What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage: Official Matchup Discussion

True, he mostly does it as a punish for whiffed pokes or normal "checks" (like throwing a standing 1 to keep him in place or something like that) its nuts!
youre just going to have to make the read and punish it. Sonic fox is one of those players that is confident enough to put risks on his reads.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
youre just going to have to make the read and punish it. Sonic fox is one of those players that is confident enough to put risks on his reads.
Is it much of a huge risk though? Its definitely a high ass reward being a 50% combo midscreen + reset chip damage

Armor, down 1 , or down 3. you dont want to stand up because 11f1 is plus on block giving cage a free fwd 3 so duck. when you duck look out for fwd 4, 2 1 fwd 2, and fwd 33 back 3. its all a big guessing game. if you see him begin to do any of those string you can stand up, and if he completes the string, then you're out of pressure because those string are negative on block. Just know your frame data and try to guess right or armor out. @Solo
Easier said than done..

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Haha. Well if you think he is going to EX cartwheel, do F3 buffering EX nutpunch and if you see the armor flash do it, otherwise dont. Thats the best anti sonya tech ive got and I learned it from @Maxter actually a long time ago. Very few cages use this but its quite hard to do.
I've been doing this ever since you taught me at evo 2012... Or was it waffles I can't remember lol

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
There's a height restriction, fastest it can come out is 10f from neutral jump or 11f from a diagonal jump. Somberness did the frame data for it. So you can beat it with standing 1 or f3 if your timing is on point. It will always beat your d3 though obviously, which is why I don't use d3 much in the up close game vs sonya.

Also, you can always punish her divekick with f33 nutpunch. Not sure if you can always get b3 or not.

Easier said than done..
Well yeah. I mean cage is going to be a pain when he gets in, he is suppose to be. But it's get easier to deal with with experience. Once u play cage players enough times to know what they like to do and when they like to do it. Someone on this forum can explain to you how to win in a certain mu in tons of detail and that will definately help a lot but at the end of the day you need experience to be able to read your opponent effectively and to learn. Don't get frustrated if ur losing alot in the mu, keep a cool head and keep playing it until you get better at it. Figure out what ur doing wrong and what u need to be doing right.

Well yeah. I mean cage is going to be a pain when he gets in, he is suppose to be. But it's get easier to deal with with experience. Once u play cage players enough times to know what they like to do and when they like to do it. Someone on this forum can explain to you how to win in a certain mu in tons of detail and that will definately help a lot but at the end of the day you need experience to be able to read your opponent effectively and to learn. Don't get frustrated if ur losing alot in the mu, keep a cool head and keep playing it until you get better at it. Figure out what ur doing wrong and what u need to be doing right.
But it depends on the character right? I main Mileena .....& also Reptile,Kitana,Scorpion,Ermac, Liu kang & Rain

Last edited:
But it depends on the character right? I main Mileena .....& also Reptile,Kitana,Scorpion,Ermac, Liu kang & Rain
Yes. Definately wouldn't use scorpion. Just in general and especially not against cage :p . As for milleena, I wouldn't be the greatest at explaining how to deal with cage from a milleena perspective. Maybe someone else on this forum is or maybe it's discussed in the milleena forum. But I'll tag a milleena player @SonicFox5000 could you explain how to play against cage with milleena.

SonicFox5000

The Best.
Yes. Definately wouldn't use scorpion. Just in general and especially not against cage :p . As for milleena, I wouldn't be the greatest at explaining how to deal with cage from a milleena perspective. Maybe someone else on this forum is or maybe it's discussed in the milleena forum. But I'll tag a milleena player @SonicFox5000 could you explain how to play against cage with milleena.
When you pick mileena, make sure you have thrown AT LEAST 100000 sais

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Online or offline what's the best punish(if you can) againist a reptile's dash elbow,no matter if its Ex.or not?

Online or offline what's the best punish(if you can) againist a reptile's dash elbow,no matter if its Ex.or not?
Offline I'd stick with f33 nutpunch. The F3 has the range to reach Reptile after blocking the dash.

Online it's tough to properly punish. You can try to do f33 nutpunch (or at least just go into f3 pressure if it doesn't hit). If it's impossible, usually I do uppercut or throw. Uppercut always seems like a solid punish, offline or online.

I've never really been able to get it down, but for ex dash you can do an ex nutpunch after blocking the first hit (when he goes past you). I think you can also maybe d1 too but I'm not totally sure. Reptile is +5 if you block all the hits so you have to respect his followup.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
using @crosstalk 's logic

offline you can punish with 21f2 or f3. I also like to challenge the dash sometimes with a shadow kick (the shadow kick will always win)

Online, gg brah.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Offline I'd stick with f33 nutpunch. The F3 has the range to reach Reptile after blocking the dash.

Online it's tough to properly punish. You can try to do f33 nutpunch (or at least just go into f3 pressure if it doesn't hit). If it's impossible, usually I do uppercut or throw. Uppercut always seems like a solid punish, offline or online.

I've never really been able to get it down, but for ex dash you can do an ex nutpunch after blocking the first hit (when he goes past you). I think you can also maybe d1 too but I'm not totally sure. Reptile is +5 if you block all the hits so you have to respect his followup.
Ok offline - F33 Nutpunch

Online - with Cage's uppercut is it because it has faster start-up or actually reptile's dash punch is negative on block?

Ok I'll respected there option.

Ok offline - F33 Nutpunch

Online - with Cage's uppercut is it because it has faster start-up or actually reptile's dash punch is negative on block?

Ok I'll respected there option.
Yeah Cage's uppercut is very fast (7 frames) and has a great hitbox on it. Reptile is -15 on a blocked dash so uppercut is a good option.