What's new

Jax Question and Answer thread

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
Still consider my skill level a day1 Jax, and have a couple of q's:

- When learning the corner reset, is ending each string in OS mandatory? Or is it possible to end in Gotcha Grab and still continue the reset?

- People say that Jax beats Kabal but I don't really see it. What should I be exploiting in this matchup? (if wrong thread, sorry)

- Are there any real uses for the AA grab and EX AA grab? I'd assume once your Jax is solid enough you'd rather just AA w 1 and combo from there.

Still consider my skill level a day1 Jax, and have a couple of q's:

- When learning the corner reset, is ending each string in OS mandatory? Or is it possible to end in Gotcha Grab and still continue the reset?

- People say that Jax beats Kabal but I don't really see it. What should I be exploiting in this matchup? (if wrong thread, sorry)

- Are there any real uses for the AA grab and EX AA grab? I'd assume once your Jax is solid enough you'd rather just AA w 1 and combo from there.
I've only been playing Jax for a short time.

For the corner reset with ex GP, OS is required. You can still end combos in other ways, and try a regular GP when they're grounded. This may catch the opponent off guard. Or you can go for a regular GP after grounding them, cancel it, and go for more pressure. Jax has a ton of options in the corner.

The MU doesn't seem terrible for Jax, but as for numbers, who knows? Jax's fast projectile and GPs can keep Kabal in check fullscreen. Against iaFB spam though, I don't think you can do much (never fought a Kabal that spams it). Midscreen, EX dash punch is a really good tool against Kabal's zoning, and forces him to respect it. Jax's hitbox eliminates most of Kabal's pressure options, and I believe he can only do F32 NDC pressure on Jax, which makes it much easier to predict and escape his pressure. EX OS is also a great option against Kabal's pressure. Cornering Kabal is the name of the game, where Kabal is forced to take risks, and Jax has some of the best corner options in the game.

The only thing I use AA grab for (I wouldn't bother with EX AA grab honestly) is to bring my opponent to the corner in a combo. If my back is to the corner and I AA them with 1, I'll do the standard combo (4 1's, 1 2) and then cancel 1 2 into AA grab to get them to the corner.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
AA grab is good against characters with dive kicks (especially Sonya) and other un-anti-airable attacks (Ermac's air blast) since it's invincible against arial attacks. If you want to anti air them but don't want to risk eating some damage then use the AA gotcha instead.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Are there any differences between his first and secondary costumes? It could just be me, but I think it's a little harder nail the corner reset with his secondary.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Well I just recently picked up Jax, and I'm alright with him. (as far as online goes) But I was still wondering what are the basics I should learn about Jax? I've been using some of the GP set-ups, and they've done absolutely amazing.

Another one: Where on the screen can I become most proficient with Jax? Or rather, what is his key streanght, and how do I build around that?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Well I just recently picked up Jax, and I'm alright with him. (as far as online goes) But I was still wondering what are the basics I should learn about Jax? I've been using some of the GP set-ups, and they've done absolutely amazing.

Another one: Where on the screen can I become most proficient with Jax? Or rather, what is his key streanght, and how do I build around that?
In this order footsies, pressure strings, traps, and work on your GP/knockdown setups. I think Jax plays best from anywhere from jump range to in the opponents face.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Whoops haha, wasn't even paying attention haha my b :p
No problem haha, I still play him a little.

I've been trying to level up with him, or rather, learn more of his ins and outs. Good Jax players give me trouble.

*sigh* if only XBlades was still here...