What's new

Match Footage Johnny Cage Video Thread

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
This thread is intended to be for any new video footage Johnny Cage related. If you have match videos you would like to show off, combo videos, new technology, etc. Feel free to put it here.

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/b/301467295
December 2

Part 1
6:25 Maxter's JC vs Kt Smith's Kabal
19:30 Maxter's JC vs Kt Smith's smoke

Part 2
27:00 Tom brady's JC vs Maxter's sektor

Part 3
5:00 Maxter's JC vs scoot Magee's scorpion

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/b/302084009
December 8

Part 1
1:30:08 Maxter's JC vs Riu48's Jade
1:45:15 Maxter's JC vs Riu48's Kitana

Part 2
18:12 Riu48's JC vs Maxter's Raiden
26:15 JC mirror match Riu48 vs Maxter

I really recommend watching the mirror match. Both players show how ridiculous ex nut punch is.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
That Maxter corner combo (I think it was 21f2 2x5 f33 nutpunch) was dirty. Gotta try that one out.

What I noticed was the utilizing of a lot of one hit normals. Maxter loved doing F3 into D3. What I would never recommend is F33 though. Maxter did this a lot and F33 leaves you at -4. I also noticed that neither person did ex force balls too much. Mostly off a safe jump from a nut punch, or to try and close space. Me personally, I love spamming that ex force ball whenever I can. I wish they would use F33B3 ex force ball in the corner though.

[MENTION=2387]Couch Tomato[/MENTION] Tom Brady gives a pretty good explanation as to why after the set. I've yet to face a good sektor myself but just watching the match really makes it look like it's in Sektor's favor.

leek

Noob
What I noticed was the utilizing of a lot of one hit normals. Maxter loved doing F3 into D3. What I would never recommend is F33 though. Maxter did this a lot and F33 leaves you at -4. I also noticed that neither person did ex force balls too much. Mostly off a safe jump from a nut punch, or to try and close space. Me personally, I love spamming that ex force ball whenever I can. I wish they would use F33B3 ex force ball in the corner though.

[MENTION=2387]Couch Tomato[/MENTION] Tom Brady gives a pretty good explanation as to why after the set. I've yet to face a good sektor myself but just watching the match really makes it look like it's in Sektor's favor.
do you know specifically when? I watched maybe 4 matches in and I went to the mirror match..

I have and I totally agree with it being bad. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with saying 7-3 but not 5-5 at all. I did notice that they weren't using Ex-forceball as often either.. I think it should be used more/ex-shadow kick less than what brady was using it. Especially since flamethrower can cancel it out because of the random absence of armor towards 2/3rd's or 3/4th's screen.

I may have to steal that corner combo from Maxter though.. 21F2 2222 F33(B3?)~nutpunch was sick and for 44% damage for no meter, that seems the best option

After Tom Brady finished his session with Maxter, he gets on the mic and gives his opinion on the match up.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's more suited for the match up thread but I believe it's 5-5. This is after playing Sektroll (back when he still played at EVO) and Maxter in casuals. Sektor has nothing to easily get out of the corner, he gets beat badly by meaty D4's on knock down as well.

Fenro

Nordic myth
PTP league finals (winners finals & Grand finals) 29.10.2011

Casuals from Finland (4.1.2012) cage matches start after the first 3 rounds

Here's me playing a set with gamerblake's sonya. Note that this is online, so there's very few AAs going on plus I don't think i punished a single dive kick. Most of the times I got hit by MS mix ups was usually cuz i tried to D1 out of them.

I personally consider sonya to be a bad MU for JC. For the most part I'm proud of how I played, even if i jumped a lot.

XBLMindGamez So I watched your vid. I have to say you did fairly well. Your AAs were on point, which is a must for any JC player. I felt a lot of times you could have punished mid screen lightning with a shadow kick, perhaps you did try to do that but you got input error with F4. I saw you did ex flip kick once, I hope that was input error. You did a lot of F32 as a block string. Unless you're trying to bait out an armor move (which you probably did, since you blocked a lot after using that string), I always follow up with D1. I usually use that string to bait out jumps, which I can AA. You didn't use too much of JC's block string frame traps. I'm guessing it's cuz you were afraid of Rain's armor but your opponent almost never escaped your pressure with armor. Perhaps if you used ex force balls and 11F1, he would have respected your pressure enough to try and spend meter. Personally, against Rain, kenshi and sonya with no meter I go all out with ex force balls. Maybe if you forced him to use meter, you could have baited out a couple of ex round houses. I'm actually surprised the Rain player never used meter at all to escape pressure, regardless of frame traps.

Alot of times you did jip F4, which I would never recommend. You're pretty much giving up pressure for a chance at big damage. If you were really afraid of Rain's armor, I would have just done jip F33B3 for more chip. In fact, there's nothing wrong with ending pressure with F33B3 and putting yourself at mid screen. Because the string is neutral, you have mix up options with it: go into footsies or dash in F3. Also, you never used ex nut punch to reverse his rhc pressure. Even if he commits to the round house, you can still use ex nut punch to escape it. Another tip: if you looked at the JC info thread, you'd know that 11F1 works on a crouching rain. Again, if you already knew this you probably chose not to use it but seeing as how your opponent never used armor, you should have used it anyways. This was casuals, worry less about winning and more about improving, for your opponent and for yourself.

As for getting in on rain, i felt you played it very safe. Again, it was probably because you were respecting the B2 1+2 or 43 or ridiculous armor, but the way you approached felt really slow and safe. Nothing wrong with playing a little footsies, but against turtle characters you gotta get in some time. Mixing up your entry with fast and furious (dash in F3) and slow and steady (walk in, bait) would have been nice. Couple of ex force balls to get in would be one option.

But yeah, you played well for the most part, GG.

EDIT: Also, a lot of times you used 21F2 but missed the hit confirm. Always hit confirm when you use 21F2 because there's really nothing else you can do after except hit confirm.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
XBLMindGamez

Overall pretty good.

You were going kind of nuts in the beginning waking up with normal nut punch I think you realized it and stopped.

The only major problem was how you approached the Rain match up. Why respect the lightning so much that you have to inch in super slow? You can just dash block in or even just walk forward and react with a jump. Rain should not be able to zone out Cage like that, you can even trade force ball with lightning or bubble and it's in your favor.

P.S. Either this footage is old, you you were playing on a patch that is out-of-date. Nowadays F33 nut punch does 20%, not 22%. And AA D1, F3 nut punch does 11 not 13. I assume you just didn't realize it, otherwise you should have been abusing F32 nut punch :)

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Never noticed that before, disregard my PS then

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I just won a local tournament with Cage all the way through. I didn't play my best. But i will link the vids when they are uploaded.