What's new

Strategy Just Some Stuff I've Been Studying.

Espio

Kokomo
Okay so before I begin, I know most of this isn't ground breaking or anything like that, but it's just some ideas I've been playing with that I think will really help Stryker players out in the long run.

Shout outs to STB Chongo for his help :).

Whiff punishing jump ins with Back 1,2,2 and Back 2 forward 2.

I've been testing this with him lately and it's actually a really effective option that is under utilized I feel and I've been studying this a lot where high level players use similar options like Digimon would commonly blow up whiffed jump in punches with Sheeva's 1,2, back 1 or CD with Kitana using 2,1 into follow up of choice to net big damage. These are just some examples, but can easily work for Stryker's options too with practice.

Counterpoke set ups. Stryker mains are familiar with his 1,2 string, which is neutral on block and he can use to set up his gun mix ups/options because 1,2 gun cancel is +1 on block or he can let the gun shot fire for chip or actual damage if the opponent doesn't block.

Sometimes people will low poke after the 1,2 so I've been working on counterpoke set ups off of this particular string.

Stryker's standing 2, standing 3, standing 4 and his back 3 all can come into play. These will be discussed in more detail in my video I'm releasing in a couple days to give a visual and further elaboration.

1,2 creates the perfect distance for Stryker's 2, 4 and 3 options to blow up low pokes like down 1's, down 3's , and most down 4's, each option has its place and uses with advantages and disadvantages, but all are useful in some capacity.

For characters with long ranged down 4's and down 1's, this is where back 3 follow ups (roll toss, 2, baton sweep) come into play, you can walk back a bit more and blow up their whiffed pokes.

Roll toss: We're all familar with roll toss being a good counterzoning tool, but it's also a very useful tool for whiff punishing things like whiffed uppercuts, sweeps, low pokes, strings and other things that Stryker would other wise be out of range to punish with his other options.

Other good examples include a blocked trance from Quan Chi if you feel like you're not in range to get a full combo punish on block.

Like I said, a lot of this will be discussed in my upcoming video for the Stryker guide, but I wanted to get some discussion and awareness going before I post that :).

I played SomeCubanGuy's Baraka online & he would backdash my jump in attemps & whiff punish me with a slower string.

Since playing him I've adopted that same tactic to use slower moves like Noobs b1.

Anyway, can't wait for the video.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Go Espio! This is interesting. You are the Stryker god. Go get a cop hat and baton and wear them to every tournament you go to.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I would think B2 would be too slow for whiff punishing, but I will try it

Standing 3 seems to be the best choice for counter poking; it's got a decent speed, hits mid, some advantage on hit, etc. I've been incorporating this more into my general footsie game as well.

Espio

Kokomo
Something else I wanted to talk about that will probably be in the video that I omitted from the original post, "feigned/fake out jump ins to cause whiffs".

This is very important and creates a mix up everytime you jump.

Bascially what I mean by this is jumping at your opponent, then dashing backwards to make their anti-air attempt whiff(like and uppercut for example), which can set up a roll toss whiff punish or possibly projectile chip damage and things of that nature.

This can mess with your opponent's head and make them guess and take risks like you're taking a risk by jumping.

More options like this makes anti-airing more difficult and of course you can mix this in with jump kicks, jump in punches, gun cancels, etc. to add another layer to your defensive and offensive spacing game.

It's easier to show visually than necessarily textually explain perhaps so if I explained this poorly, I apologize, but it will be discussed :D. I'm doing the write up tomorrow.

I would think B2 would be too slow for whiff punishing, but I will try it

Standing 3 seems to be the best choice for counter poking; it's got a decent speed, hits mid, some advantage on hit, etc. I've been incorporating this more into my general footsie game as well.

I've done it against strings from Liu Kang and Sektors before online, it has pretty solid range despite its speed not being too fast.

Glad to hear that you're trying it.

It's gonna take a lot of precision and practice, online makes doing things like this harder, but with enough practice definitely doable from time to time :).

Both the blockstrings are safe so it comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with overall.

Yeah standing 3 is +6 on hit by itself and is 13 frames, standing 2 has some advantages over it in terms of damage potential on hit and is safer on block. Glad to hear you're messing with it already strong footsies and spacing is one of my main focuses.

I played SomeCubanGuy's Baraka online & he would backdash my jump in attemps & whiff punish me with a slower string.

Since playing him I've adopted that same tactic to use slower moves like Noobs b1.

Anyway, can't wait for the video.

Good stuff :).

It's amazing how much we can glean from other really solid players even online despite the bad rap it gets definitely can give you great, viable ideas.

Noob's back 1 definitely really good, the good thing about slow strings is they usually have superior range and priority(maybe this part is just me) so it's a nice trade off for speed.

I had a similar experience when Insuperable was blowing up my low pokes with Quan's strings I was so impressed by that lol.

I'm going to try my best to have it up by Friday afternoon, Sunday the latest.

Go Espio! This is interesting. You are the Stryker god. Go get a cop hat and baton and wear them to every tournament you go to.

I was going to wear a SWAT hat to FF, but they were all out lol :(.

Thanks <3.