What's new

Joker... is he better than people think?

Hey guys,

So I've seen quite a few people boasting how joker is much better then the joker community leads him on to be.

Now I want to tag people in the joker community, but the problem is, jokers community is pretty much nonexistent at this point aside from a few people that rep the character.

So I've decided to take it to the community in general to talk about what people actually think about him.

Is joker secretly top tier?

Does he actually suck?

Can you say you actually understand the MU with your own character?

Are you actually getting outplayed by the joker player and just mad about it?

Can we support either claim with viable information and not "his zoning is godlike because his gun is so good" comments.

I really want this thread to be as informative as possible.

My personal opinion, joker is a solid character overall. His weaknesses do outweigh his strengths in a lot of MU's, however that doesn't mean he's bad. In comparison to his injustice 1 counterpart, he does WAY better in MU's in this game. He's a very difficult character to learn and master.

I think it's a universal understanding that Injustice 2 is one of the most balanced, if not most balanced fighter, NRS has made. 7-3s aren't really a common thing in this game outside of a few MU's.

Now when I say joker is a bottom tier character, I don't mean that he's a completely useless character. There's just more characters that can do things a lot better then he does.

Due to jokers archetype, it's really hard to balance him without making him broken in my opinion.

So I ask the test your might community, what do you think of Joker?

(Disclaimer: I know it's sometimes dangerous to ask questions like this but I ask that we all be civil.)
Joker is actually incredible in this game(if compared to IAGU) the problem is that he takes too much work to drive, and relies a little much on unfamiliarity which, for some, is the core of a fighting game. However, joker can walk you to the corner or out zone you (yes i know in NRS every character does one combo and you're in the corner.) he can't really play at neutral cause of his average speed normals and lack of range. He has normals with the speed of a Neutral heavy character like ninjutsu scorpion but with the range of a rushdown character like flash but without the speed. that's his major problem, he doesn't play into any really architype. sure, you can say set-up but... well he works too hard and that's not really a good thing in this game, just look at the top tier, they are all easy to play and you know what to do with them almost instantly. i like to consider myself a clean and efficient joker but i lost to a random joker online and it made me think i might not be playing him right.
sure you can point to stuff like his lack of anti airs(d2 isn't bad but it's not really good either), lack of a trait or slow high projectile among any number of problems you want to mention but everyone can complain about their character look at blue beetle and how they complained about his damage, Ivy and her lack of a wakeup (then) Or Batman and the j2 nerf .... but that's just my 2 cents.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Joker in general is a solid character the only problem is you have to know all of his tools not only that you need to know how to use them and when to use them when people say he's a difficult character they're not beating around the bush in any sense of the word he's one of the most difficult characters to use in his game however when he is used effectively he's damn scary especially when you know how to use push block, meter burn back and forward 3. That being said I still consider Joker a solid character decent zoning especially his meter burn gun which pretty much guarantees closing the distance to your opponent against who are trying to keep distance not only that but Joker has a very scary Corner game that can very easily take a life bar in 2 to 3 setups but that comes back to the one simple thing to Joker being difficult to use and if you can't use him to the full extent of his abilities you will not win with him against good players especially players that know how to get out of his teeth setups properly.
Now I'm no joker Main and all these comments of course are my opinion people are free to correct me specially those that main Joker this is just my giant ass paragraph on the subject :)

Joker in general is a solid character the only problem is you have to know all of his tools not only that you need to know how to use them and when to use them when people say he's a difficult character they're not beating around the bush in any sense of the word he's one of the most difficult characters to use in his game however when he is used effectively he's damn scary especially when you know how to use push block, meter burn back and forward 3. That being said I still consider Joker a solid character decent zoning especially his meter burn gun which pretty much guarantees closing the distance to your opponent against who are trying to keep distance not only that but Joker has a very scary Corner game that can very easily take a life bar in 2 to 3 setups but that comes back to the one simple thing to Joker being difficult to use and if you can't use him to the full extent of his abilities you will not win with him against good players especially players that know how to get out of his teeth setups properly.
Now I'm no joker Main and all these comments of course are my opinion people are free to correct me specially those that main Joker this is just my giant ass paragraph on the subject :)
you sound like you've only seen people play joker, if you've played him long enough you'll be pissed becuse of the work you hve to put in. then you'd still lose to a random flash online. or when you whiff MB bang!!!. or the worst... trying to anti air anyone that doesn't just jump half screen away.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
you sound like you've only seen people play joker, if you've played him long enough you'll be pissed becuse of the work you hve to put in. then you'd still lose to a random flash online. or when you whiff MB bang!!!. or the worst... trying to anti air anyone that doesn't just jump half screen away.
I've actually played him since launch untill they decided to change the input on his teeth since I absolutely detest down down motions in fighting games I dropped him but you're acting like I said he's some amazing character I said he was a solid character that's difficult to use that doesn't mean he doesn't get annihilated in certain matchups and if that is what you picked up and reading my post maybe I could of explain my opinion a little bit better so that would probably be my bad. that being said
I can't tell what you mean by a random flash but if you're facing a crappy Flash Player in your losing you are not playing the match up right However I truly believe that a good Flash Player will always beat a good Joker player sadly that's just the way things work out on this game sometimes however I traded in one headache for another as I'm now almost exclusively using Raphael ( oh god what the hell am I doing!!!!!!)

I've actually played him since launch untill they decided to change the input on his teeth since I absolutely detest down down motions in fighting games I dropped him but you're acting like I said he's some amazing character I said he was a solid character that's difficult to use that doesn't mean he doesn't get annihilated in certain matchups and if that is what you picked up and reading my post maybe I could of explain my opinion a little bit better so that would probably be my bad. that being said
I can't tell what you mean by a random flash but if you're facing a crappy Flash Player in your losing you are not playing the match up right However I truly believe that a good Flash Player will always beat a good Joker player sadly that's just the way things work out on this game sometimes however I traded in one headache for another as I'm now almost exclusively using Raphael ( oh god what the hell am I doing!!!!!!)
To be honest, i'm just frustrated with the character. when i play well it's like " Shit! joker is great'' but then you play a flash that doesn't have to hit confirm because of connection and you're like " i can't zone him out, i can't punish after guessing right, and why does he out damage me AND have a safe wake up???!!". so yeh i don't know how to play the match up. i'd love help. on how good he is depends on my mood to be honest, and i think it's cool you play Raph .... i don't envy you but like another joker player, i respect your confidence.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I think it's worth noting, that while Injustice 2 isn't "tHe MoSt BaLaNcEd GaMe EvAr" like some people think, it's close enough that somebody like Sonic can take wins with a character people don't lab MUs against.