What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage changes 10/04/16

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
He needs a mid armor.

I don't even care if its safe.

What you have is a no mix-up character with a terrible air game and his only defensive tool being high where his best poke is -7 and has bad range.

I am deadly serious when I say he might be bottom 3 in his current state. I can't think of a defensively worse character at the moment.

Meanwhile Unbreakable is rolling around with 50/50s, a safe mid ice burst which (AAs) and a double hitting armor LOW* slide that LAUNCHES if he has aura up.

Somebody at NRS hates Johnny.

He needs a mid armor.

What you have is a no mix-up character with a terrible air game and his only defensive tool being high where his best poke is -7 and has bad range.

I am deadly serious when I say he might be bottom 3 in his current state. I can't think of a defensively worse character at the moment.

Meanwhile Unbreakable is rolling around with 50/50s, a safe mid ice burst which (AAs) and a double hitting armor LOW* slide that LAUNCHES if he has aura up.

We all knew this was going to happen though with all the whining about his + on block stuff.

I feel like the stamina nerf and the cancel nerf were too much together honestly, and I would of preferred instead of taking armor off of ex nutpunch to make it like its mk9 counterpart and then burn an extra bar of meter for a launcher and have ex SK with 1 armor hit.

You were wrong dude, the sky IS falling.

Props to you for being optimistic though.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
He needs a mid armor.

I actually never expected that fisticuffs could be in consideration for best variation but...here we are lol.

Having a high as only armor sucks, yes.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
So I was messing around with SD Cage and found this. This is a neat way to make it setup the mimics and make it more plus when block but I have yet to experiment with much else to give Johnny more plus frames, gonna get hit with a hurricane soon so I'll be out for 2 days

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
We all knew this was going to happen though with all the whining about his + on block stuff.

I feel like the stamina nerf and the cancel nerf were too much together honestly, and I would of preferred instead of taking armor off of ex nutpunch to make it like its mk9 counterpart and then burn an extra bar of meter for a launcher and have ex SK with 1 armor hit.

You were wrong dude, the sky IS falling.

Props to you for being optimistic though.
I was strictly responding to the whole Cage offense that everyone was saying is dead. His kit offensively especially in Fisticuffs is not the best; but do-able. A-list is underwhelming but not absolutely useless and SD will need a lot of work. Fisticuffs is lao, without amazing defence or a teleport, your opponent plays spot the grab.

However defensively, under pressure I feel extremely disadvantaged. Pre-patch cyrax could at least get out of pressure with armor on a read. As it stands currently a shinnok mashing d4 hellsparks against you in the corner or kitana's d3 spam is going to feel really bad :(

ismael4790

Cage sucks on knockdown. His wakeup game is so abusable now. I think they should have at least kept the armor on EX flipkick so he has another option.

Still gonna keep playing this character though.
Agree, there is no reason for exflipkick not having armor. It just does 12%, same as shadowkick, and at least it's a mid, it would be good for crossups.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
SD got hit hard there is no denying and i have no idea why outside of the HTBs, id much rather combo msk than armour, but hay atleast its his variation where he has a plus on block mid armour
but i'll probably only pick this variation against GM now.

but as a whole i personally think Cage is fine and absolutely fits in to this new meta

Cage players who relied on Ex NP to take their turn back is going to struggle a lot.

but since throws can now be utilised much more risk free. that automatically benefits Cage.
just sharing my opinion.

I do not think Cage as a whole is near dead honestly.

having no mid armour is cool by me
mean for most cases someone be mashing poke to go under EX SK if they do that ill block and take my turn back

where exactly would i place him? i honestly cant tell ill come back in a few weeks with my verdict but in theory he feels absolutely fine to me

Last edited:

ismael4790

SD got hit hard there is no denying and i have no idea why outside of the HTBs, id much rather combo msk than armour, but hay atleast its his variation where he has a plus on block mid armour
but i'll probably only pick this variation against GM now.

but as a whole i personally think Cage is fine and absolutely fits in to this new meta

Cage players who relied on Ex NP to take their turn back is going to struggle a lot.

but since throws can now utilised much more risk free automatically benefits Cage.
just sharing my opinion.

I do not think Cage as a whole is near dead honestly.

having no mid armour is cool by me
mean for most cases someone be mashing poke to go under EX SK if they do that ill block and take my turn back
What they did to Stunt double is criminal man... completely unjustified. A small reduction in the + frames of mimic kick and hard to block removal was all this variation needed.

Could a fast poke recover in time to punish exkick up close..? Never seen that situation before, since people feared the exnut.

IrishMantis

What they did to Stunt double is criminal man... completely unjustified. A small reduction in the + frames of mimic kick and hard to block removal was all this variation needed.

Could a fast poke recover in time to punish exkick up close..? Never seen that situation before, since people feared the exnut.
I did test actually. SD is still plus like 13 from the Ex MRS
so F3 MRS F3 msk is a true block string

but listen im not even too pissed at that since armour is less of a dominant feature in this game, im more pissed at msk does not launch in the corner. i can see why because they dont want a launching armour but they could of at least left the raw msk the way it was and have the ex not launch

or even have the the ex only have armour on Wake up

or hell no armour at all that would of being better as other than a wake up option the armour is redundant and let us keep the corner combo

edit: you can even still HTB with SD is just that the opponent has an escape window so it became a mix up

Bait escape attempt or attempt HTB.
but honestly this not how i want to play SD

Last edited:
I did test actually. SD is still plus like 13 from the Ex MRS
so F3 MRS F3 msk is a true block string

but listen im not even too pissed at that since armour is less of a dominant feature in this game, im more pissed at msk does not launch in the corner. i can see why because they dont want a launching armour but they could of at least left the raw msk the way it was and have the ex not launch

or even have the the ex only have armour on Wake up

or hell no armour at all that would of being better as other than a wake up option the armour is redundant and let us keep the corner combo
I was waiting to hear your input Mantis, absolutely love your SD. I feel like I've been able to meter manage better not having an armored launcher. I didn't realize how much I relied on it. I haven't felt the nerf hammer as much as others but I'm also a scrub. Cheers!!!

IrishMantis

I was waiting to hear your input Mantis, absolutely love your SD. I feel like I've been able to meter manage better not having an armored launcher. I didn't realize how much I relied on it. I haven't felt the nerf hammer as much as others but I'm also a scrub. Cheers!!!
No worries man

this is just my take as of now so it is possible i can come back and say SD is actually godlike or i could come back and and say youw here all right and Cage is dead haha

but in anyway man cheers, you need any help or shot just hit me up bro.

A scrub who is admits they are a scrub and are aware of their weakness automatically levels them up from a scrub to me ;P

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
No worries man

this is just my take as of now so it is possible i can come back and say SD is actually godlike or i could come back and and say youw here all right and Cage is dead haha

but in anyway man cheers, you need any help or shot just hit me up bro.

A scrub who is admits they are a scrub and are aware of their weakness automatically levels them up from a scrub to me ;P
Had a wonderful moment last night playing fistibuffs.

Played against a Wargod and a Cutthroat back to back. You could tell the players I was against "thought" they were good; but in reality they had no spacing and couldn't rely on the old easy tactics for free wins.

Didn't drop a game in 30 matches, as fisticuffs, just using good spacing and conditioning the opponent.

It felt awesome.

F3 into exbuffs (d4) or (f24) is super good at the moment (not many poking out) if the d4 lands you can run up throw or B121 and thats a mind game in itself.

Also B1 by itself into throw or another b1 is a crazy stagger

Last edited:

Fredrick Cage

Ed Boon: It's nerf, or nothin'.
Hi there,

As a Johnny Cage main, the new updates really seem awesome!

(If your a fucking Kitana player.)

Buy d'ah, things were a lot different for Johnny's mind. So, he did get a buff on Fisticuffs, and.. It just seems that some things are well, and mostly are bad.
Before the update, I gotta say. I was a dick when it came to the 'dick' punch. Oh-hoh, especially when it came to me getting my ass handled, I would always armor my way out with the nut-punch.

Now, I see the things that.. He still has armor, and such. But.. Without the launch with the BD3, then.. Aheh, it's kinda ass for me. I'm a Stunt Double player too, so ah'..
Things I guess are good? We now have armor on the shadow clones! Well.. It's shadow kick at least, aheh.

I may not be the one to brag and all, but.. I really enjoyed the nut-punch thing, and that's really all to brag for. Aheh, glad enough to say too.

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
Hi there,

As a Johnny Cage main, the new updates really seem awesome!

(If your a fucking Kitana player.)

Buy d'ah, things were a lot different for Johnny's mind. So, he did get a buff on Fisticuffs, and.. It just seems that some things are well, and mostly are bad.
Before the update, I gotta say. I was a dick when it came to the 'dick' punch. Oh-hoh, especially when it came to me getting my ass handled, I would always armor my way out with the nut-punch.

Now, I see the things that.. He still has armor, and such. But.. Without the launch with the BD3, then.. Aheh, it's kinda ass for me. I'm a Stunt Double player too, so ah'..
Things I guess are good? We now have armor on the shadow clones! Well.. It's shadow kick at least, aheh.

I may not be the one to brag and all, but.. I really enjoyed the nut-punch thing, and that's really all to brag for. Aheh, glad enough to say too.
Didn't you... didn't you make a thread like that the other day?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I've been an SD main since day one and now I just dont play with him at all. I would have been willing to work with the variation to figure out the new game plan had this patch dropped 6 months ago, but now I just dont see why I should put in the effort. I seriously dont want to re-learn my character AND all of his matchups this late in the game's life.

Now I just play full time Bartitsu because they didnt massively overhaul the way the character works. I'm with Metroid on this one. Johnny is dead.

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
I've been an SD main since day one and now I just dont play with him at all. I would have been willing to work with the variation to figure out the new game plan had this patch dropped 6 months ago, but now I just dont see why I should put in the effort. I seriously dont want to re-learn my character AND all of his matchups this late in the game's life.

Now I just play full time Bartitsu because they didnt massively overhaul the way the character works. I'm with Metroid on this one. Johnny is dead.
Well.. at least SD is... I wouldn't go as far as to say johnny overall is dead.