What's new

Kano the worst?!

SpiceWeasel

Nothing personal mate!
According to Sonic Fox Kano is the worst Character in the game. Do you agree with him? :coffee:

Kano is so risky even his Mirror Match isn´t a 5-5!

For me he can be all, Trash-Tier --> Top-Tier, you just need the right reads and that´s the reason i fucking love him! :D

#KanoNation4ever

Kano is so risky even his Mirror Match isn´t a 5-5!
#KanoNation4ever
I don't understand why he is so risky. Or the worst in the game. I'm not all that great and rarely know what I'm talking about lol. I think he has decent footsies and moderately safe.

B3=-4 on block
B1=-6 into knives -5
B4=-5
2,4 1+3=-4
2,2 1+3=-6
Amp air kanoball is -10 with pushback I get away with it a lot but pretty sure it's punishable.
Maybe I'm missing something

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
@Buster Skruggs
Because his only mids are quite slow compared to the "top." While B3 is safe it is slow and F3 while a great utility is unsafe. And both only lead to a knockdown.
He does have an OH at 25 frames so that means that nearly every person on this site can react to it (lul). It is safe though, but quite slow.
His low is unsafe.
ALL versions of Kano ball are unsafe!
His cmd grab is a high which is hilarious when you look at Geras with his mid grab. Guess he needs it. Anyway if you watched CB yesterday there were some prime examples of people sniffing out the tick cmd grab or raw grab by neutral ducking and punishing. Though many missed full combo and only poked because i think they were surprised they were right.
ALL his strings start with a high. The two you listed are not really mix ups because you can block the same every time and defeat the string.

So pretty much any read/guess the opponent makes on you weather you are trying to condition or trying to mix up can be punished. He literally lives and dies by that. There are many ways to blow him up. Doesn't mean he can't get wins and the opponent still has to know what to do and actually do them. That goes for any MU really. But for most now days why take the chance.

Meanwhile there are characters that don't have the lack of safety, highs, etc. For many why play Kano when you can play a char with fast long range mids that are also safe or have a way to make them safe and lead to full combo. Better mix ups, often with more safety. Better and easier KB's. And of course possessing a fuck neutral move. See it yet?

I can understand that and the concerns with him compared to top characters. Thanks for the detailed response. As far as mix ups go I rarely ever use f2 for low I prefer the sweep.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I don’t get why people think he’s bad tbh... what am I missing? He seems decent

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I don’t get why people think he’s bad tbh... what am I missing? He seems decent
It's that A Tier has everything he has but better with more tools to open, loop and put you through the blender.
Look at top Tiers, they have 9f mids that go into mix, true mix that goes into damage, staggers that are a guess, plus frames, easily jailed pokes (Baraka), on top of that they have good or above average zoning, mid range and close up.

Kano is none of that, maybe ok zoning and ok mid range but clearly pales in comparison to Geras, Erron, Sonya, SubZero, Scorpion, Baraka, Jacqui, Noob ect.

Same thing with Kotal and D'Vorah but Kotal has major hitbox issues up close.

When the game first released I thought Kano was decent, but given time I think he's definitely a bottom 5 character--probably bottom 3. With all of his lows and mids being single hit and most being unsafe, he has no stagger game. Any safety and damage he has comes off of his highs, but since the meta of the game revolves heavily around d1'ing your opponent out of their pressure, that doesn't really work as a primary offensive tool. He lacks the staggerable/safe/fast mid and low strings that most of the cast has, and his crouching pokes are average at best so he has trouble jailing into his highs.

Can he win games? Sure. But it involves making a ton of risky-ass plays and being right on the majority of them.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
He's not the worst but he not great either. Bio did very well with him at CB and Mustard did as well.

It's only been a month. People had the same kind of reservations with him in mk9 & mkx.

Chill.

He's not a Geras or Sonya. Shit never has come easy to Kano. He definitely needs to put work in to get those W's but that's how Kano has been since mk1.

A few tweaks is all he needs if that.

Wigy

There it is...
Frost flying under the radar with how bad she is.

I'd say her Khan and dvora are bottom 3.

I've literally never seen so many whiffing issues in my life.

S1 s2 s3 f2 don't hit crouch blocking. Her d3 gets low profiled. HER D3

All her strings minus b22 are total dogshit and thats got a flawless block able grab and no aerial hitbox and is -2922672 on whiff

A few tweaks is all he needs if that.
True. If they made his f2 -8 or something, he would instantly shoot up a tier, because then he'd be on par with the rest of the cast who pretty much all have safe and hit confirmable low/mid strings. F2 being 13 frames and only leading to 200-250 damage (sans snakebite) would also be more tame than what most of the cast has too.

Barring that, an even more tame option could be speeding up his b3, which would still solve a lot of his problems.

Either way, one simple frame data change is all he needs.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
True. If they made his f2 -8 or something, he would instantly shoot up a tier, because then he'd be on par with the rest of the cast who pretty much all have safe and hit confirmable low/mid strings. F2 being 13 frames and only leading to 200-250 damage (sans snakebite) would also be more tame than what most of the cast has too.

Barring that, an even more tame option could be speeding up his b3, which would still solve a lot of his problems.

Either way, one simple frame data change is all he needs.
Sure. Maybe. A solid mid would be nice but does every character need a safe, low or mid confirm? Where's the skill or yomi in the matches you have now if everything is so much more easier or can be abused.

But NRS will probably do that like everyone seems to be wanting for Kano. I still think his buttons and the fact your opponent and yourself are playing knowing he has rough frames and no really good mid is good had now they are going to be on their toes worried how your going to open them up.

But hey that's just me anyways.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Disappointed to see that he isn't up there, Kano mains had to struggle with him for a while in MKX too, but eventually he found his place in the game's meta. Hoping the same happens here, after all, I'm only buying the game just for him. :)

Sure. Maybe. A solid mid would be nice but does every character need a safe, low or mid confirm? Where's the skill or yomi in the matches you have now if everything is so much more easier or can be abused.
No they don't yet Geras, Sonya, Erron Black, and Jaqui have all of that on steroids. Meanwhile Kano is over here sniffing glue with his single hitting buttons and high starting strings. Kano belongs in a different game with his kit.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
No they don't yet Geras, Sonya, Erron Black, and Jaqui have all of that on steroids. Meanwhile Kano is over here sniffing glue with his single hitting buttons and high starting strings. Kano belongs in a different game with his kit.
I was with you until you said he belongs in a different game

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Mustard and Biohazard both did well with Kano at Combo Breaker.

Mustard just completed his post-CB tier list and has Kano high mid. I'd trust him over most opinions.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
With the new update, came new rewards...but wheres my kano gear, kano skin, kano anything....EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER GOT AT LEAST SOMETHING, anything but kano did not get a single fucking thing...bullshit, kano gets no luv round here, thats wack as fuck they can kiss our kollective kano ass and lick kanoballs all day.

Mustard and Biohazard both did well with Kano at Combo Breaker.

Mustard just completed his post-CB tier list and has Kano high mid. I'd trust him over most opinions.
Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I would take character performance in the first real major with a grain of salt. There are many high-level players who did worse than both of them, using top-tier characters. There's also the element of matchup familiarity, since I don't feel like many people are labbing Kano. IMO, Mustard and Bio are both just good players who outplayed their opponents in unfavorable matchups.