What's new

John Tobias - Mortal Kombat Co-Creator Interview

Who here misses John Tobias' impact on the Mortal Kombat series?

Learn all about how he helped create the original MK titles in this exclusive podcast interview. John talks about his fave characters, influences on the games and what it was like working with Ed Boon.

Who here misses John Tobias' impact on the Mortal Kombat series?

Learn all about how he helped create the original MK titles in this exclusive podcast interview. John talks about his fave characters, influences on the games and what it was like working with Ed Boon.

i do . post-tobias characters never had the same vibe again. (even though chars like kenshi and quan chi are really good, but they're like 1 in 5-10))

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
He did create a franchise as well as others on the team in the early days that still exist. So I do hope he is still doing well and possibly getting some royalties for the characters he created and such, but maybe not since WB owns it. However, like him and many others we have to eventually move on. It's like I always say...sometimes "Leaving is the Only Way Out"

who knows...hey may eventually come back in some capacity.

Not sure why Tobias hasn’t come back or whatsoever, maybe his own decision? I still think the series was at its best when Tobias was involved. Lore, characters and most of all, VIBES. But than again MK DA and Deception are one of my favorites too (Not sure about the team making DA and D all from scrap tho, looks more like Armageddon was their new take on MK?)

What i miss most are the vibes. Not the nostalgia but the art -style, music.. i could loose myself for hours in the krypt, menu’s, character profiles, conquest all of that. It all had that MK IDENTITY that seems a bit lost nowdays. Maybe im fooling myself by thinking that J. Tobias would bring that back.. i learned that the actors had alot of good influences too!

BSJeebus

Future Karate Expert
Not sure why Tobias hasn’t come back or whatsoever, maybe his own decision? I still think the series was at its best when Tobias was involved. Lore, characters and most of all, VIBES. But than again MK DA and Deception are one of my favorites too (Not sure about the team making DA and D all from scrap tho, looks more like Armageddon was their new take on MK?)

What i miss most are the vibes. Not the nostalgia but the art -style, music.. i could loose myself for hours in the krypt, menu’s, character profiles, conquest all of that. It all had that MK IDENTITY that seems a bit lost nowdays. Maybe im fooling myself by thinking that J. Tobias would bring that back.. i learned that the actors had alot of good influences too!
I agree with this. MK 2011 was pretty good presentation wise. But MKX & 11 feel incredibly... Sterile? compared to the older titles (even if they are much more technically impressive).

I agree with this. MK 2011 was pretty good presentation wise. But MKX & 11 feel incredibly... Sterile? compared to the older titles (even if they are much more technically impressive).
MK9 brought all of us back. It had that MK identity but a bit downgraded. Mkx and mk11 lost the MK identity the most. Looked more like a super heroes gun and gadget fighter inspired by modern tech and norse mythology. Not a bad thing, just not my cup of tea. Especially not as a long time MK fan.

Id love to see more hand to hand combat, less special forces, more eastern inspired villains, less norse mythology, more dark and creepy ambiance, less dc universe-like ambiance..

This is just talking about presentation. Not to mention gameplay and lore…

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

MK 3D was peak mortal kombat music.

I really wish they had stick with that formula, sadly it downgraded from there, but MKX and MK11 has a very few rare gems, but not on the vibe that MK3D era brought.

I didn’t read anything (I’m illiterate :(… ) but I wish this dude would get back to adding to the mk mythology. It needs him. Kronika time travel is the story telling equivalent of trying to suck your own dick. And fuck the extra super duper special big time titan bullshit. Elder gods are enough.

i know he shit the bed with mk special forces and his weird ass not mk fighting game, but he’s gotta be wiser now. If him and the mkx comic writer bounced ideas off each other oooooooh my gaaaaaawd

The writer for the Mortal Kombat X comics was the lead writer for the Mortal Kombat 11 Story Mode (but not "Aftermath")...
oh shit you don’t say. While I didn’t hate mk11’s story mode, when I read that dragon king mk tournament thing he wanted to do I much preferred to see that. Hope they still do it I guess.

oh shit you don’t say. While I didn’t hate mk11’s story mode, when I read that dragon king mk tournament thing he wanted to do I much preferred to see that. Hope they still do it I guess.
Yes, Shawn was the lead writer on Mortal Kombat 11 (but not the "Aftermath" expansion). He was also very clear that his comic sequel idea was declined and will not be happening. He himself has moved on to his own stuff and is no longer contracted by NetherRealm Studios.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I listened to this on YouTube awhile ago it was pretty awesome where I left a comment saying “I always thought John Tobias was the soul of Mortal Kombat.” Which is true.