What's new

Question - Johnny Cage JC/Kung Jin match-up help?

Based Cages, please help me beat this character. In his Bojutsu variation, he has safe 50/50s with no meter and high damage, and his BF3 is insane on wake up, so I can't successfully pressure him without eating one of those, and now they say that he can stuff armored wake-ups too. He's scary as hell, and I don't know what to do against him.

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
I'm not a johnny main, but i did main kj for a week lol. If he's waking up with bf3, then just bait that shit and full combo punish. Also, I find that if you let the kung jin player dictate the pace of the match (play defensive) then he can be damn near unbeatable. Force him to come at you and make mistakes. Walk back and be patient. Get him to jump in and whiff attacks and then whiff punish him hard. Don't let him get away with bow swing and bow swat on block. You can punish the hell out of those. Most kj players I've played are on auto pilot and don't even try to hit confirm the swat or swing. Use that to your advantage. Also, use interactable corner escapes, kj corner game is stupid good. That's about all I can think of, other than that, may God have mercy on your soul lol ;)

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Try ending your combos in restands-- Kung Jin's best reversal is a 6 frame down + 1 button, he loses when characters get inside his Bow's range, I think.

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
I'm not a johnny main, but i did main kj for a week lol. If he's waking up with bf3, then just bait that shit and full combo punish. Also, I find that if you let the kung jin player dictate the pace of the match (play defensive) then he can be damn near unbeatable. Force him to come at you and make mistakes. Walk back and be patient. Get him to jump in and whiff attacks and then whiff punish him hard. Don't let him get away with bow swing and bow swat on block. You can punish the hell out of those. Most kj players I've played are on auto pilot and don't even try to hit confirm the swat or swing. Use that to your advantage. Also, use interactable corner escapes, kj corner game is stupid good. That's about all I can think of, other than that, may God have mercy on your soul lol ;)
Can you elaborate on defeating that never ending chip damage string that (most) players enhance halfway through? Also with JC's T-rex arms and 1 crappy forward advancing normal, how the hell do you play footies with this guy? His range is STUPID good and if he see's a poke coming dive kick into full combo. Any help you can give me on how to defeat this monster will be most appreciated

his neutral jump punch and instant jump forward 2 are extremely hard to deal with as JC. SO hard to antiair instant jumpforward 2

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Only thing I've noticed is you can honestly zone him out. Especially A-List. He doesn't do well vs zoners, and Cage has very underrated fireballs. When he gets in, and he will that's ok, that's where we shine. I honestly don't even think we lose this MU, just have to play it careful. As @Forbidden_Donut stated, most are on auto pilot and will spam the BF3. Wait for that whiff punish and wait for the instant jumping 2

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
1. You can duck bf3. Just don't block, goes right over. Punish with Shadow Kick.
2. Do not try to outfootsie Kung Jin, Sonya and Liu Kang are the only ones that can try. Learn his spacing and punish when you feel comfortable. Most Kung Jin players get too antsy about jumping in - backdash and punish.
3. You always have to be aware of a KJ's meter, if you are caught slipping, you're catching a (what should be) mb bo swing to the face that tanks a hit. Neutral Jumping is effective for this as the armor doesn't tank air attacks.
4. Kung Jin does not lose in "closer than bo reach", he still has a 11 that's 9 frame start-up and is 0 on block, 34 on hit. This can lead to overhead or low that are both safe and he can end with db4 for an overhead, splat ender.

Your best bet is to play slow, stay just out of jump in range and punish. Remember, his divekick doesn't angle very well, it's basically 45 degree angle. So It's flight path is damn near equal to just jumping in.

Best of luck.