What's new

Jaxs seems a little underrated.

Jax has such a diverse skill set that I think he is the rushdown sleeper kind of like shang tsung was the sleeper zoner.

Do you guys happen to know what patches he has coming?

And why is it that nightwolf gets priority over jax?

hardwire

Noob
Jax has such a diverse skill set that I think he is the rushdown sleeper kind of like shang tsung was the sleeper zoner.

Do you guys happen to know what patches he has coming?

And why is it that nightwolf gets priority over jax?
i think jax is a damn good fighter if you are patient with him

what do you mean nightwolf gets priority?

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Jax isn't even in the same league as Nightwolf. Nightwolf can do 1/3 life damage combos with practical setups. Jax can't. Nightwolf can reflect projectiles to fight zoners. Jax can't. Nightwolf has axe anti-air and counter. Jax doesn't. Nightwolf has a fast unblockable that is practical. Jax doesn't.

Jax isn't underrated. He sucks. I've wasted more hours trying to get Jax to work than Baraka and Sheeva combined. After the patch, he's viable because of the armored enhanced punch and pound cancel improvements. Until then, he rightfully deserves to be called a garbage character. Lowest damage output in the entire game without a ground pound (which should never land) and a corner.

i think jax is a damn good fighter if you are patient with him

what do you mean nightwolf gets priority?
Meaning he gets priority in tier lists by a long shot.

Jax isn't even in the same league as Nightwolf. Nightwolf can do 1/3 life damage combos with practical setups. Jax can't. Nightwolf can reflect projectiles to fight zoners. Jax can't. Nightwolf has axe anti-air and counter. Jax doesn't. Nightwolf has a fast unblockable that is practical. Jax doesn't.

Jax isn't underrated. He sucks. I've wasted more hours trying to get Jax to work than Baraka and Sheeva combined. After the patch, he's viable because of the armored enhanced punch and pound cancel improvements. Until then, he rightfully deserves to be called a garbage character. Lowest damage output in the entire game without a ground pound (which should never land) and a corner.
How do you think he will stack up against nightwolf post patch?

Gotcha

Noob

everythings right, but i wuoldnt say he has the lowest damage input, you just have to make sure if you get a ground pound off either A:combo them off the ground pound or B:Do an Ex ground pound after a normal ground pound for the extra %. And I LOVE THE CORNER. Have you seen the 140% in the corner??? I wouldnt say he has low damage output in the corner, i think he has everyone beat in that (i know you have to have like 3 bars for the 140, but you can do something like 'F+4xxElbow drop,Ex ground pound,1,1,1,2,1,2,1,2,Gotcha Grab' when you add it all up its atleast 56%+ it takes some work to get it down but its worth it.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
@Gotcah: Getting any ground pound off in offline play is VEEEERY difficult against competent opponent. He telegraphs the move for an eternity.

Jax is way more viable online where the opponents reaction time is stunted, but offline. Shit sux hard.

@Gotcah: Getting any ground pound off in offline play is VEEEERY difficult against competent opponent. He telegraphs the move for an eternity.

Jax is way more viable online where the opponents reaction time is stunted, but offline. Shit sux hard.
Hmm ... that could be why I thought he was viable ...

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Assuming Nightwolf stays the same, he will still be a better character than Jax. This has a lot to do with Jax's style being flawed in the MK engine. He is a low damage output character that fights point blank. Even though the pound cancel and armored dash punch allow him to play his game more easily, it is still a fundamentally flawed game. Characters that win with a constant low damage harassment end up losing in the long run because it gives the opponent A LOT of meter. Combine this with his need to be up close and it is a recipe of zone and break by the opponent. And don't even compare his enhanced dash punch to a Kung Lao Enhanced Teleport. Both moves get in, but Kung Lao's is MUCH MUCH better.

Nightwolf, however, is a strong character because, like Sub Zero, can do everything. I personally find Sub Zero to be an overrated character and think Nightwolf is THE true sleeper character in the game, not Jax, by a long shot, pre or post patch.

Assuming Nightwolf stays the same, he will still be a better character than Jax. This has a lot to do with Jax's style being flawed in the MK engine. He is a low damage output character that fights point blank. Even though the pound cancel and armored dash punch allow him to play his game more easily, it is still a fundamentally flawed game. Characters that win with a constant low damage harassment end up losing in the long run because it gives the opponent A LOT of meter. Combine this with his need to be up close and it is a recipe of zone and break by the opponent. And don't even compare his enhanced dash punch to a Kung Lao Enhanced Teleport. Both moves get in, but Kung Lao's is MUCH MUCH better.

Nightwolf, however, is a strong character because, like Sub Zero, can do everything. I personally find Sub Zero to be an overrated character and think Nightwolf is THE true sleeper character in the game, not Jax, by a long shot, pre or post patch.
This I agree with. I am studying nightwolf to main him eventually, and jax seemed like a good natural alt. But the more I read, the more wrong I seem.

Edit: LOL and now nightwolfs throw is unsafe ... now I have no idea who to play, rofl.

You have better options than throwing with Nightwolf. Really, you have better options than throwing with anyone...its just good if you don't think they'll expect it. Nightwolf has so many options just to START with...Hatchet, Charge, Command Grab, Ex Lightning...imo, you should save your meter for breakers and Ex Lightning. Forget the X-Ray unless you want to finish them with unbreakable damage. The random charge strategy has worked well for me so far...once they start ducking, I pull out the Ex Lightning combos. Both Charge and Ex Lightning are beast on wake-up...I agree with the statement that Nightwolf and Sub Zero can take the entire cast pretty evenly, and I don't think Nightwolf has as much of a problem with Noob as Sub does so he gets extra kudos there.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Kung Lao's EX teleport is much easier to react to than Jax's buffed EX dash punch.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The only thing I'd do to Jax now is make f413 launch high enough for a dash punch. Tbh, that's all you'd need to do to him and he'd be fine. I think once players start to really incorporate his guessing game of a throw into their arsenal, he'll become much more solid.

The only thing I'd do to Jax now is make f413 launch high enough for a dash punch. Tbh, that's all you'd need to do to him and he'd be fine. I think once players start to really incorporate his guessing game of a throw into their arsenal, he'll become much more solid.
I agree, and I wish the recovery on his dash punch was a bit shorter so you could use as an alternate to the double tap since the range on it isn't terribly long compared to some of the other characters rushes. Similar to Wolverine's drill claw.

Ironically, of all the toons I have played in my attempt to find a main, Jax has the best win ratio O_O ... either I suck at this game or I just jive with jax and need to develop some good tech for him.

Griefa

Noob
My only problem with the new jax is that you cant do fake gp's online. The input delay will have you getting wakeup attacked before you can block cancel. Aside from that I think he is fine.

To be honest, I kind of like Jax not having much in the way of mid-screen pop-ups and would rather he make up for it in other ways, like having a faster Overhead Smash and not having to whiff the first hit of both of his overhead strings on crouching opponents, for example. Perhaps make some of his strings a bit faster as well, or allow moves to be cancelled into ground pound. But I like the low damage, good mix-up idea.