What's new

Joker MU Discussion Thread

Seriously, is there anything we can do in the Wonder Woman matchup? Ik I got to get better at punishing the shoulder bash, but in general, she can get in so easily (with + frames) if she does MB shoulder bash. From there it's just a big, "Sit down and just block" sequence until Joker very luckily gets a hit. Any ideas?

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Seriously, is there anything we can do in the Wonder Woman matchup? Ik I got to get better at punishing the shoulder bash, but in general, she can get in so easily (with + frames) if she does MB shoulder bash. From there it's just a big, "Sit down and just block" sequence until Joker very luckily gets a hit. Any ideas?
I know if you duck lasso of truth bs after b2 if you are fast enough you can punish with gun. That's about it lol

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Lasso has to whiff though, if it doesn't it's plus a million

Faust

Why you look like we?
What are people's thoughts on the sub zero match up so far? I'm having some issues with him, especially if the player uses the clone well, can be tough to get in.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
What are people's thoughts on the sub zero match up so far? I'm having some issues with him, especially if the player uses the clone well, can be tough to get in.
Run away and punish whiffs as best you can. Keep teeth out and don't get cornered or try to compete at close range.

Been trying to get better with The Joker. What do you guys do on wake up vs Flash. Whenever I get knocked down by Flash it feels like ggs for my life bar. Even if I block the mix-up is there anyway to reliably punish the lightning kick?

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Been trying to get better with The Joker. What do you guys do on wake up vs Flash. Whenever I get knocked down by Flash it feels like ggs for my life bar. Even if I block the mix-up is there anyway to reliably punish the lightning kick?
I d1 crowbar if I'm quick enough. My problem in the flash MU is I'm always putting all my focus on blocking, I forget to punish what I can. It's a really hard MU lol.

Either backdash or delayed wakeup. And punish lighting kick with 11 combo.

What are you guys doing against Flash when he staggers d1d2 into his mid string or d1d2 again or Sonic Pound especially in the corner.

I've found that his d1d2 has push back that makes Joker's d1 whiff and then I get punished with his mid string.

Right now the options as I see them are either

Parry-which is can get blown up easily or

Jump which I would prefer not to do because Flash's D2 is so strong and his air to air beats ours

I tried b1 and it's very inconsistent and it can get blown up if you're timing is even a little off.

What's the best way to deal with it?

Wigy

There it is...
What are you guys doing against Flash when he staggers d1d2 into his mid string or d1d2 again or Sonic Pound especially in the corner.

I've found that his d1d2 has push back that makes Joker's d1 whiff and then I get punished with his mid string.

Jump which I would prefer not to do because Flash's D2 is so strong and his air to air beats ours

I tried b1 and it's very inconsistent and it can get blown up if you're timing is even a little off.

Jokers d2 trumps most of flashes neutral. Use teeth and d2 to control pace, if he gets in just gotta hold it and poke out on read.

Play it lame, dont let people get away without a punish on blocked d1d2 into pound if they keep doing it.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player

As shitty as this sounds, try to react to sonic pound with parry, d2 or d1 if your fast enough. Otherwise just hold it and wait for an opportunity to dash away or pushblock.

On another note, Idk why people keep saying throw teeth out either. If flash is in lightning punches range, he can punish raw teeth on reaction for a full combo. Raw teeths start up is 88 frames... 88 FRAMES

Please don't throw raw teeth while in this moves range, if the Flash player is well equipped with the knowledge of the MU, they will punish your ass and laugh while doing it.

Wigy

There it is...
As shitty as this sounds, try to react to sonic pound with parry, d2 or d1 if your fast enough. Otherwise just hold it and wait for an opportunity to dash away or pushblock.

On another note, Idk why people keep saying throw teeth out either. If flash is in lightning punches range, he can punish raw teeth on reaction for a full combo. Raw teeths start up is 88 frames... 88 FRAMES

Please don't throw raw teeth while in this moves range, if the Flash player is well equipped with the knowledge of the MU, they will punish your ass and laugh while doing it.
Hes not in recovery for 90ish frames for teeth is he?

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Hes not in recovery for 90ish frames for teeth is he?
What does the recovery have to do with the start up? If you can't punish a move that takes 88 frames to start up, that's a player problem.

Look, I'm not trying to argue here. I'm trying to make sure my fellow joker players don't do anything reckless unless they know they can get away with it. If you don't believe me, Go into the lab and try it yourself. I've also had this done consistently to me online and offline until I realized I shouldn't be doing it.

When I'm in lightning punches range, you will not see me throwing teeth unless I know I can get away with it. Same thing with gunshot lol

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
What does the recovery have to do with the start up? If you can't punish a move that takes 88 frames to start up, that's a player problem.

Look, I'm not trying to argue here. I'm trying to make sure my fellow joker players don't do anything reckless unless they know they can get away with it. If you don't believe me, Go into the lab and try it yourself. I've also had this done consistently to me online and offline until I realized I shouldn't be doing it.

When I'm in lightning punches range, you will not see me throwing teeth unless I kmow I can get away with it. Same thing woth gunshot lol
There isnt 90 frames before you can block is what im saying, its surely around 25, so the startup frames are irrelevent thats just when they explode.

I was legit just asking initially

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
There isnt 90 frames before you can block is what im saying, its surely around 25, so the startup frames are irrelevent thats just when they explode.

I was legit just asking initially
How are the start up frames irrelevant? Start up frames are from when the move starts to when it's active... so you have 88 frames to react to move you know is coming. I'm confused as to why that's irrelevant... lol

Wigy

There it is...
How are the start up frames irrelevant? Start up frames are from when the move starts to when it's active... so you have 88 frames to react to move you know is coming. I'm confused as to why that's irrelevant... lol
You’re talking about punishing with lightning punch. You dont have 90 frames to punish is what im saying. Thats all.

Data needs to interperated differently for traps.

Teeth does not leave you open for the duration of 3 b3’s

Maybe im misinterpretating what you’re saying. I’d actually be interested to see a flash consistently punishing teeth, cause unless they’re sat waiting for it at the correct range and you’re being obvious about it you’ve not got a huge amount of time to punish, as far as traps go, teeth have pretty good recovery.

People get away with it at the pro level cancelling off random strings, yeah thats down to mu experience but still, if it was that slow to recover there would be no way it would go unpunished.

Last edited:

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
You’re talking about punishing with lightning punch. You dont have 90 frames to punish is what im saying. Thats all.

Data needs to interperated differently for traps.

Teeth does not leave you open for the duration of 3 b3’s

Maybe im misinterpretating what you’re saying. I’d actually be interested to see a flash consistently punishing teeth, cause unless they’re sat waiting for it at the correct range and you’re being obvious about it you’ve not got a huge amount of time to punish, as far as traps go, teeth have pretty good recovery.

People get away with it at the pro level cancelling off random strings, yeah thats down to mu experience but still, if it was that slow to recover there would be no way it would go unpunished.

Yeah you maybe misinterpreting what I'm saying and maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

What I'm saying is in neutral, flash will be waiting to see what joker does so he can react accordingly. Lightning punches is a fast move that has great range and can lead to a lot of damage. Throwing RAW teeth in neutral is a terrible idea when you are in the lightning punches range is what I'm saying. I've seen people say that teeth shuts down flashes mobility, restricting how he gets in and that's only partially true. What some people don't take into account is that they can actually punish teeth as they are being thrown out easy and on reaction.

Teeth in some MU's can be extremely annoying. However, people do indeed respect teeth way too much. While joker is throwing teeth out, he is extremely vulnerable to any attack and if your character has a forward advancing string or forward advancing special you, can easily punish joker for throwing teeth out without any repercussions.

Example:

Black Adam f12 string
Batman slide and forward headbutt string lol I forgot the name
Sub zero slide
Harley tantrum stance cancels
Supermans f23
Supergirls forward advancing string lol sorry I forgot the inputs
Scarecrows forward advancing strings

And those are to name a few.

There's only 3 of jokers strings that can cancel into teeth where he can block safely after canceling into teeth.

21 teeth- this string joker can't follow up but he can at least try to react to what his opponents going to do

212 teeth- this string I believe leaves joker at -2 after the teeth throw but there's not much push back so it can be challenged

113 teeth- if you somehow get someone to block this string, there's decent cancel advantage here but the push back of 3 doesn't allow joker to actually follow up.

Every other string that gets canceled into teeth is a gimmick that can be fully punished on reaction with ease so if you are falling for this then that's the players problem for not taking advantage of the opportunity, especially when you have a strong forward advancing string.

Even some throws can move you out of teeth explosion range.

Teeth are very useful but people really don't know the joker MU going into it and allow themselves to get opened up by gimmicks.

If you watch 2 high level joker players, you'll see how much we don't let each other get away with stuff

@Vex

Are you on ps4? I'll show you what I mean.

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah you maybe misinterpreting what I'm saying and maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

What I'm saying is in neutral, flash will be waiting to see what joker does so he can react accordingly. Lightning punches is a fast move that has great range and can lead to a lot of damage. Throwing RAW teeth in neutral is a terrible idea when you are in the lightning punches range is what I'm saying. I've seen people say that teeth shuts down flashes mobility, restricting how he gets in and that's only partially true. What some people don't take into account is that they can actually punish teeth as they are being thrown out easy and on reaction.

Teeth in some MU's can be extremely annoying. However, people do indeed respect teeth way too much. While joker is throwing teeth out, he is extremely vulnerable to any attack and if your character has a forward advancing string or forward advancing special you, can easily punish joker for throwing teeth out without any repercussions.

Example:

Black Adam f12 string
Batman slide and forward headbutt string lol I forgot the name
Sub zero slide
Harley tantrum stance cancels
Supermans f23
Supergirls forward advancing string lol sorry I forgot the inputs
Scarecrows forward advancing strings

And those are to name a few.

There's only 3 of jokers strings that can cancel into teeth where he can block safely after canceling into teeth.

21 teeth- this string joker can't follow up but he can at least try to react to what his opponents going to do

212 teeth- this string I believe leaves joker at -2 after the teeth throw but there's not much push back so it can be challenged

113 teeth- if you somehow get someone to block this string, there's decent cancel advantage here but the push back of 3 doesn't allow joker to actually follow up.

Every other string that gets canceled into teeth is a gimmick that can be fully punished on reaction with ease so if you are falling for this then that's the players problem for not taking advantage of the opportunity, especially when you have a strong forward advancing string.

Even some throws can move you out of teeth explosion range.

Teeth are very useful but people really don't know the joker MU going into it and allow themselves to get opened up by gimmicks.

If you watch 2 high level joker players, you'll see how much we don't let each other get away with stuff

@Vex

Are you on ps4? I'll show you what I mean.
I dont doubt most of this was just wanting clarification if you thought teeth had 90 frames before you recover.

I think the lightning punch is more of a read than reaction. In which case they’re being conditioned by it,

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I dont doubt most of this was just wanting clarification if you thought teeth had 90 frames before you recover.

I think the lightning punch is more of a read than reaction. In which case they’re being conditioned by it,
I mean I wouldn't think the people that were punishing my teeth throw with lightning punches were doong ot on read for 2 reasons. The first being, they were very consistent with it. Second being when you use lightning punches that's taking a big risk. Yeah lightning punches is fast but super punishable. I couldn't see any flash player attempting that move unless they were desperate or confident in their punish.