What's new

Kano help.

and when you are not in the corner learn to claw the controller and use your middle finger for LK and your index finger for LP, also you can talk to busta uppa if u want to learn kano his kano is the best i have seen

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Why thank you for the vote of confidence ILP!

I like Kano because you can abuse the Cannonball like crazy to frustrate your opponent, then get all psychological by ignoring the move altogether and rushing down your opponent once he's adopted a paranoid and overly-defensive stance.

I'll just run down some general tactics I like to use.

- Abuse the crap out of that cannonball!! It's key that you get a good feel for exactly how long it takes to charge the move; it is shorter than most people think. I often have people ask me how I'm doing them so fast. It is a good surprise move, anti rushdown, anti- any whiffed move really, decent anti-air. The only thing that bugs me is that sometime I'd like to do a better punisher combo, but since I already have LK charged, I end up doing a cannonball by accident. Not too bad of a trade-off for Kano's limited anti-air options, but just keep that in mind. Another favorite anti-rushdown tactic of mine is to crouching LP the opponent, then release LK. After the LP connects they almost always run right into the ball (not a combo but just another surprise tactic).

- Psychology of the cannonball... I like to use it a lot, and get the opponent into a paranoid state of mind so they are now too scared to really try anything. At this point I just forget the ball exists and I run in and sweep, or a combo or what have you. And once you've blown off the move long enough for them to forget about it, you can NAIL them with it later on... good times!

- Combos.. for the most part, the HK,d+LP,d+HP (hits low) and HP,HP,d+LP,d+HP (more damage) autocombos are the only ones you need concern yourself with. The 3-hit is great for rushing them on the ground, I always go for that after landing an air throw. If you jump in and they are wide-open, go for the JPS into his 4-hit launch. Lately I've been trying to cross people up with this one. Run into a bout sweep range, jump forward and MASH on block, this way if they try to jump you will send them right back down with the air throw. If they remain grounded, get the JPS and get the 4-hit for decent chipping at the very least.

- Launcher... after launchers I usually just do a JK air throw. There are better options but I usually play it safe on Live with the spotty 360 controller.

- Double cannonballs of death... Another cannonball psyche-out I just remembered. If you get a chance to punish, and you're charging LK, do the f,d,f+HK ball instead. In the heat of battle they will probably assume you just did a normal charged cannonball... so then go ahead and release LK for another rapid-fire cannonball that they won't be expecting. Again, it's a punishable non-comboed situation but I've found it catches people off guard more often then not.

That's all I can think of for now, hope it's helpful!

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Good stuff Busta! I definitely need help with Kano, I have troubles playing effectively with him, Lao, and Liu.

krsx

Noob
Konqrr said:
Good stuff Busta! I definitely need help with Kano, I have troubles playing effectively with him, Lao, and Liu.
If only Liu didn't have damage protection on his pop-up. So unnecessary! It would make one of the best combos in the game (pop up, air JK + fireball, Dragon Kick) worth doing, and not just for posterity.

Busta, your videos really helped me with Kano. Those sweeps rock. His relaunch was easy to pull off, even though I didn't see you using them. I'm not fond of the charge moves like the cannonball, or the three direction moves like the vertical one, but I can manage decently.

Anyway, headbutt ftw.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
more things to try:

-wakeup w/ the vert roll
-2xrunjab, vert roll, crossup throw
-mixing up his 2 hit and 3 hit popups (2 hit, run jab, start 3 hit, stop on hit 2, run jab, start 3 hit, stall on the 3rd hit for a possible 1 hit popup)
-practice sweep flurries, holding lk on the last one for a ninja cannonball charge
-practice your sweep flurries until they jump/cross you up, punish with a low air throw and sweep them again
-practice running under their forward jumps and hitting lk after your controls flip for an aaSweep
-use the lightsaber! theres situations where its very useful (the animation it does when you land a hit with it is overpowered)

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Sweet tips lex, I am gonna try to incorporate a more conscious sweep strategy based on your tactics!

Are there any other punishers against whiffed teleports I can use besides aaHP, baby shaker, sweep? That's the one I've been using, can't find punishers on the guide.. but it says 18% damage, and I'm wondering how much the manhandle adds to that.

ded

Elder God
for mid-screen you can always: aaHP(x2), JK, Air Throw

and for corner punishers there are few neat variations:
aaHP, JK, aaHP, Grab, Roll
aaHP, JK, aaHP, Grab, Grab...
aaHP, JK, aaHK, vroll.

etc..

the grab does about 18% if its not damage protected and about 10% in dp

The only thing I can add is about his uppercut. I have the habit of always uppercutting when people cross-jump, but with Kano it seems to always miss. I read the guide on this site that suggested jump/air-throwing when someone cross-jumps and it works great.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
When the character is right above Kano it works, it has a tendency to miss on the sides, Sonya's works similarly.

Do you guys know if repeating knife uppercuts in the corner can result i an infinite? I tend to do that in corners, and if I time it right.. apparently it combos and the opposing person can't get out of it. I haven't been able to experiment much, but I know you guys have probably done tests on this in the past 13 years.

well i thought the knife uppercut thing/light saber as some people call it has a hit limit, so it couldn't be an inf, but i'm prolly wrong i don't play kano to often

dreemernj

Ambassador
TheRedPsychosis said:
Do you guys know if repeating knife uppercuts in the corner can result i an infinite? I tend to do that in corners, and if I time it right.. apparently it combos and the opposing person can't get out of it. I haven't been able to experiment much, but I know you guys have probably done tests on this in the past 13 years.
If you are talking about juggling them in air with it I don't think you can do it fast enough to keep them in air. If they are on the ground then they can block as they stumble back off of it.