What's new

Kano Discussion

10/06/08 added some to punishers juggles and basics. There is still alot of work to do on this thread however and I could use all the help I can get with juggles, combos, etc. Please state if you feel I have missed something that you feel is an important aspect of using kano. I need all the insight i can get thanks. guide will be finished by 11/02/08

I would like this thread to include various topics.

1. Why he is ranked #4 on current tier list. (i'm not disagreeing so don't accuse me.)

2. Your basic strategies with him such as: tips, juggles, corner juggles, relaunch tips, etc. (i'm well aware that there is a strategy guide based upon kano, and i've read it numerous times. I would personally like people here to spread there insight upon kano to enhance the already well made guide.)

3. Funnest combos to do. (personally i think the give me yo money punisher is pretty humerous.)

I will be testing any tips and strategies given. Everything that seems useful will be added to the second post section. I hope to make a nice addon to the already existing guide. Thanks for your help everyone. If you have any questions contact me.

Thanks, please don't spam i'm well aware of forum rules and regulations.

Before I get into this there's basically 2 strategies to use turtling as well as rushing. Kano has a pretty insane rush down i'd say it's #3 in the game (kabal, nightwolf). He's pretty hard to hit. And almost nobody will even try to go for aaHP's from his JK it's just to hard. When rushing take advantage of his 3 hit pop up (lk, d+lp, d+hp.)

Basics:
Kano has great basic moves. His JK is really pointy, it's pretty hard to pull off an aaHP Kano. Before I go into sweeping I'd like to point out that you can pretty easily connect a Knife Uppercut after Kano's JK if you commit to it. His sweep is comparible to Sonya's. I say it's comparible to Sonya's because i'm going to have to disagree with Shock here. Kano's sweep connects well with HK's but honestly I've been comparing the 2 sweeps for a few hours now and i would like to note you can pretty much connect an autocombo after one of Sonya's sweeps every single time. Even if your opponent blocks you get a few pixels of chip damage, which also puts you into the perfect position to what Kano, Sonya, and Jax all do best (SWEEP!) Kano has a great HK for quick anti air which can get you right into sweeping and air throw territory. Kano's Jabs aren't the greatest but they are still useful just don't abuse them because they're pretty easy to counter on most occasions.

Special Moves:
- Cannonball: Hold LK 3 seconds. Kano hurls at the opponent in a ball shape at a pretty decent speed.
- Vertical Cannonball: F, D, F, HK. Kano hurls at the opponent vertically in a ball shape once again nice speed. I'd like to note this is very good to escape run jabs, crossups, and also when someone starts to rush you it's a great counter.
- Knife Uppercut: D, F, HP. Basically a special uppercut has nice speed and recovery. Useful for far away aa as well as ducking opponents.
- Manhandle: D, F, LP. Basically like Jax's Gotcha Grab except you'll really only want to do this in combos because it is a pretty easy special move to punish as well as block.
- Air Throw: Kano has a great air throw which is best used for cross ups and sweep situations. Although his airthrow is weaker than Jax's it seems to connect more and in my opinion it's alot better in sweep situations because of course kano owns jax :D.

Auto Combos:- HK, HK, LK, B+HK ( basic kick combo )
- HP, HP, D+LP, D+HP ( best combo for punch starters )
- HK, D+LP, D+HP ( best combo for ground / jab situations )
- HK, HP or LK, LP ( 2 Hit pop-up, use HK, D+LP, D+HP for 4% more damage. )

Juggles:
- JP, HP, HP, D+LP, D+HP, R, aaHP, R, JK, air throw
- JP, HP, HP, D+LP, D+HP, JK, Knife Uppercut
- JP, HP, HP, D+LP, D+HP, Late JK, Cannonball
- JP, HP, HP, D+LP, D+HP, Late JK, Manhandle, LK

Punishers:
- aaHP, Manhandle ( only use if you want to be a dick actually scratch out the aaHP as well :D )
- aaHP, HP, JK, Air Throw ( usually on xbla i just go for the aaHP, JK, Air Throw due to lag, but if your in a game with a good connection go for the extra pixels. )
- aaHP, HP, JK, Cannonball

Corner:
- Combo, JK, aaHP, manhandle, cannonball
- Combo, JK, RH, HK

Derek

Noob
1. I don't know and that's partially some of the reason why his place is constantly debated.

2. I don't intentionally pick him, ever.

3. He doesn't really have any amazing combos. It's more or less rely on his normals because they're all pretty good. I can list the ones that I'd do in certain situations but that's not what you asked for.

I just like to hit popup to JK to money grab.

and hopefully hitting cannon balls after.

That's all I do with kano

I just rush down sweep and go for popups to corners...

ded

Elder God
fun mid-screen juggle vs male ninjas: 4 hit popupt, jk, grab, aaLK

he is n4 because all you need to know with him except runjabs are sweep and air throw, i've seen how a high-level players have been beated just with those moves.

Tim Static

Adminerator
popup, aaP, Jk, Knife uppercut or cannonball or (corner) popup, jk, rising cannonball.

#1 thing you need to remember with Kano is the LK button. Whether abusing his sweep
(#1 sweep in the game) or charging the cannonball, you finger should always be on the LK.

He is right where he should be in the tier list. He can counter almost everyone in the game, can popup everyone, and has high damaging, easy combos.

I suggest you read and re-read his strategy guide section.

Anyone mention how Kano has Kannonballs for NUTS?????

Especially offline those balls of doom are amazingly good....

and like how everyone said air throw and sweeps will win many games. (even though Kano's air throw does poop for dmg compared to the other air throws....)

Though Kano is not a character for beginners because you need to know what to watch for and how to use specific strategies.

When i play with him, i usually just trick people with sweeps, airthrows, and the grab Bait. I love playing with Peoples minds with kano.

I think where people go wrong with kano and the reason I can count on 2 hands the number of scary kanos on live is that people dont use his cannonballs properly. You can punish people so easily whenever they try any move that is too deep. Blocked sweep/hk/jab that they are slow to recover from = cb.The trick is to pressure and pressure and pressure and when they attempt to pressure back you stop them in their tracks with the cannonball. Its a gimped form of what skilled players do with kabal's run jab and spin game. Between his sweep, air throw and reverse cb you should never get crossed up. Its on you to dictate the fight. Also, something I dont see many people do that I use literally pretty much every match with kano is his wake up vert cb. It comes out instantly if your timing is good.

I see 2 types of people who play kano for the most part. The ones who just constantly spam cb and then vertball in succession for the majority of the match and the ones who do nothing but sweep and jk. Neither are particularly effective. Its an exercise in paying attention with Kano. You just need to know when to counter and when to pressure. If people played him in a little more controlled way he'd get a lot more respect than he does on xbl.

HAYRON

Noob
I think the best strategy I've come up with for Kano is mixing it up.

I like to use his run Jab, sweep, and RH as random as possible. Constantly keeping this up allows you to charge the LK when people aren't ready for it. Then you can throw out his cannonballs as a counter to nearly anything they try to do to escape.

For example, on an agressive opponent who rushes at the start of the match, i'd do something like this:

sweep, sweep (charge LK), run jab short series, Knee w/ HK, repeat Runjab and knee.
Oftentimes you'll get someone letting up and trying to jump away in the middle of your jabs which will allow you to go for aaLP, Shakedown, Cannonball. After the cannonball, you can typically wait to see their reaction. If they are agressive, repeat. If they stand still, run in halfway and sweep. Then go back to randomness. Only leave the ground in on a popup combo or if they set themselves up for an air throw.

Randomness allows Kano's speed, specifically on his sweeps and the instant cannonball to be ultra dangerous.

Finally people start actually posting strategies that are effective. Game Over i couldn't have said it better myself with the spam cb's (so easy to punish.) Hayron i like your style, i'm still trying to get my Kano to be a rusher. But he's one of the hardest chars to be good with, as you both stated Kano makes the match, you have to be totally aware of what to look for. I'll finish this guide soon i'm just trying to get as much input as i can before i post this guide. so it can be somewhat helpful instead of a bunch of random strats that came to my head :D

your input is very much appreciated

I like to use his run Jab, sweep, and RH as random as possible. .

Only leave the ground in on a popup combo or if they set themselves up for an air throw.

I agree with everything you said except for these two statements. I think his roundhouse is a joke. It's short and not particularly fast.

As far as leaving the ground a trick I try to use whenever possible is to run jab at full screen distance to cb that stops directly short and then to imediately jump after landing into a cross up for a free jump punch popup. It works like half the time and when it doesnt generally they either run into the cb or they get stuck blocking taking chip damage.

HAYRON

Noob
I agree with everything you said except for these two statements. I think his roundhouse is a joke. It's short and not particularly fast.

As far as leaving the ground a trick I try to use whenever possible is to run jab at full screen distance to cb that stops directly short and then to imediately jump after landing into a cross up for a free jump punch popup. It works like half the time and when it doesnt generally they either run into the cb or they get stuck blocking taking chip damage.
Good points.

What I meant was that I just occasionally use that as a random move to throw the enemy off. Rarely do I need to connect a RH to make it effective enough. Sometimes I sprint from full screen and throw the roundhouse out about half screen away just for some random confusion. It also works during rushdown to throw it out every once in a great while after the sweep. It may connect on jumping enemies trying to evade the rush. If it doesn't connect, by the time the enemy reacts you can block. The only thing to worry about there is a well-timed uppercut.

If you connect the roundhouse after the sweep+charge, you can then rush 1/2-way in and release the cb for a surprise.

The reason I say not to leave the ground is because I have plenty of experience getting my rear-end handed to me when I try to jump. The air is a dangerous place to be if you're up against a good opponent. That applies to any character. Sure you can leave the ground on occasion if you feel your opponent is weak to it. But most top notch players are going to beat the crap out of you for it.

Good points.

What I meant was that I just occasionally use that as a random move to throw the enemy off. Rarely do I need to connect a RH to make it effective enough. Sometimes I sprint from full screen and throw the roundhouse out about half screen away just for some random confusion. It also works during rushdown to throw it out every once in a great while after the sweep. It may connect on jumping enemies trying to evade the rush. If it doesn't connect, by the time the enemy reacts you can block. The only thing to worry about there is a well-timed uppercut.

If you connect the roundhouse after the sweep+charge, you can then rush 1/2-way in and release the cb for a surprise.

The reason I say not to leave the ground is because I have plenty of experience getting my rear-end handed to me when I try to jump. The air is a dangerous place to be if you're up against a good opponent. That applies to any character. Sure you can leave the ground on occasion if you feel your opponent is weak to it. But most top notch players are going to beat the crap out of you for it.

I get what your saying. Sneaky.

As far as the air goes, I tend to agree that jumping will get you killed.That said, Kano is one of the safer characters to jump with given his jk priority and air throw.

Basically Kano rocks.

As for a cool combo to try out, I suggest after a little jab pressure to try a cross up deep jk,run, lp , cannonball midscreen. It works with the manhandel minus the lp also. It's not particularly effective but it's funny to hear people reactions.

HAYRON

Noob
I've been using a simple aaLP, cb on people trying to jump out of the rush. Again, not necessarily super damaging, but its speed can be very psychological when you pull it off multiple times in a match.

Plus I like to instantly start recharging the LK when released so it seems like your cannonballs can sometimes come out faster than normal.

Another thing to do is if you manage the vertical ball in a fast-paced match it sometimes tricks the enemy into forgetting about the charged one and they'll rush in and take the cb.

This is a good video overall,and I think it's been posted here before, but Jump to the 2 minute maker in and you'll see the real gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ra7TIxcSLE

lol deep jk, r,aalp, v ball.. i need to try that one. although i'm still not the best with kano i've only really played him for like 2 weeks now =\. He's a tough one to get used to imo. It's not like kabal or homo smoke where you can just do whatever and win. But it seems to me once you get like what to look for with kano.. game over :D

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
I'm definitely a Kano fan! Abusing the hell out of the cannonball is good fun. The unfortunate thing is that you can't really use the ball to its fullest potential unless you're on a real arcade machine, since netplay and joystick converters will often lose the LK input while you're charging.

Buuut when everything works right, the ball is great. It takes less time to charge it then most people realize, so you can keep 'em coming pretty fast.

Here's a video of me playing Kano vs. an aggressive Kabal... I lose the match but there is some fun cannonball action to be had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrFDN2tRMU

Busta nice vid. Cannonball rape :O

Since i already have a thread open and everyones been helpful so far let me ask for some help on one issue i always have.... punishers.

main thing for me is with kano for example:

aahp, aahp, jk, airthrow .... the second hp always whiffs for me

basically the answer i'm looking for is ... do you do a short run burst to hp's after you block a teleport punch, cannonball etc. or do you space out the hp's a bit like with strykers semi infinite. Also do i use the same punishers for like teleport uppercuts since they necessarily don't really go into the punishment ball ?

if anyone can give me some pretty easy 40% + punishers i'd appreciate it .. this is one thing i really suck in the aspect of mk.... thanks for the help

Some characters i enjoy using and woul dlike a short list of punishers if you can provide the information is:
Jax, Kano, Kitana, Sektor, Nightwolf, Sheeva, and anyone else you think would be good practice for me :O

dubson

Noob
Used to love playing kano matches with this guy. Seems like I havent seen you pick him in months though.
Yeah, I took a little break from Kano for a while. But he will always be one of my main characters.

I am gonna be on tonight if you wanna have a session tonight, Game.

We are about due for a session anyways, but our work schedules seemed to be conflicting...

Yeah, I took a little break from Kano for a while. But he will always be one of my main characters.

I am gonna be on tonight if you wanna have a session tonight, Game.

We are about due for a session anyways, but our work schedules seemed to be conflicting...
I'll def try to hop on.

B
aahp, aahp, jk, airthrow .... the second hp always whiffs for me

basically the answer i'm looking for is ... do you do a short run burst to hp's after you block a teleport punch, cannonball etc. or do you space out the hp's a bit like with strykers semi infinite. Also do i use the same punishers for like teleport uppercuts since they necessarily don't really go into the punishment ball ?
You do it the same way you do the punches for the human smoke teleport punisher. walk a step or two forward burst hp,hp jk air throw. Timing on the jk/air throw is the same as smoke's also. With the robots the hphp has to hit deeper for the jk airthhrow to come out.