What's new

Just play the game, or leave it alone.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Thanks @Mikemetroid. I definitely agree that NRS helps stir the toxic pot here, with their lack of communication. If they were a little more forthcoming about what they plan to do (and don't plan to do), more folks could make peace with the state of the game and move on.

Point taken that playing MK9 now won't give you a modern online experience. But other than not having random matchmaking (no small issue, not downplaying it), the lumpier, bumpier aspects of the game are still basically the same now as then. So if you (speaking collectively) were able to love it then despite the lumps and bumps, why can't you love it now?

When someone says, "I'd love MK9 if only they'd remaster it," I get the reasons why--but you're basically asking for a new game to be created. So it brings us back to the exact same place: Is it really worth it to "bitch and moan" about the game you want that doesn't exist (a remastered MK9, a completely overhauled MK11) vs. focusing on the gaming experiences that do make you happy?

And right, constructive criticism is a good thing; everyone would agree with that. But same as what the OP said in 2012, "we only need to hear the same shit so much before we get the picture." The game has been out for a year and half, and most of the complaints are still the same. I'm certain that NRS has gotten the picture and knows what you want; it's up to them to decide what to do (or not do) about it.

Folks can be honest with themselves about this or not--but at some point, complaining stops being about constructive criticism and starts being about feeding the echo chamber. A lot of people go to social media to complain, not to be helpful, but because it feels good to vent in front of an audience that agrees with you and cheers it on. And we've seen what that eventually does to the community, for every single game...

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Thanks @Mikemetroid. I definitely agree that NRS helps stir the toxic pot here, with their lack of communication. If they were a little more forthcoming about what they plan to do (and don't plan to do), more folks could make peace with the state of the game and move on.

Point taken that playing MK9 now won't give you a modern online experience. But other than not having random matchmaking (no small issue, not downplaying it), the lumpier, bumpier aspects of the game are still basically the same now as then. So if you (speaking collectively) were able to love it then despite the lumps and bumps, why can't you love it now?
I was able to love it because I had a tournament scene that would at least bring 20 people an event 2013-2015 (pre MKX) and after MKX released, the game's community support stopped and effectively became a PC Netcode Only realm. I do still play MK9 but Its with a very small group of people and usually only if they are within my region. The delay is just too strong and too shitty, not to mention the port itsself still has lots of random problems. The potential is too great and for what "minimal" (I say that in quotes because I truly don't know how easy it would be) requests we have, I feel that its silly to not have these things for an industry that produces more remasters and remakes than ever before. Not to mention, the reusing of assets carries through the games, so it's not like this is an entirely different engine.

MK9 was a monster of a game to have an offline scene for, and its results are still felt by those who experienced them. Its easy to understand why so many are very passionate about the game.

When someone says, "I'd love MK9 if only they'd remaster it," I get the reasons why--but you're basically asking for a new game to be created. So it brings us back to the exact same place: Is it really worth it to "bitch and moan" about the game you want that doesn't exist (a remastered MK9, a completely overhauled MK11) vs. focusing on the gaming experiences that do make you happy?

And right, constructive criticism is a good thing; everyone would agree with that. But same as what the OP said in 2012, "we only need to hear the same shit so much before we get the picture." The game has been out for a year and half, and most of the complaints are still the same. I'm certain that NRS has gotten the picture and knows what you want; it's up to them to decide what to do (or not do) about it.
I don't think occasionally voicing my concerns and complaints in a public, open forum about a game shouldn't equal "to this is what I do with my free time". I have stopped streaming regularly and honestly spend my time playing other things. I would love to come back but I just don't see a reason to do it with the current state of the community and world (I'm a big offline player and COVID has effectively stopped me from traveling). Folks who do this everyday however, they do exist and I do agree that they should find something else to do. The passion is gone but the brand loyalty is still there, and desperate for that passion to reignite, you end up either complaining that you want or just giving it all up entirely.

Folks can be honest with themselves about this or not--but at some point, complaining stops being about constructive criticism and starts being about feeding the echo chamber. A lot of people go to social media to complain, not to be helpful, but because it feels good to vent in front of an audience that agrees with you and cheers it on. And we've seen what that eventually does to the community, for every single game...
You have a valid point and people do need to chill the fuck out, but there are exceptions to the rule. I really do think that as a community we need to be able to say whatever we need to. Social Media is a disease and I know exactly what you're talking about. If I'm passionate about how I would like the games in the community that I spend lots of my personal time with, I don't think its unreasonable to be openly dissatisfied with NRS and what they make. However, again, I do believe it is inappropriate with how most people do it (younger me included).

E

Eldriken

Yet you guys do it all the time and are still here, unbanned and not in trouble. The desire to feel attacked and silenced when you guys do whatever you want is comical.
Everybody loves to play the fucking victim it seems, huh? Folks here and all over the Net are never gonna change. Imagine what they must be like in the real world if they feel so oppressed on little 'ol TYM.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Hopefully in 2023;

insulting MK 11 will be free
insulting MK 12 will be a critical mistake.

Here lately I have been noticing a LOT of people complaining about this game and whining about a lot of different issues, whether it be Kabal, the glitches, the bugs, the awful net code, or just the game and/or NRS in general. If you have a problem with the games then don't play them, it's that simple don't come here to bash, bitch and moan about them, we have heard it all already and get tired of it after a while. I'm not sitting here telling you that if you don't like the games or NRS to just GTFO, and I'm not saying I don't respect anyone's opinion because I do and you are entitled to it as a member of this great community, but seriously we only need to hear the same shit so much before we get the picture. Everyone here at this point understands what we are dealing with in this game, and should just decide whether or not we want to play this game or not. We already catch enough criticism from every other community, we don't need our own players fueling the flame, especially at a time when we are doing what we can to keep the game competitive. Like I said, I value all of you as members of the MK community and love and respect each and every one of you, but let's just try to enjoy this for what it is, and hope we get something better in the near future.
Imagine if, in life, in any fucked up situation, unfairness or things not working as it should, people behave like you want.

Imagine the fucked up things that we see in the government, the system. And them you, come, and say that.

I only come here to see the news, the patches and if there is something fresh about the game, but the forums, like....nothing against kids (I was a kid years ago), but it is very clear that the forums are filled with kids trying to impose themselves.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Being able to criticize something in a fair and objective way, is an important thing to do. It's not like it's thing that shouldn't ever happen.

However, constantly bemoaning a game day after day, week after week, month after month because
- it's not what someone wanted
- It doesn't do something the same way other game does
- they think A will fix everything without considering what it means for B, C, K, and Y
- they lost a couple times and clearly that means Coin flips and bad mechanics are at fault
- criticizing something means you are smart and you look cool
gets a little old.

Clearly there are people out there playing and enjoying the game. If it's not your cup of tea, go pour your self a cup of Tekken brand coffee or whatever. This isn't a time when we only have one game. We are spoiled for choice, and I personally wish I could play way more of these games than I can. I don't see how it's even possible to get so hung up on one not being a perfect match.

All games don't need to work the same way and they shouldn't. That's basically a recipe for stagnation. You'll just have one game that does those few things the best and everyone just plays that. You need different ideas. You need different challenge sets. You need to appeal to different peoples' personal tastes. Chip kills should exist The block button should exist, ringouts should exist. Earned meter building should exist. Automatic meter building should exist. All those things should exist somewhere, in some game.

There are way too many people in random places who seem to have played the game for like 5 min a month, and complain about the balance or want that one thing changed. That one thing probably pinballing into 4 to 5 other things they aren't thinking about or even know exist. It's easy to reason about problems in a bottle when you don't have to consider how interconnected things are. We don't get to make test builds and try stuff. They don't get to make a game for one person or even a minor subset of them. What a lot of people ask for probably doesn't jive with the reality of how thing would play out. That you make problems by fixing them.