What's new

Joe Taslim confirms Lewis Tan is playing Cole Turner in the new film

COLE TURNER
Lead Male. 30s. A brand new character to the MK franchise. Cole is a struggling and widowed boxer who cares more about his young daughter than anything. He is incredibly determined and refuses to quit in the face of fantastical adversity.
Sounds like they wanted an audience POV character... Which is kinda already Johnny Cage's schtick (just way more fun and interesting).

The R rating is the only thing that gives me hope at this point.

Art Lean

Noob
This is like when fanfic writers force their OC's into an already established world. Like Art Lean in the first movie. Let's hope he'll share the same fate as Art did.
How dare you! :p

I don't mind original characters if they're on the sidelines, like I actually enjoyed Art Lean's presence because it actually fleshed out the world building in terms of it representing some of the best martial artists from around the world competing in a tournament. Likewise, I enjoyed meeting Johnny's sensei (well, sort of...), Liu's grandfather, seeing one of Shang's monks fighting Liu etc; gave it that classic Bloodsport feeling of the tournament is much bigger than our main characters (in fact I'd have liked to have briefly encountered a few more of the dozens of every-day Earthrealm fighters getting off the dragon boats to be honest). That way you can kill of a good guy without having to murder a beloved main character; the key point was that they were nice little roles that just gave the main characters and tournament a bit of a larger scope.

In fact this is a point of why MK '95 worked so well (yes I know it's cheesy pulpy trash, but it works and has a good character ensemble) because it knew to not overload the plot with characters; it went for a classic martial arts tournament movie structure and did it perfectly serviceably and just brought in a few new side characters to flesh out the world.

Mortal Kombat Annihilation on the other hand threw in every character they could from MKs 2-UMK3, with even two from MK4, for no reason other than to flood the screen with a relentlessly obnoxious attitude of "HERE ARE CHARACTERS YOU KNOW!!!! DOESN'T MATTER WHY THEY'RE HERE, HERE'S MORE CHARACTERS YOU KNOW!!!!"

Mortal Kombat 1995 had 12 characters from the games with a few outsider original characters to expand their world and for me felt just right... Mortal Kombat Annihilation on the other hand had 24 characters from the games, everyone was connected, characters perform random plot roles without any explanation, and the movie is an utter a mess. And they also murdered Johnny Cage.

So I'm not against any original characters being in the movie, however in spite of what I've said above, if this is going to be an Alice in Resident Evil situation, where they introduce a new main character for no logical reason, well then I won't be keen.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't understand why it's so difficult for writers to stick to source material. Always adding characters, changing characters etc. It's so dumb if you ask me.

Resistible

MK fan since '92
COLE TURNER
Lead Male. 30s. A brand new character to the MK franchise. Cole is a struggling and widowed boxer who cares more about his young daughter than anything. He is incredibly determined and refuses to quit in the face of fantastical adversity.
KANO
Supporting Lead Male. 30s. The large, rugged Australian ex-special forces turned merc-for-hire. He is arrogant and impetuous but a tremendous fighter.
SONYA BLADE
Supporting Lead Female. 30s. The beautiful, brainy blonde writer who chases the prophecy of Mortal Kombat. She recruits Cole and fights bravely and selflessly for a team she can only be a true part of once she earns a medallion in combat.
JIN/LORD RAIDEN
Male. 14. The immortal thunder God and protector of the Earth realm, who leads and trains the Earth team in the Underworld.
MILEENA
Female. 25-35. A drop dead gorgeous woman that is part of the Outworld side. She wears a sheer gown over thigh-high boots and a revealing one-piece, with a veil that covers her nose and mouth.
JACKSON “JAX” BRIDGES
Male. 30-40. “Jax” is a strapping mercenary/military officer who loses both of his hands in an attack and then joins Sonya and Cole to fight the Outworld.
LIU KANG
Male. 20-35. A fire throwing ninja warrior who is a talented Earth realm champion.
KUNG LAO
Male. 25-35. The mute warrior monk brother of Liu Kang, who yields an all powerful boomerang hat.
SHANG TSUNG
Male. No age specified. The great sorcerer of Outworld, whose presence is a storm cloud of dark energy. His ever-changing roulette of faces unfurls an evil smile.
DRAHMIN
Male. 25-35. An Oni devil mask over his face, his body is composed of twisted sinewy skin, a heavy spiked club replaces one arm.
KABAL
Male. 25-35. An evil assassin of Outworld, he is outfitted in a black armored vest and trench coat. His entire head is covered by a scarred black respirator. His signature weapons are two razor-sharp hook swords.
NITARA
Female. 25-35. A black-haired vampire of Outworld. Two massive leathery batwings protrude from her bare shoulders. Fresh blood drips from her fangs.
REIKO
Male. 25-40. An armor-clad Outworld General with white glowing eyes. He drags a massive war hammer with him.
THE OVERSEER
Male. Late 80’s. The overseer of the clock tower and the training grounds that house the Earth realm warriors, he is laughably old.
EMILY
Female. 12. Cole’s scrappy, determined, and wise-beyond-her-years daughter.
SOPHIA
Female. 60s. Cole’s understanding, discerning mother-in-law who houses Emily and is her primary guardian.
JESS
Female. 30-35. Cole’s judgmental sister-in-law, who believes Cole to be a selfish, bad father. She lives with Sophia and Emily
Du-hd.com source

It is easy as fuck to do an MK1 based movie especially when you add in Jax and Kitana. All the original movie lacked was Scorpion vs Subzero which is a major thing for MK1 next to the Kano plot and the main plot of Shang and Goro.

But nah lol lets make OCs the audience will not give a shit about and then pluck random characters like Drahmin, Kabal, Mileena, Nitara and fucking Reiko.

It amazes me how uncreative Hollywood is and yet at the same time have a need to change something thats not theirs ie scripts for games and anime. Is it arrogance? Embarassment? A lack of understanding of the material?

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Jackson Jax "Bridges"? I call bullshit. I'm hyped for Nitara, Mileena and Drahmin though. Interesting choice of roster.

Art Lean

Noob
Only just seen that character list... ugh. Just ugh.

Reiko? Nitara? Kabal is an assassin for Outworld? The Overseer? NO Johnny Cage, Scorpion and Sub Zero? Jax's name is Bridges? Kang and Lao are literal brothers? Shang Tsung "is a storm cloud of dark energy"? "Cole’s scrappy, determined, and wise-beyond-her-years daughter."

FFS :coffee:

I'll watch it with an open mind, after all I actually really enjoyed MK Rebirth and that was totally "out there", but I dunno, this is starting to sound like Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li levels of nonsense.

Wish this was coming from Kevin Tancharoen, the way he tackled the backgrounds of characters such as Scorpion and Sub Zero I thought was almost utterly perfect. I even loved the Rayden episode, had great wit to it, with a lovely Big Trouble in Little China vibe at the end. This is sounding like it's going to be a very ugly mess and not very "Mortal Kombat" to say the least.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
story takes places after mk11 in a newly created universe. mk12 cole turner cover man and replacement for scorpion...
:DOGE

Art Lean

Noob
Hang on, one of the hashtags in that photo is Bi Han, so is the older Sub Zero in it then? That cast list says no?