.