What's new

VIdeo/Tutorial - Piercing Kahnum's Wrath: Mileena Punishment Guide

Yo guys.
Been trying to get this project started for a while now, but it's finally in progress. Basically going to have this be for future vids showcasing block punishment and situational answers in Piercing. (Most of these can be applied to Ethereal/Ravenous as well unless it has something to do with Piercing's B1,2).

Anyway, here's the first one featuring Kenshi.

Disclaimer: I don't have daily access to a PS4 or capture device at the moment, so the updates may be infrequent. But I'mma do my best. Also, this was recorded before the June 23rd patch.

EDITED for easier access
Punishing Kenshi
Punishing Shinnok
Punishing Cassie
Punishing Kung Jin

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Yo guys.
Been trying to get this project started for a while now, but it's finally in progress. Basically going to have this be for future vids showcasing block punishment and situational answers in Piercing. (Most of these can be applied to Ethereal/Ravenous as well unless it has something to do with Piercing's B1,2).

Anyway, here's the first one featuring Kenshi.

Disclaimer: I don't have daily access to a PS4 or capture device at the moment, so the updates may be infrequent. But I'mma do my best. Also, this is as of the June 23rd patch.
Will watch this later today but this is a great idea and appreciate you doing this. Look forward to more of these.

So I already have the next one in progress, and I'll try to record some more this weekend if I can. I originally planned to do Kano/Sub/Reptile next.
But, if anyone wants a specific character instead, you can request them. I'll try to get to the ones with the most votes sooner.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
Very good idea, also I highly suggest to anyone who plays in tournament to purchase the MKX pocket guide. Very useful if your mid tournament!

I have the hardest time punishing kung jin and cassie if you can get around to it.
Kung Jin just doesn't look very unsafe aside from the usual divekick/flying kick stuff, but i'll see what I can do.

Speaking of which. Ferra/Torr has about... 3 unsafe moves, so I don't know how exactly to approach that vid yet.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Kung Jin just doesn't look very unsafe aside from the usual divekick/flying kick stuff, but i'll see what I can do.

Speaking of which. Ferra/Torr has about... 3 unsafe moves, so I don't know how exactly to approach that vid yet.
My main problem with Kung Jim is that I can't find a way to punish ex bd3. Also for ferra/torr if you just made a minute long video on how to punish his njp I would be happy

My main problem with Kung Jim is that I can't find a way to punish ex bd3. Also for ferra/torr if you just made a minute long video on how to punish his njp I would be happy
lol, I hear ya. I'm trying to understand why people say Ferra's low tier if they're so damn safe on everything

TheGabStandard

My main problem with Kung Jim is that I can't find a way to punish ex bd3.
If I'm reading it right that's his EX Low Bow Spin. If true that can be punished by a lot of stuff since its very negative. Block both hits low as there is less pushback than blocking first hit low and then second hit standing.

When blocked low you can punish with Tele kick, roll, B12, B22, F23 and sometimes F4 across all variations. Unless I'm missing something here you shouldn't be having any issues. Unless you meant ex db3 which is Bow Swing?

Baconlord

If I'm reading it right that's his EX Low Bow Spin. If true that can be punished by a lot of stuff since its very negative. Block both hits low as there is less pushback than blocking first hit low and then second hit standing.

When blocked low you can punish with Tele kick, roll, B12, B22, F23 and sometimes F4 across all variations. Unless I'm missing something here you shouldn't be having any issues. Unless you meant ex db3 which is Bow Swing?
yeah I meant db3. thanks anyway

TheGabStandard

Second vid featuring Shinnok. Final recording before June 23rd patch, hence Dark Beam hitting mid. Not sure if Dark Beam is unsafe now, but eh here it is anyway.

Great vid and looking forward to more. I would like to know what the music is that is used at the intro. It's pretty awesome

TheGabStandard

My main problem with Kung Jim is that I can't find a way to punish ex db3
@ZeroEffect an idea came to mind about this that might work to punish Jin. Will have to test when I arrive back home but if the frame data is right and ex bow spin is -17 it might be possible to do an instant run cancel as soon as you leave blockstun into B1. If correct then that in theory can punish the move. I know it's a bit execution heavy but if it works then it is an option

Baconlord

@ZeroEffect an idea came to mind about this that might work to punish Jin. Will have to test when I arrive back home but if the frame data is right and ex bow spin is -17 it might be possible to do an instant run cancel as soon as you leave blockstun into B1. If correct then that in theory can punish the move. I know it's a bit execution heavy but if it works then it is an option
I tried that with s2 and s1 but I haven't tried b1 yet. I mainly play ethereal so I might need to play piercing for that matchup. Also I know run up roll doesn't work but do you think reversal ex fade into s2 could punish it.

TheGabStandard

I tried that with s2 and s1 but I haven't tried b1 yet. I mainly play ethereal so I might need to play piercing for that matchup. Also I know run up roll doesn't work but do you think reversal ex fade into s2 could punish it.
EX Fade would probably work but having to spend meter to punish a move would be a bit much, obviously depending on scenarios like if it will win the round. Give it a try

I was messing around with run punishes in my latest couple recordings. Didn't try KJ bow spin though.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
EX Fade would probably work but having to spend meter to punish a move would be a bit much, obviously depending on scenarios like if it will win the round. Give it a try
sadly neither ex fade into 2 nor run cancel piercing back 1 can punish.
i cant get over how b1 wont punish but mileena is just pushed back so far than she loses too many frames with the run.

i wonder why mileena gets extra pushback when blocking moves, like blocking johnny's ex nutpunch with her and my other charcter scorp are too different worlds with the difference in pushback

sadly neither ex fade into 2 nor run cancel piercing back 1 can punish.
i cant get over how b1 wont punish but mileena is just pushed back so far than she loses too many frames with the run.

i wonder why mileena gets extra pushback when blocking moves, like blocking johnny's ex nutpunch with her and my other charcter scorp are too different worlds with the difference in pushback
Mileena's short and Scorpion is tall.