What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Johnny Cage VS Reptile

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Time for some low tier talk now. These are two of the lesser used, but not less loved, characters in the game. They suffer from lack of mobility and a real zoning game, but when paired together things can get interesting.

Cage has a lot of options for AA countering here, including a great mixup and CQC game. Reptile will need to work in a lot of projectiles and his slide of course as jumping in here isn't too good of an idea. Even though both are low tier, Reptile is just so much lower than the others due to his poor zoning game and weak projectiles. Overall, I'd say Cage has this in the books by a margin of 6-4, maybe even 7-3.
  • What are the best offensive options for both characters?
  • How should they play defense?
  • Does Reptile's invisibility help him out much here?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Love this match so much with my boy Johnny. It's probably the only match in MK2 that Cage has an advantage in. Reptile doesn't have the weapons to scare Cage, and this allows JC to be super aggressive.

CAGE
Get in close and CQC Reptile to death. With the constant threat of his shadow kick, Cage is one of the scariest characters in the game up close. Add to that, his SUJK, good sweep and crouch punch, ballbreaker, leg uppercut, rising uppercut, and stomach jab (HP in close), and you have A LOT of options to mix up and confuse opponents with, especially Reptile. Chances are Reptile will try to stay as far away as possible. Trade projectiles with him and you'll come out ahead.

REPTILE
The only 2 things Reptile really has that will worry Cage are: his anti-air roundhouse, and his invisibility. Reptile invisible can really be a nightmare for Cage, because he has no way of finding Reptile. So definitely try to go and stay invisible with Reptile. Use the slide when you see Cage going into his animation for throwing green balls. As is almost always the strategy for Reptile, run away and try to play stealth while invisible.

I think that answered all 3 questions...
Honestly I've never played a set of this matchup vs anyone, so I'm not sure, but I'd say it's 6-4 or yes, possibly 7-3 for Cage.
I invited Doc Holiday to play a set of his Reptile vs my Cage a few weeks ago, but he declined, which sucks because that would have given me a good estimation of whether this match really is 6-4 for Cage or not.